Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Kitchen Scale Recommendations, 2011 –

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

Seems like a good model. Unfortunately it also seems as though it doesn't measure out in ounces, though the ACP 500 which has .1 g resolution does. It also looks like it requires you to buy the calibration weights separately. Not huge problems however. Might just take the plunge and buy it. If I get it I'll let you know how it works

I was actually looking into digiweigh models but some reviewers said that it required constant calibration and that even after calibration it would be off. Dirt cheap though.

Edited by takadi, 14 December 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#62 Robenco15

Robenco15
  • participating member
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Yeah I didn't notice, but that does kinda suck it doesn't do ounces. You can always convert I guess. ChefSteps allows you to edit their ingredient amounts in a recipe and then change back and forth between grams and ounces. That could be useful if they use a specific ingredient that you are using. And there is always google.

#63 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

My next purchase will be a kitchen scale.  I have a quick, general question:  Are there any scales where the tare weight can be greater than the capacity of the scale, i.e., say I get a scale with a 1-lb capacity but the bowl or vessel weighs more than 1-lb empty.  Can I still get a tare weight?

.... Shel

#64 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,338 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

No. It's not like the scale isn't weighing your empty bowl; it's just subtracting its weight from the total measurement.

• Shel_B likes this

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#65 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

decent kitchen scales 'weigh' up to 5 kg these days.

that should cover you for a heavy bowl and what you put in it.  in 1 gm increments:

http://www.amazon.co...n kitchen scale

this one even looks cool.   and they are a lot cheaper than when I got mine.

#66 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Is anyone using this scale:  http://www.amazon.co...o digital scale -  OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display

It was recently rated #1 by Cook's Illustrated, but their ratings aren't always representative of how a product behaves over time in the real world.  What are the pluses and minuses of the unit?  Have you had it a while and how has it held up?  Would you buy it again?

I am also considering this scale:  http://www.amazon.co...r digital scale - Polder Easy Read Digital Scale - same questions.

Edited by Shel_B, 30 January 2014 - 01:37 PM.

.... Shel

#67 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

I told my sister to get this and she did. it works for her.

she is no Technocrat.

BB$B has this:

http://www.bedbathan...d=kitchen scale

w coupon, done.   w BB$B something happens, you take it back.

if you want something more 'Industrial" there is this:

http://www.bedbathan...d=kitchen scale

the Slater scale I have from BB$B was 49 about 8 - 10 years ago, now about 29.

Look at what BB$B has, find something that appeals to you. and then youre done.

not so happy a bit later w it? take it back for another.

Of Course, Gov. Brown wants a taste.  He deserves it.

#68 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Is anyone using this scale:  http://www.amazon.co...o digital scale -  OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display

It was recently rated #1 by Cook's Illustrated, but their ratings aren't always representative of how a product behaves over time in the real world.  What are the pluses and minuses of the unit?  Have you had it a while and how has it held up?  Would you buy it again?

I use this. My minor complaints are: the backlight often goes out quicker than I want it to, and sometimes, but not always, when I remove something, it goes back to -1g or something in that range, but a quick zero out solves it.  Otherwise it's fine, the pull out display is EXTREMELY useful

• Shel_B likes this

#69 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:45 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned upthread, but whatever scale you get, make sure it takes normal, easy to find batteries like AAAs or something like that. My first scale used some sort of strange battery, and when it ran out I was unable to replace it. Had to get another scale.

#70 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,674 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

my old but fine salter takes a 9 volt.  I recharge them and all my batteries.

you can get an inexpensive charger at Harbor Freight.  works fine.

#71 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Don't know if this has been mentioned upthread, but whatever scale you get, make sure it takes normal, easy to find batteries like AAAs or something like that. My first scale used some sort of strange battery, and when it ran out I was unable to replace it. Had to get another scale.

I agree, and for that reason I'm only looking at scales that take AA or AAA batteries. 

.... Shel

#72 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I'm heading to the local 3B as soon as I finish my coffee.  Taking a handful of coupons with me.  I'll look at scales as part of my shopping spree.

I like the idea of the scale I mentioned in my post because the tray is stainless steel, but I like the price of the one you mentioned, and maybe it'll be good enough for my needs, especially since I can't say for sure how much I'll use it.  Thanks for the link.

.... Shel

#73 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:24 PM

Done!  I got the scale you mentioned and now I'll see how clever I was to get the lower capacity unit.  I like the somewhat smaller size compared to the 11-lb scale - it'll be easier to store, and the price with the ubiquitous coupon and Gov. Brown's cut was easy on the wallet.  If it doesn't work for me, I'll switch to the 11-pounder.  Gotta love BBB.  Thanks again for the pointer.

Edited by Shel_B, 31 January 2014 - 01:24 PM.

.... Shel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist