Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Keurig reusable filter basket

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:07 PM

We have a Keurig coffee machine at work. However, I think the K-cups are way too expensive, so I was happy when I found a reusable filter like this at a local store for $5.00. When I was reading the directions, it suggested to use a French press grind, and NOT to use a fine grind like an espresso grind so as not to under-extract.

I used some French Market coffee, which is pre-ground for drip, for my first cup, and it turned out ok, but a bit weak.

Am I wrong to think that the Keurig brews too quickly to get good extraction out of anything more coarse than drip? It seems to me that the directions are counter-intuitive.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#2 mbhank

mbhank
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:29 AM

I use a Turkish grind, which is very fine, in the "My K-Cup" and find that the coffee is fine. I have not tried a coarser grind in it yet.
'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

#3 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:50 AM

Thank you! I will try that.

Do you get a lot of "sludge" in the bottom of your cup of coffee?
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#4 mbhank

mbhank
  • participating member
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

I get no sludge at the bottom of the cup. By the way, Keurig told me that you should replace the baskets every six months or so. I don't believe that for one minute. I put mine in the dishwasher every so often and they are as good as new.
'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

#5 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:08 PM

Thanks, again!

I forgot mine for work, today, so I'll try the finer grind tomorrow.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#6 jeffkarsondo

jeffkarsondo
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:15 PM

Great idea! I'm gonna try this asap.

Thanks!

#7 thock

thock
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

I did try it on Friday, with a pretty fine grind (from my Capresso Infinity (about the middle of the finest set of settings)), and it worked well. No sludge, either.
Tracy
Lenexa, KS, USA

#8 mcdobson

mcdobson
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

I have been using an Eco cup, and love it

#9 Ashen

Ashen
  • participating member
  • 502 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

I like a stronger than average coffee and I was struggling to get something worthwile out of my keurig my k-cup but this instructables post really helped. I use an espresso roast , the grind is fairly fine. I actually brought it down much finer after seeing what size grind they use in actual k-cups. I also tap and tamp slightly along with using the method in the instructables link.

http://www.instructa...m-your-My-Kcup/
"Why is the rum always gone?"
Captain Jack Sparrow