Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Brands of commercially produced yogurt we love

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

I'm not a fan of non-fat yogurt, nor do I buy yogurt with fruit or flavor in it. My only exception to that is a local east bay yogurt called Saint Benoit. They make a full fat lemon yogurt that is pretty nice. Their product comes in a recyclable ceramic jar, is sold at some farmers' markets and several local groceries as well. I have no idea how widely this is available.

For old-fashioned Euro-style yogurt I still think Pavel's full fat is great, and the 2% is okay. I do very much like the Bellwether sheeps milk yogurt but don't buy it very often. That actually tastes a bit like the yogurt I had in Crete many years ago, which I am almost sure was sheep's milk.

My favorite Greek-style yogurt is still Fage, and I prefer the 2%; it seems richer that any other 2% yogurt. It's easy to come by and it's versatile. The Chobani selection everywhere seems limited to non-fat, and mostly flavored. I did find some non-fat plain and tried that, but didn't think it was anything special. My TJ's sells the Fage, so I buy it there. I suppose it would be worth trying the TJ Greek. Next time.

#62 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

Today I bought two more containers of Siggi's 2% skyr.

Plus a large full-fat Turkish yogurt called Yörük. Have yet to try it.

Has anyone tried the goat's milk yogurt from Coach Farms?

#63 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:02 PM

My usual yogurt is Fage (full fat, please), but when I can find it, sheep's milk yogurt from Old Chatham Sheepherding Company is fantastic.

#64 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:08 AM

We were down in the States last week and I had Dannon's Oikos Greek yoghurt. The full fat was really good. I was impressed!

#65 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

I'm not a fan of non-fat yogurt, nor do I buy yogurt with fruit or flavor in it. My only exception to that is a local east bay yogurt called Saint Benoit. They make a full fat lemon yogurt that is pretty nice. Their product comes in a recyclable ceramic jar, is sold at some farmers' markets and several local groceries as well. I have no idea how widely this is available.

[...] 

My TJ's sells the Fage, so I buy it there. I suppose it would be worth trying the TJ Greek. Next time.

St Benoit is nice, but I don't buy it often, much preferring the convenience and selection at TJ's.

Do try the TJ's Greek ... a lot of people feel it's quite good - it won a Bay Area yogurt tasting a while ago.  They now have an organic Greek yogurt which I've not yet tried - that's next up.  Also, you might want to try Straus Family Farms organic Greek yogurt.

... Shel

"... ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

#66 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

It may get me banned from here, but I prefer ShopRite plain, whole milk yogurt.  Also their sour cream.  (I'm having ShopRite sour cream at the moment for my dessert.)

#67 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Andie, I feel the same way about the TJ's Greek yogurt. It's so superior in things like raita and other applications where you want thick and creamy. It doesn't break down and get runny, and you don't have to fool around with draining it to get that thick consistency. And the flavor is outstanding. I've noticed it stays fresher, longer, as well. It's a good product.

Another vote in favor of TJ's Greek Yogurt, although that's not the only yogurt we buy. Toots likes TJ's goat milk yogurt, and I enjoy it as well with our morning fruit. Nancy's organic is another favorite of mine.

It seems TJ's has changed their Greek yogurt.  It now comes in a different container, and the yogurt seems more watery, less thick, and appears to "seep" more.  I no longer buy it.  However, their Organic Greek yogurt does not have those problems, and that's what I've been buying lately, as well as Straus Organic Greek yogurt. 

http://strausfamilyc...-dairy-products

Edited by Shel_B, 04 November 2013 - 11:01 PM.

... Shel

"... ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself "

#68 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Another vote for Noosa.  It's not the thick Greek style that's gotten so popular recently, but it's super smooth and creamy.  Love that stuff.

Edited by jsmeeker, 30 November 2013 - 06:06 PM.

• Deryn likes this

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#69 Jennifer02

Jennifer02
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

Chobani is also one of my favorite  but sometimes I use to buy coconut milk vegan from COYO, it  is healthier.

#70 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Finally, finally, we are back in the USA and able to buy and try Fage yogurt.  One taste and I was sold.  It IS THE BEST commercial yogurt I have ever tasted, bar none.  :wub: :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#71 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:31 AM

Fage Full-Fat for me!

• Darienne likes this

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#72 Deryn

Deryn
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:01 AM

I have been on a Noosa (strawberry/rhubarb or raspberry) binge for quite a while now. Otherwise though I only buy plain Greek yogourt - and it seems it is usually Liberte most recently, although if I can't find that Oikos is ok. And always full fat, no matter what I get.

Edited by Deryn, 22 December 2014 - 10:01 AM.

#73 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

DiggingDogFarm...we are in a small town in Utah and could find only 2%, but could imagine full fat would be awesome.

Still 2% is too thick for eating on granola and banana for me. Luckily one of the pups loves yogurt and could help out.

• DiggingDogFarm likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#74 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

Otherwise though I only buy plain Greek yogourt - and it seems it is usually Liberte most recently, although if I can't find that Oikos is ok. And always full fat, no matter what I get.

We bought Liberte for a long time from Costco in Ontario, although Ed began to complain that it was too watery for him and now it's Astro Balkan for us back home.

Edited by Darienne, 22 December 2014 - 10:11 AM.

• Deryn likes this
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#75 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:38 AM

I love the Trader Joe's "European Style No Fat Plain" yogurt. It's very thin and smooth, almost drinkable, but I just love the tartness of it, it's so flavorful. I'm not a fan of Greek yogurts at all.

#76 Dave W

Dave W
  • participating member
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:03 PM

I really liked Noosa when I first tried it but it's just a bit too sweet for my tastes. So we usually end up with a large container of fage plain 2% for versatility purposes.

#77 Deryn

Deryn
  • participating member
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:49 PM

What I like about the strawberry-rhubarb Noosa is the tartness that is added with the rhubarb, which does help to cut the sweetness I find. I don't normally eat sweetened yogourt at all but do love the creaminess of Noosa I admit. However, it is very unlikely I will find it back here in Nova Scotia so I guess it will be just a southern, twice a year treat for me from now on.

Thanks for the comment about the watery-ness of Liberte now, Darienne - haven't bought any in a while so will be aware next time I am in town for groceries. Greek yogourt should not be watery in my opinion - seems a bit shady to me to try to get us to pay extra for less actual product in the container. No real brand loyalty here - if companies continue to mess with consumers I will switch in a heartbeat, and pay more if I have to for a more honest, better product.

#78 ChocoMom

ChocoMom
  • participating member
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:49 PM

We had Fage around here once but I can't find it anymore. Bummer.    So, Greek Gods - Full Fat- Honey Vanilla.  Great with granola.    I also use it for the kids' smoothies,  esp before my daughter heads off to the slopes.  I swear that stuff keeps her satisfied and full of energy.

Finding it with full fat is sometimes a challenge.  Wallyworld is about the only place around here that provides that option. Everywhere else it's either no fat or low fat.   Blah.

I got desperate once, and made my own. Got half gal of raw milk, (1/4 was cream!), followed the directions, and 24 hours later--- I was completely amazed. If I only had the time to mess with that every week!

• Deryn likes this

#79 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:34 AM

We had Fage around here once but I can't find it anymore. Bummer.    So, Greek Gods - Full Fat- Honey Vanilla.  Great with granola.    I also use it for the kids' smoothies,  esp before my daughter heads off to the slopes.  I swear that stuff keeps her satisfied and full of energy.

Finding it with full fat is sometimes a challenge.  Wallyworld is about the only place around here that provides that option. Everywhere else it's either no fat or low fat.   Blah.

I got desperate once, and made my own. Got half gal of raw milk, (1/4 was cream!), followed the directions, and 24 hours later--- I was completely amazed. If I only had the time to mess with that every week!

Costco has the Greek Gods Full fat here (not every time I'm there though).  I freeze dried it and it was wonderful in a bark.  

• Deryn likes this

#80 ChocoMom

ChocoMom
  • participating member
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:21 AM

Kerry,

Sadly, we don't have a Costco (or a Sam's club, or a Trader Joe's) anywhere in this area.  In fact, I don't believe any exist in the entire upper peninsula of Michigan. So, for that kind of stuff, I'd have to drive a couple hundred miles to Appleton or Green Bay. :sad:   

So, to freeze dry it, how would you mix it in the bark?  It sounds absolutely amazing!    Mmmmmmmm. :smile:

#81 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 10,638 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

Essentially it's dry - so I melt and temper the chocolate and mix in the yogurt along with some freeze dried fruit.

#82 tinyragebaking

tinyragebaking
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:53 PM

Have to post another vote for Noosa yogurt! It is very creamy.  I normally don't like fruit-flavored based yogurts, but I really enjoy the tartness of the Noosa's lemon yogurt. I eat that for lunch topped with walnuts. The cherry flavor I found too sweet and for some reason my grocery store doesn't carry plain. 

So many suggestions for Trader Joe's Greek yogurt! I'll have to give that a try! 

#83 CatPoet

CatPoet
  • legacy participant
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:02 AM

I used Valio lactose free over here, it is really creamy and lovely.  And a few months ago they  two companies  who make great  Turkish and Greek yoghurt came out with a  lactose free version, woho!.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

#84 naguere

naguere
  • participating member
  • 441 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

Here in Cheltenham, England i buy a Kilo pot,  Milbona (Lidl own brand) full cream and Greek style. It has a good shelf life and costs only £1.20. It is delicious.

I read recently that full fat natural Yogurt is not as fattening as semi-skimmed.

Who cares how time progresses..

Today I am drinking ale.

(Edgar Allen Poe)

#85 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

Those of you in New York State or nearby, seek out Ronnybrook Farms yogurt. 

#86 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Not available in this part of New York State.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#87 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

Those of you in New York State or nearby, seek out Ronnybrook Farms yogurt. 

Not available in my part of NY either. I think they must be another of those downstate-only things.

I love Wake Robin Farm's yogurt, but since they decided not to sell at area Wegmans stores anymore because they couldn't meet production (12 Jersey cows at the farm, according to their website), it's become an even more special treat.

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2