Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Hot Coffee with a Straw?!?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

I saw something today I'd never seen before. A student at Johnson and Wales brought back coffee and iced tea for several people in the bread classroom (including yours truly -- more on that visit later), along with straws for all the cold drinks. However, one of the iced tea drinkers was short a straw, and when we looked around to see why, one visitor was drinking the hot coffee through a straw stuck into the little hole in the cover.

I have never seen this before. Does it have some meaning of which I'm unaware?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#2 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Lipstick?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#3 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

Nope. He wasn't wearing lipstick, and given who it was (male culinary professor) I would have been surprised if it was lip gloss, ChapStick, or any other emollient. Maybe, but... nah.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#4 heidih

heidih
  • 10,778 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

I have seen that a few times recently. Different ages but always a woman. Maybe it eliminates the dribble factor of those openings in the plastic covers.

#5 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:02 PM

Maybe a cultural thing? The only time I ever noticed a man doing that, he was also eating a hamburger impaled on a fork, and acting as though it was a very ordinary thing to do; he was an exchange student at the Graduate Center at 34th Street.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#6 Special K

Special K
  • participating member
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

My mom does that. She says it keeps her teeth from being stained.

#7 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I did it the last time I burnt my upper lip making hard candy. Idiote. :raz:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#8 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

My mom does that. She says it keeps her teeth from being stained.

This is the reason I've heard given for this.

#9 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

So it just goes down the gullet, bypassing the mouth?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#10 nakji

nakji
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I saw something today I'd never seen before. A student at Johnson and Wales brought back coffee and iced tea for several people in the bread classroom (including yours truly -- more on that visit later), along with straws for all the cold drinks. However, one of the iced tea drinkers was short a straw, and when we looked around to see why, one visitor was drinking the hot coffee through a straw stuck into the little hole in the cover.

I have never seen this before. Does it have some meaning of which I'm unaware?

I used to do this with Starbucks. I take my coffee black, which is always quite hot at SB, I guess for people who add a lot of milk/cream. Drinking it through a straw kept me from burning my tongue many times.

#11 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Here it's a health department thing, all drinks for employees/students in a commercial kitchen must drink from a closed container with a straw. Having the mouth touch the outside of a container like a coffee cup top or water bottle rim is not permitted.

#12 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:25 PM

Here it's a health department thing, all drinks for employees/students in a commercial kitchen must drink from a closed container with a straw. Having the mouth touch the outside of a container like a coffee cup top or water bottle rim is not permitted.

OK, I'm intrigued. What, exactly is the rationale behind this? I cannot, for all the regulatory/quality/safety/biosafety/pseudo-science geek experience I've had in my career, for the life of me even begin to figure out why a straw is better than a bottle rim or an adult "sippy" cup lid.

'Splain, pleaze, Looooocy.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#13 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

It's supposed to minimize the chance that a person's hand would touch the spot where their mouth touched. With a water bottle, you have to unscrew a cap that may have germs on it because your mouth touched the rim of the bottle then the cap was replaced -over and over again. With a coffee cup, you have a cup with a lid with a hole in it, but, when it's close t being full you grab it near the top because that area is cooler than the main body of the cup. People might grab the cup under the rim, holding an arc under the lid. Or they might grab two opposite side of the rim with their fingertips, holding their palm above the lid. Either way, it's possible to touch an area where the lips rested, thus transferring bacteria from the mouth/chin to the hand or glove.

A straw limits the contact with the mouth to a small, easily identified area of contamination.

#14 MikeHartnett

MikeHartnett
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:05 AM

So it just goes down the gullet, bypassing the mouth?

Correct. All the caffeine without all that awful coffee taste!

#15 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:55 AM

Yup, the folks who use a straw for ice tea do it so they wont have to taste all that awful ice tea, same thing for all those milkshake drinkers in the world, at least by that logic.

Drink thru a straw. Does it skip your mouth? Really? It just skips the front teeth - you know, the ones that show coffee stains. And if you've paid to have your teeth bleached, you would care about these things.
"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#16 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 242 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:24 AM

I did it after dental work once..

#17 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

Update: A nice fellow named Alex sent me a link to his company that makes, lo and behold, straws for hot beverages. Yes, it's the Hot Straw! Dentist recommended!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#18 Mjx

Mjx

Senior Host

• host
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Looked at that site, and, WHAAAAAT?! They're messing with us.

I buy the reasons that have been suggested upthread, here – workplace regulations thing, the ouch-I've-trashed-the-outside-of-my-lips thing – but the reasons this website suggests on the home page are kind of implausible sounding: 'Spill stopper'?! They've got to be kidding. I'm the sort of person who can frequently be seen falling upstairs, and even I manage to get coffee from my cup to my mouth without dousing myself; on those occasions that I'm not coordinated enough to accomplish this, a straw isn't really going to help.

And, unless the coffee shoots straight down your throat, bypassing your mouth entirely, it's still going to come in contact with your teeth. Also, I've never found coffee to stain that persistently (tea is much worse), and the 'sugar eroding the tooth enamel' thing sounds kind of nuts, because I don't know anyone whose only source of sugar is their coffee (and again, even when using a straw, the coffee is going to swish about your mouth a bit).

Is this just the solution to a 'problem' they've invented themselves, or what?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Senior Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#19 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Maybe the man had Parkinsons or other shakiness? I know a couple of folks who have pretty good tremors and they use straws to help them drink without spilling all over.

#20 bigtealady

bigtealady
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, I also saw a woman drinking her coffee through a straw. Middle-aged actually. She could have burned her tongue, I guess.

#21 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,394 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Using a straw, you will be sucking up all the ground settled on the bottom of the cup.

dcarch

#22 CKatCook

CKatCook
  • participating member
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

I have been known to drink coffee with a straw, not only does it not stain my teeth, but I get to stir the coffee with it when I need to, much better than those little stir sticks that are way too flimsy, IMHO...
"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"
-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child