Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

eG Foodblog: johnder, slkinsey, weinoo (2011) - A tale of two boroughs

Foodblog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
316 replies to this topic

#31 hathor

hathor
  • participating member
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Good lord, it's the Holy Trinity blogging this week! Buckle your seat belts it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Tuesday cocktail suggestion: Martinez
An oldie but goodie that deserves more attention.

Mystery Basket Competition: In an effort to add some spice to this blog, I'm offering 1 pound of Stumptown coffee to the one who comes up with them best efforts in this competition. Can we add a poll to this thread?
(Coming clean: I have a pound of Stumptown, but no grinder, and I was going to give it to Mitch anyway, but this is more interesting.)

#32 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Okay, time for a little tour of my NYC kitchen. Looking into the kitchen, you can see it's a galley...

IMG_0955_1.JPG
You can see the Pez on the 2nd shelf from the top...

IMG_0948_1.JPG

I've got some IKEA cabinetry and assorted shelves...

IMG_0791_1.JPG
Closer up, they look like this...

IMG_0787_1.JPG

IMG_0792_1.JPG
Trust me, I know where everything is in these drawers. Well, almost everything...

IMG_0794_1.JPG

IMG_0795_1.JPG

IMG_0796_1.JPG
Then, there's the tall cabinet...

IMG_0956_1.JPG

IMG_0804_1.JPG
Relax. I only use the Ronzoni for mac and cheese. Of course, there's the fridge...

IMG_0817_1.JPG

IMG_0802_1.JPG

IMG_0798_1.JPG
And the view from that window, which is one of the main reasons we bought this apartment (the other being that we could afford it :wink: )...

IMG_0849_1.JPG
At a slightly warmer time of year...

Kitchen View for eG_1.jpg
There's also the "coffee niche," which I'm saving for another post.

And to hathor - sounds great!

ETA: That response to hathor.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#33 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

I'm glad Pam gave us a week off to recuperate before this blog. Really looking forward to your cooking and some shots of the NY food scene.

Sam, that Pagliacci score would have been a dead giveaway. I note from the original post that it was artfully edited out

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#34 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

This morning, like all mornings, I start my day off with a cup of coffee. If Significant Eater is here, I'm usually up before her, so I brew a single cup. I'm not into any thermos type storage at home; I just brew the coffee when I want/need a cup. Espresso is for later in the day, though sometimes I'll have the Silvia ready to go so I can make my wife a caffè latte or café au lait.

Here's the process...

Bring water to boil...

IMG_0949_1.JPG
While weighing out the beans. Today, Counter Culture's Peruvian, roasted 5 days ago...

IMG_0951_1.JPG
Grind beans in Rocky...

IMG_0952_1.JPG

Pour over method. I'm an old-school Melitta user...

IMG_0953_1.JPG

Total time, start to finish - under 5 minutes.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#35 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Breakfast today was kinda lame (hey, it was a rough Saturday night, and the cleanse is finally over). So, basically a toasted English muffin, topped with cheddar cheese, and an orange. I sent Significant Eater on her way back to DC with one of these...

It's Not Nice to Fool Mother Nature

I'm sure you all...okay, some of you...remember that great ad campaign which ran for almost 10 years back in the '70s. It featured Mother Nature (or an actor portraying her) getting all pissed off when she's fooled by the taste and texture of a certain product.

And I'm sure you all...okay, some of you...remember a blog I wrote a while back about trying to get Significant Eater to eat her oatmeal...well, I didn't have much success then, but that doesn't mean I don't get to keep trying.

In another one of my vain attempts to get SE to eat some healthy cereals, yesterday I tried a new approach with a cereal she really doesn't like. That be this stuff...

IMG_0847_1.JPG
I've stopped making it when we have breakfast together, since it undoubtedly will just sit in the bowl; oh, it gets pushed around enough, but eaten? No way.

So, in my sneaky, underhanded mind I figured there had to be a way. And the aha moment came when I simply read the side of the package and decided to use one of these...

IMG_0848_1.JPG
I mixed up the batter (it's a quick bread, but you knew that) and glopped it into the cups...

IMG_0851_1.JPG
Baked 'em for about 17 minutes and they looked like this...

IMG_0853_1.JPG
And this...

IMG_0854_1.JPG
Not bad looking, huh? And guess what - they didn't taste bad. I mean, how bad could they be? After all, they do have sugar and salt in them, along with a little vanilla.

Interesting then, that the first thing I heard from the other room, as Significant Eater was downing her half, was something along the lines of: "So what are these, health muffins? Stick with the cookies, will ya!?"

It's not nice to fool mother nature, now is it? Or Significant Eater either.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#36 nakji

nakji
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

We'd also like to figure out ways to save money by bringing lunches to our soul-killing day jobs instead of buying, but we're getting tired of sandwiches and they're kind of a pain in the butt to make every morning.

Amen. I gave up on sandwiches a while ago. Now I repurpose whatever was dinner the night before.

I'm a filter-over-cup brewer, too. I've got my time down to about 6 minutes, but mostly because my grinder is the small-cup attachment to a blender. Very jealous of "Rocky".

#37 santo_grace

santo_grace
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

IMG_0851_1.JPG
Baked 'em for about 17 minutes and they looked like this...

IMG_0853_1.JPG
And this...

IMG_0854_1.JPG
Not bad looking, huh? And guess what - they didn't taste bad. I mean, how bad could they be? After all, they do have sugar and salt in them, along with a little vanilla.

Interesting then, that the first thing I heard from the other room, as Significant Eater was downing her half, was something along the lines of: "So what are these, health muffins? Stick with the cookies, will ya!?"

It's not nice to fool mother nature, now is it? Or Significant Eater either.

Some butter would help with making them less healthy and very tasty. I think they look good but butter makes everything better.
I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

#38 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

Some butter would help with making them less healthy and very tasty. I think they look good but butter makes everything better.

Ahh, santo_grace, so right you are. There is 1/3 cup of butter along with 1 egg in the recipe. It helped, but still not enough for Sig Eater :biggrin: .
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#39 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

I am processing a bunch of photos now so stay tuned. There are a few people over watching the game and I have a bunch of snacks that are just going out. Once I finish uploading the photos I will give a photo tour.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#40 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

So, first set of photos. Starting with a bunch of snacks while the wings cook.

First, I am somewhat addicted to thix Pnxtos you can get at Fairway market here in Park Slope. (There is also one up by Sam on the upper west side). I am sure I can roll them myself, but these do save a lot of time. They are damn tasty too.

dinner1.2.jpg

dinner2.jpg

Also a pickled veg plate. This has the pickled mushrooms and pickled spiced artichoke hearts from Fairway, as well as some giardiniere from Doc Pickle at the local farmers market.

dinner1.jpg

What's snacking without some pork? Some sliced meats from Eataly.

dinner3.jpg
dinner4.jpg

For the wings, I am too lazy tonight to break out the fryer, so I am going the oven method. I joint the wings (saving the wing tips for stock) and dust them in rice flour and salt. Put them on a foil lined half-sheet pan sprayed with crisco and bake on convection at 400 until brown. Flipping once or twice.

dinner5.jpg

These are in the oven now. The sauce is your basic buffalo wing sauce. Butter (in lieu of traditional margarine), Franks, a dash of cayenne and my own twist, a handful of these pickled thai chillies.
dinner6.jpg

The wings are still in the oven, but will post a pic when they come out.

While they are cooking, I had a nice cocktail. I blurred out parts of the bottle to protect the innocent. :biggrin:

rum1.jpg

For me, there are two drinks that you need to shake so hard that you feel your arm is going to fall off. A Ramos and a Daiquiri. I love the shards of ice in this drink and it really helps with dilution since this is barrel proof.
dai1.jpg

Edited by johnder, 23 January 2011 - 05:34 PM.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--
I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

#41 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Wow. Manana Club.

I was/am pretty lazy tonight as well. So, I had a Greek salad and a bowl of yellow split pea soup that I had in the freezer...
Greek Raw materials.jpg

Greek Salad.jpg

Split Pea Soup.jpg
And then I made a cocktail that didn't require any of that shaking. Muddling and stirring however. It also reminded me that I need to resupply my absinthe, as I had to go to the tiny emergency bottle...

Sazerac Raw Materials.jpg

Sazerac.jpg
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#42 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:16 PM

John, my in-oven wing-making improved dramatically when I added a rack to the sheet pan. Definitely worth doing it that way.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#43 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:36 PM

Here are the wings. These were baked, then the whole lot dumped into a bowl that contained the butter, franks and pickled red peppers. Including all the fat that rendered out from the wings at the end.

wings1.jpg

wings2.jpg

Steven, I will give the rack a shot next time. I like the way the wings brown and crisp on the when the touch the bottom of the sheet pan. Will be interested to see how they turn out on the rack.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#44 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

If you put them on a rack under a broiler/griller they'll crisp up real nice.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#45 santo_grace

santo_grace
  • participating member
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Ahh, santo_grace, so right you are. There is 1/3 cup of butter along with 1 egg in the recipe. It helped, but still not enough for Sig Eater :biggrin: .

Noooo...I meant butter on the muffin. Slightly warmed in the toaster oven or microwave with butter.
I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

#46 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

This is definitely going to be fun. Looking forward to the cocktail portion of the festivities. I love Hathor's suggestion of the Martinez as the second drink du soir (and completely agree it needs more attention because it's a damned fine cocktail), but the Old Fashioned has so many interpretations I'd be quite curious what the finer establishments are calling their "house" preparation. What about a Manhattan? What base spirit, which vermouth, which bitter/bitters, garnish of choice and proportions? Lots of room for interpretation there as well.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#47 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

I was/am pretty lazy tonight as well. So, I had a Greek salad and a bowl of yellow split pea soup that I had in the freezer...
Greek Raw materials.jpg

You are a lot healhier than me today. Given the Jets performance so far, I think I may need another drink.

I think Sam is plotting something awesome to upstage us all. :biggrin:
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#48 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:05 PM

Noooo...I meant butter on the muffin. Slightly warmed in the toaster oven or microwave with butter.

Ahhh, now I understand. I have 9 of them in the freezer, so that'll be perfect.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#49 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

So one of the things I was going to do this week was to go through and give the spec on some of the recipes that we had on the menu at PDT over the years since opening. Given how stressful this game is, I figured I would start with a nice strong one.

This is from Daniel Eun who worked with us at the start:

harvest2.jpg

Harvest Moon
1 1/2 oz wild turkey rye
1 oz lillet blanc
.5 oz bonded applejac
.25 oz green chartreuse
3 dash abbotts bitter
Stir and Strain
A/P Coupe
Orange twist
Daniel Eun
PDT Winter Menu 2007

harvest.jpg

harvest1.jpg
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#50 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

Hey. I've got that exact same Nick & Nora glass, and it's got an Ott's Special in it right this moment.

What do people use as a sub for Abbott's bitters when, you know, you don't have johnder around to make it for you?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#51 johnder

johnder
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hey. I've got that exact same Nick & Nora glass, and it's got an Ott's Special in it right this moment.

What do people use as a sub for Abbott's bitters when, you know, you don't have johnder around to make it for you?

Well hopefully soon everyone will be able to enjoy them. Will report more on that tomorrow. In the interim, the best sub is some fee's barrel aged bitters. If you really want to get close, that with a drop or two of clove tincture will be perfect.

However, this drink works really well with plain old ango as well.
John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2
--

#52 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Holy cow, this is going to be a fabulous week. All of my favorite things in one blog, New York, good food, shopping excursions and COCKTAILS !!!

Mitch, the PEZ collection is so cool, love the Fozzie Bear dispenser. He was my favorite muppet (after the Swedish Chef). And what an absolutely, dead-on, killer brilliant way to store your pot/pan lids ! That is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen. Wow. That'll solve a ton of problems for me, including closing up the black hole behind my stove where it won't suck up to the wall because of where the gas line comes up from the floor. I am ALWAYS losing stuff behind the damn range, since I have a utensil rack hanging above it. Wow. What a brilliant idea.

Sam, that cocktail paraphernalia collection is stunning. I am seriously envious. Just gorgeous stuff.

John, I too, hope for some gratuitous Chow shots this week, as well as more shots of that gorgeous nature from your upstate house.

I can't wait for the rest of the week. YaaaaHOOOO !
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#53 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:16 AM

OK....I've got a question I've been dying to ask, and since we have 3 of the 5 eGullet Cocktail Eggheads * here in one place, at one time (virtual place/time, of course), maybe I can get the definitive answer.

I am intrigued by the concept of flaming a citrus peel over a drink. I can intellectually see how burning the oils leads to a more complex and maybe pronounced flavor. However, I am scared spitless (and y'all know I cleaned *that* up....) by the thought of introducing live fire over high proof alcohol.

I mean....I like my eyebrows, eyelashes and hair. A lot. Bear in mind I am a total klutz, and have limited coordination. I can trip over a seam in linoleum. How do you accomplish this feat without burning down the house and calling out the paramedics? A replay of the great Chicago Fire I could do without....

Thanks in advance.

(*The other 2 Eggheads being Chris Amirault and EJE, of course, with KatieLoeb as a shout-out....)
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#54 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

Mitch, are you familiar with the Italian term sprezzatura? You could say you have pezzatura.

#55 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

I am intrigued by the concept of flaming a citrus peel over a drink. I can intellectually see how burning the oils leads to a more complex and maybe pronounced flavor. However, I am scared spitless (and y'all know I cleaned *that* up....) by the thought of introducing live fire over high proof alcohol.
(*The other 2 Eggheads being Chris Amirault and EJE, of course, with KatieLoeb as a shout-out....)

Though I am, by a city mile, the least eggheadish of those you mention, I think this guy gives a pretty good demo on the procedure.

I've never done any damage to my house or hair, by the way, and the garnish is perfect on a Cornwall Negroni, a drink I first tasted at the hand of Phil Ward, when he was at Pegu Club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY27Q5bbQ5g
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#56 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

Mitch, are you familiar with the Italian term sprezzatura? You could say you have pezzatura.

That's a great word, Kent. And I know what it means now (bless the Wiki sometimes. So for now, the Pez stays.
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#57 abooja

abooja
  • participating member
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:34 AM

My husband used to collect Pez dispensers. He still has around 300 of them, the most expensive of which cost him $650. :shock:

This is a really fun idea for a blog -- three guy friends in NYC, dishing it out and slamming a few back. Looking forward to the rest. :cool:

#58 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:51 AM

My husband used to collect Pez dispensers. He still has around 300 of them, the most expensive of which cost him $650. :shock:

This is a really fun idea for a blog -- three guy friends in NYC, dishing it out and slamming a few back. Looking forward to the rest. :cool:

Okay, now that dude has a real Pez collection :smile: .
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#59 hathor

hathor
  • participating member
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:19 AM

Weinoo, very interesting on the pot lids. I have severe pot lid issues. Is there a rack behind the stove or do they just stay up by the handles? What about splatter?

#60 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:23 AM

Weinoo, very interesting on the pot lids. I have severe pot lid issues. Is there a rack behind the stove or do they just stay up by the handles? What about splatter?

Hi hathor. Behind the stove is one of the same bars from which hang the hooks holding the whisks, ladles, spoons, etc. The lids fit snugly within.

I think they are about $10 at IKEA (they make a few different lengths) and they may part of the Grundtal line. I may even have an extra one in my closet - and you can have it!

Anyone who thinks that was my idea is nuts. When we moved in, I had a Swedish friend help me make the best use of the space. Everyone needs a Swedish friend for just that purpose :laugh: .
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Foodblog