Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Restaurant/Bar Annoyances

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

#241 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

He shrugged and said that he had no control over the "personal" affectations of servers who wanted to wear piercings and have long fingernails. 

Lots of places have dress and appearance codes. 

.... Shel

#242 Taveren

Taveren
  • participating member
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

I've had similar issues when picking up sandwiches at Subway. The person making my sandwich donned clear plastic gloves and then, as she slid my sandwich down the line on a paper sheet, she wiped the counter clean into the little trash openings with her gloved hand and then went back to making my sandwich. I yelled at her to stop and put new gloves on.
I had another Subway employee stop making my sandwich to answer the phone and then she came back to finish making my sandwich with her now-contaminated gloves. I also stopped her from touching my sandwich and told her to put new gloves on.
What's sad is they have this deer-in-the-headlights look when you try to explain what they did wrong and they just don't get it.

If that bothers you I suggest you never eat in a restaurant again.

Edited by Taveren, 22 August 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#243 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

I've had similar issues when picking up sandwiches at Subway. The person making my sandwich donned clear plastic gloves and then, as she slid my sandwich down the line on a paper sheet, she wiped the counter clean into the little trash openings with her gloved hand and then went back to making my sandwich. I yelled at her to stop and put new gloves on.
I had another Subway employee stop making my sandwich to answer the phone and then she came back to finish making my sandwich with her now-contaminated gloves. I also stopped her from touching my sandwich and told her to put new gloves on.
What's sad is they have this deer-in-the-headlights look when you try to explain what they did wrong and they just don't get it.

I was thinking the same thing. There aren't a lot of cooks out there wearing any gloves at all while they handle your food and for every one you see on tv where the chef is yelling at the line cook for not taking a shower after touching the endive and before touching the arugula, there's a whole bunch of them answering phones, wiping their hands on their already dirty shirt, putting lettuce on your sandwich directly after putting a raw burger on the grill, etc. I guess it's easier to not think about since they're not standing right in front of you like at Subway... but there are much more offensive things than wiping some lettuce off the assembly line going on in a lot of places.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#244 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

The pretense of the employees putting on gloves and then dirtying the gloves in plain view while making my sandwich just ticked me off. If you're going to bother to pretend to be sanitary, then keep up the charade completely until I'm gone or why bother?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#245 Arey

Arey
  • participating member
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

In the Asian Supermarket I go to in a nearby community, the cashiers wear those blue disposable gloves. Only they don't dispose of them. They use them over and over again until they're almost black. Yes, it's disgusting, but if I want my Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce , chive dumplings, and MaMa Sita's barbeque sauce where else am I going to get them?.  It's almost 60 miles to Philadelphia.
In  a similar vein, I frequently order 16 chicken drumsticks, skin off at my butcher shop.When peeling them. they reach under the butcher block, grab a very much used, and frankly, filthy apron and use it to yank  the skins off after they've peeled the skin down to the bottom of the drumstick.   When done they then wipe off the butcher block with the same apron, and throw it back down under the butcher block. Several years ago there was a food blog from an eguletteer who had returned to their hometown in India and was posting fascinating pictures of street food they were eating. They did however caution  people that if they hadn't grown up eating this food in this community they might not want to eat it.  Well, I feel the same way about my butcher and his aprons. I've been going there for almost 40 years and have built up an immunity to anything  I could catch.
But those cashiers in the Asian Supermarket with their coal black once blue gloves give me pause.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

#246 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

My personal pet peeve these days, believe it or not, is the overwhelming use of the term "aioli". I'm sick to death of every damned flavored mayonaise out there being referred to as Aioli! Traditional handmade mayo, flavored with real, raw garlic? Thats aioli! Your personal mix of Hellman's, dijon  mustard, and raspberry vinegar? Not at all....

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

#247 quiet1

quiet1
  • participating member
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

The pretense of the employees putting on gloves and then dirtying the gloves in plain view while making my sandwich just ticked me off. If you're going to bother to pretend to be sanitary, then keep up the charade completely until I'm gone or why bother?

I've unfortunately seen this in some health care staff, too. (Not nurses or doctors, but aides working at nursing homes and that sort of thing.) As far as I can tell they think the gloves are to protect THEM from touching things, not to also protect you/other things from cross contamination. And some people seem to be completely unable to grasp the concept. Drove me nuts when I was dealing with it all the time.

As far as other pet peeves - similar to not telling me if a dish isn't available promptly, not telling me promptly (or at all!) if a dish can be prepared the way I asked. MSG is an instant migraine trigger for me in anything other than tiny amounts, so I have to ask about it in places that traditionally are heavy with the MSG - I am perfectly fine with the concept that some dishes have to be marinaded or sauces prepared ahead of time and so there's no way they can prepare it without the MSG if they usually use it, just tell me that's the case so I can pick something else. Don't wait until everything else is ready so that I'm stuck sitting there, the lone one from my party with no food.

#248 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

My personal pet peeve these days, believe it or not, is the overwhelming use of the term "aioli". I'm sick to death of every damned flavored mayonaise out there being referred to as Aioli! Traditional handmade mayo, flavored with real, raw garlic? Thats aioli! Your personal mix of Hellman's, dijon  mustard, and raspberry vinegar? Not at all....

Heh.  How about "confit"?  A confit of tomatoes?  Really?

• gfweb and David Hensley like this

#249 David Hensley

David Hensley
  • participating member
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

I know, right?!!?  When I "confit" something, I make it a point to refer to it on the menu as a "preserved" whatever...

Also, if I hear one more server describe the "umami" of a given menu item, somebody id getting shanked...

• judiu and annabelle like this

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...