Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

sopa de pederas

Spanish

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:47 AM

Our staff is planning an after-exams dinner / staff meeting. One of the restaurants we looked into offered sopa de pederas as a soup choice.

I gathered that "stone soup" is Portugese and is made with anything that's on hand with appropriate seasonings, seafood of some sort? I need more information so we'll have some idea of what to expect.

Thanks!
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

#2 Brainfoodie

Brainfoodie
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:25 AM

"Sopa de Pedra" comes from an old Portuguese legend of a monk who wanted to make a soup but no one has giving him anything so he said "well I'll have to make a soup with only a stone then". Villagers felt sorry for this and started giving him more and more ingredients to add.

Anyway eventually this became a local speciality of Almeirim, in the north of Portugal. It's a very meaty soup (no seafood!!) and the now official ingredients are:

red kidney beans (partially mashed)
pig's ear
blood sausage
chorizo
smoked pork belly
potatoes
onions
garlic
bay leaf
coriander
and of course salt and pepper

In the traditional restaurant they used to serve it with a (large, easy to see) stone too, but I'm not sure that's still allowed by EU laws..

Edited by Brainfoodie, 14 February 2011 - 04:29 AM.

#3 Dejah

Dejah
  • participating member
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info', Brainfoodie. :smile: I'll report back once we'vw had the dinner!
Dejah
www.hillmanweb.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spanish