Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Brands of commercially produced yogurt we love

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm not a fan of non-fat yogurt, nor do I buy yogurt with fruit or flavor in it. My only exception to that is a local east bay yogurt called Saint Benoit. They make a full fat lemon yogurt that is pretty nice. Their product comes in a recyclable ceramic jar, is sold at some farmers' markets and several local groceries as well. I have no idea how widely this is available.

For old-fashioned Euro-style yogurt I still think Pavel's full fat is great, and the 2% is okay. I do very much like the Bellwether sheeps milk yogurt but don't buy it very often. That actually tastes a bit like the yogurt I had in Crete many years ago, which I am almost sure was sheep's milk.

My favorite Greek-style yogurt is still Fage, and I prefer the 2%; it seems richer that any other 2% yogurt. It's easy to come by and it's versatile. The Chobani selection everywhere seems limited to non-fat, and mostly flavored. I did find some non-fat plain and tried that, but didn't think it was anything special. My TJ's sells the Fage, so I buy it there. I suppose it would be worth trying the TJ Greek. Next time.

#62 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Today I bought two more containers of Siggi's 2% skyr.

Plus a large full-fat Turkish yogurt called Yörük. Have yet to try it.

Has anyone tried the goat's milk yogurt from Coach Farms?

#63 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,888 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

My usual yogurt is Fage (full fat, please), but when I can find it, sheep's milk yogurt from Old Chatham Sheepherding Company is fantastic.

#64 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

We were down in the States last week and I had Dannon's Oikos Greek yoghurt. The full fat was really good. I was impressed!

#65 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

I'm not a fan of non-fat yogurt, nor do I buy yogurt with fruit or flavor in it. My only exception to that is a local east bay yogurt called Saint Benoit. They make a full fat lemon yogurt that is pretty nice. Their product comes in a recyclable ceramic jar, is sold at some farmers' markets and several local groceries as well. I have no idea how widely this is available.

[...] 

My TJ's sells the Fage, so I buy it there. I suppose it would be worth trying the TJ Greek. Next time.

St Benoit is nice, but I don't buy it often, much preferring the convenience and selection at TJ's.

Do try the TJ's Greek ... a lot of people feel it's quite good - it won a Bay Area yogurt tasting a while ago.  They now have an organic Greek yogurt which I've not yet tried - that's next up.  Also, you might want to try Straus Family Farms organic Greek yogurt.

.... Shel

#66 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

It may get me banned from here, but I prefer ShopRite plain, whole milk yogurt.  Also their sour cream.  (I'm having ShopRite sour cream at the moment for my dessert.)

#67 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Andie, I feel the same way about the TJ's Greek yogurt. It's so superior in things like raita and other applications where you want thick and creamy. It doesn't break down and get runny, and you don't have to fool around with draining it to get that thick consistency. And the flavor is outstanding. I've noticed it stays fresher, longer, as well. It's a good product.

Another vote in favor of TJ's Greek Yogurt, although that's not the only yogurt we buy. Toots likes TJ's goat milk yogurt, and I enjoy it as well with our morning fruit. Nancy's organic is another favorite of mine.

It seems TJ's has changed their Greek yogurt.  It now comes in a different container, and the yogurt seems more watery, less thick, and appears to "seep" more.  I no longer buy it.  However, their Organic Greek yogurt does not have those problems, and that's what I've been buying lately, as well as Straus Organic Greek yogurt. 

http://strausfamilyc...-dairy-products

Edited by Shel_B, 04 November 2013 - 11:01 PM.

.... Shel

#68 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Another vote for Noosa.  It's not the thick Greek style that's gotten so popular recently, but it's super smooth and creamy.  Love that stuff.

Edited by jsmeeker, 30 November 2013 - 06:06 PM.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#69 Jennifer02

Jennifer02
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

Chobani is also one of my favorite  but sometimes I use to buy coconut milk vegan from COYO, it  is healthier.