Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Cooking with "Modernist Cuisine" (Part 1)

Modernist Cookbook

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
596 replies to this topic

#571 emannths

emannths
  • participating member
  • 268 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:43 PM

When are people without "connections" going to be able to get this book?

Don't be afraid--just give it a whirl from what you see here and elsewhere on the internet. After all, that's how they came up with the recipes. And does anyone actually run out of Activa?

#572 nathanm

nathanm
  • participating member
  • 823 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:44 AM

I think it important to point out that many peoople who now have this book had no special connections of any kind. They simply pre-ordered from Amazon.

The only connection the people posting here had is that they had followed the progress of the book for 4 years or so on egullet postings so they were able to make a quick decision and order early.

I'm sorry that the book is back ordered - demand has exceeded my expectations. People who ordered by mid-March will get their books in the next couple weeks, if they haven't gotten them already. After some point in mid to late March the orders will be filled from the second printing - those books should arrive to customers by late June.

Note that there is an advantage in ordering sooner rather than later because the 2nd printing will be shipped in stages. The sooner you order, the sooner you get your book. Somebody ordering today may not a book until mid to late July.
Nathan

#573 jackal10

jackal10
  • participating member
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:49 AM

Any idea when we will get the book in the UK? Amazon.co.uk has no date, and I ordered last October

#574 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:10 AM

Tonight, after a number of days preparation, we had BBQ ribs with Memphis BBQ sauce. I must confess to not following the recipes exactly but why should this cookbook be different from any other I have?

The dish comprised smoked and sous vide cooked pork spareribs with the Modernist Cuisine Memphis BBQ sauce (a caution for Aussies, our chili powder is way stronger than the recommended chili powder; I'd cut it down by a factor of four at least -- I really like hot food but had to over double the amount to negate the effects of the powder. I've had this problem before with Chili powder amounts in US-sourced Mexican recipes).

The accompaniments were: a white cabbage coleslaw (similar to the book, tangy and flavoured with mustard and horseradish to give a bit of bite but with the addition of some grated carrot), a hot potato salad in which the potatoes were cooked sous vide but the recipe was for a German hot potato salad. Finally it was accompanied by green tomatoes deep fried in Panko breadcrumbs.

ribs.jpg

Edited by nickrey, 09 April 2011 - 07:11 AM.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#575 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

Questions and possible typo on Pressure Cooked White Chicken Stock 2-301
2) The recipe makes no mention of using oil to brown the ground chicken meat but earlier in the chapter it says that the meat should be browned to avoid it clumping together (and thus eliminating much of the benefit of using ground meat). Did the recipe assume that I would do this in an earlier step? In the parametric table for oil it says 8% which would be 2/3 cup in my 2L batch.

I've made this stock as written in the recipe (not the parametric variation), and I believe the reason it doesn't call for browning the meat is simply because it's a "white" stock. I didn't brown mine and it turned out fine. I don't know about the differences in suggested scalings.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#576 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:16 AM

Gorgeous, Nick. Tell us about the texture of those ribs....

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#577 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:29 AM

No knife needed. Fall apart tender.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#578 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

Questions and possible typo on Pressure Cooked White Chicken Stock 2-301

I needed some stock so decided to use this recipe for my first attempt with MC. I skimmed the section and then went to the recipe and completed it as it was written and then, while it was pressure cooking, read the section more thoroughly. I have a few questions

1) On page 297 under "Making Basic Stock" item #1 it talks about using water weight as 100% and then for example use 200g of chicken wings with the 1000g of water but if you look at the parametric table it shows 40% scaling for wings in chicken stock. To confuse this even more, the recipe on page 301 uses 75% weight in wings! So is it 20%, 40% or 75%? At least one of these must be a typo

2) The recipe makes no mention of using oil to brown the ground chicken meat but earlier in the chapter it says that the meat should be browned to avoid it clumping together (and thus eliminating much of the benefit of using ground meat). Did the recipe assume that I would do this in an earlier step? In the parametric table for oil it says 8% which would be 2/3 cup in my 2L batch.

It seemed to turn out good although won't be able to cook with it until tomorrow

rg

Bumping this as I see the same discrepancies in percentages. Can someone address this please?
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#579 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

I have a question regarding the pressure cooked carrot soup. I don't have the books yet (2 more weeks hopefully!) but I seem to recall from the videos talking about this recipe that no water is added to the carrots inside the pressure cooker. I'm pretty sure that most pressure cookers require you to fill them to a certain level with a liquid.

Could you clarify on how the pressure cooked carrots are made? Thanks!

I am actually making this soup now. Unfortunately my centrifuge is out at the repair shop :biggrin: so I will not be centrifuging the juice needed for the second part of the recipe.

I figured I would try the recipe without the CF juice first and then pay a visit to Dave Arnold at the FCI with my 645 gr of juice and have him spin it for me and try it again to see the difference.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#580 jorach

jorach
  • participating member
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:33 AM

I got mine last Wednesday.

#581 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:40 AM

I have a question regarding the pressure cooked carrot soup. I don't have the books yet (2 more weeks hopefully!) but I seem to recall from the videos talking about this recipe that no water is added to the carrots inside the pressure cooker. I'm pretty sure that most pressure cookers require you to fill them to a certain level with a liquid.

Could you clarify on how the pressure cooked carrots are made? Thanks!

I am actually making this soup now. Unfortunately my centrifuge is out at the repair shop :biggrin: so I will not be centrifuging the juice needed for the second part of the recipe.

I figured I would try the recipe without the CF juice first and then pay a visit to Dave Arnold at the FCI with my 645 gr of juice and have him spin it for me and try it again to see the difference.

I'm making this this week as well: are you just using normal carrot juice, or omitting it entirely?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#582 abadoozy

abadoozy
  • participating member
  • 243 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

For those of you who have made the mushroom ketchup - any good suppliers for freeze-dried shiitakes or shiitake powder? Or can I substitute normally-dried shiitakes (or even porcinis? I have a ton of dried porcini)? I think I've found everything else, but I'm coming up with nothing on these two items.

#583 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

I used dried shiitakes from the local Asian market, whizzed in the food processor to a fine powder.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#584 Dave the Cook

Dave the Cook

Executive Director

• manager
  • 7,341 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:02 AM

My grocery store carries dried shiitakes, and one package, though probably expensive compared to Chris' source, was exactly the amount needed. I didn't powder them, just put them in the pot. Everything gets blended anyway.

I also considered dried porcini since I already had some, but decided to follow the recipe as written as closely as I could. Having done that now, I think porcini would work fine for the next batch.

Edited by Dave the Cook, 09 April 2011 - 11:05 AM.
clarification

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

#585 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:13 AM

I'm making this this week as well: are you just using normal carrot juice, or omitting it entirely?

I just used straight carrot juice. I also just used straight unsalted plurga butter as I couldn't make the carrot butter either.

I was a bit worried about the liquid level in the pressure cooker but a ridiculous amount of liquid came out from the carrots. You start with 80gr of butter. I weighed the liquid after pressure cooking and I had almost 140gr of liquid post 50 minute cooking.

Carrots before cooking:
car_soup1.gif

Carrots after cooking:
car_soup2.gif

The recipe calls for running the puree of carrots (post juice adding) through a strainer, but after running it through the vita-prep it was like silk. I ran it through anyway and 99.9% of it passed through.

After adding the juice and more butter, the final soup:
car_soup3.gif

A few notes: The aroma of the carrots cooking in the PC are pretty amazing. It is this elusive sweet smell with hints of caramel. Very pleasant. I think depending on the sweetness of your carrots the 7.5 gr of salt may be too high. This are early spring carrots and while not "young" I would say they are youngish carrots and moderately sweet. I found the carrots when I tasted them coming out of the PC to be salty, almost to the point where you can't eat a lot of them. In the soup, the salt has a strong note in it. I would probably cut it back to 5gr on the next batch.

Edited by johnder, 09 April 2011 - 11:13 AM.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#586 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:54 PM

Does anyone know what type (brand) of labels the crew of MC used in order to put dates/contents on sous-vide vacuum-sealed ingredients? They seem to survive the sous-vide process without difficulty or are they added afterwards?

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#587 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

I have a couple of smaller recipes in process now:

Salt Gel (5-9)
Alsatian Mustard (5-35)

Will report back with pics in a bit on them.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#588 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:26 PM

The higher end PolySci chamber sealers come with a built in HACCP label printers on them. The labels from my experience would stay on for a few hours, but the longer cooking processes >48 hrs, they would start to come off. At least on the version I have used.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#589 blackp

blackp
  • participating member
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

I don't know what type of labels MC used, but I have had good results using paper tape labels and a Brother QL-570 printer. The printer attaches to a PC or mac by USB. Unfortunately the supplied software for the mac is not as good as that for the PC, but for simple labels (say 3 lines of text) the shortcomings are not a problem. The continuous paper tape labels (DK-22205) work out pretty cheap - one roll is over 30 metres long and each label at the size I make them is only 28mm so I get well over 1000 labels per roll of paper tape.

I find that the self adhesive glue does not come unstuck at SV temps or times - the only problem if you can call it that is that the print fades a bit with long/hot cooking although it can still be read after 48 hours @ 57C.

Cheers,

Peter.

#590 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

I don't know what type of labels MC used, but I have had good results using paper tape labels and a Brother QL-570 printer. .....

Thanks, Peter. I was hoping for the labels that can be hand-written with I guess a permanent marker.

My 2004 eG Blog

#591 bobag87

bobag87
  • participating member
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

We just finished two days of experimenting with the book and are pleased to report that our efforts were mostly successful. The bad news first -- the Arzak egg. We have been trying to figure this out for 3 years ever since we were served it at Arzak. The first try according to MC's 12 minutes -- yolks over done. Tried again at 10 minutes and the whites were not fully set. Oh well. Aside from this we tried the following with great success:

WD50 egg yolks (Egg Salad Sandwich) -- Perfect texture to the egg yolks and we did eat them on brioche as a finger sandwich. Everyone loved this.

Idiazabal Gnocchi -- This was fantastic. It took time and effort, but both the broth and the gnocchi were fantastic.

Spherified Olives -- This is an easy approach to this dish with a much greater success rate than I have had with other variations.

Hanger Steak Tartar -- Great techniques in the recipe and we enjoyed this. The only complaint was the sorbet was overly sweet to our tastes.

We also used the compressed watermelon (salt and pepper then compress in chamber vac) with feta, prosciutto, champagne vinegrette and micro green garnish which was a unanimous hit.

All I can say is the books are a true work of art, easy to use and a lot of fun.

#592 PedroG

PedroG
  • participating member
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

I don't know what type of labels MC used, but I have had good results using paper tape labels and a Brother QL-570 printer. .....

Thanks, Peter. I was hoping for the labels that can be hand-written with I guess a permanent marker.

Hi Anna,
usually I label my SV bags with a Brother P-Touch with laminated labelling tape. When I am lazy or in a hurry, I use a Stabilo OHPen permanent marker on Milian Time Tape, and sometimes I just write directly on the SV-bag with the OHPen.
I get Milian Time Tape from Milian Switzerland; for Canada you may order at Milian USA.
BTW in the picture you see a cut of brisket after 48h/55.5°C, and the original supermarket-label which I vacuumed between the cling-film and the bag just got a little bit moist, but the liquid from the meat remained inside the cling-film.
Regards
Pedro
Labelling.jpg
Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro
eG Ethics Signatory

#593 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:36 AM

Hi Anna,
usually I label my SV bags with a Brother P-Touch with laminated labelling tape. When I am lazy or in a hurry, I use a Stabilo OHPen permanent marker on Milian Time Tape, and sometimes I just write directly on the SV-bag with the OHPen.

Thank you so much. Anna

My 2004 eG Blog

#594 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know what type (brand) of labels the crew of MC used in order to put dates/contents on sous-vide vacuum-sealed ingredients? They seem to survive the sous-vide process without difficulty or are they added afterwards?

I found these today

No idea how much they are though, looks like you need to call.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#595 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:53 PM

Here is the salt gel pucks, going to grate these and use them on some grilled prime shell steaks tomorrow.

sgel1.gif
sgel2.gif

Edited by johnder, 10 April 2011 - 01:58 PM.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#596 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:49 PM

I found these today

No idea how much they are though, looks like you need to call.

WOW thank you. Looks like they will fill the bill. Will have to investigate availability and price this side of the 49 th. Anna

My 2004 eG Blog

#597 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:56 AM

SV labels: those look very interesting.

Ive just been using a Sharpie as I make the bags the ink its on the top above the seal. its water 'safe' but i havent kept anything in the freezer yet so perhaps it might rub off?
unsure.gif

[Moderator note: This topic continues in Cooking with "Modernist Cuisine" (Part 2)]

Edited by Mjx, 03 July 2013 - 02:15 AM.
Moderator note added.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist, Cookbook