Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Storing, Tracking, and Accessing Favorite Recipes

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 455 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

I don't think I've ever repeated a recipe more than once. Usually for easy things l don't even follow recipes.

#62 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have two methods: (1) I use pinterest.com for recipes that I want to try (must have a picture), and (2) I use a binder with page protectors for recipes that I print out. That binder is getting pretty thick, thus I have had to weed some recipes out (recipes that I lost interest in). I LOVE IT! Of course, I also have two cookbooks I published that contain my childhood favorite foods from Guam.

#63 &roid

&roid
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Another Evernote user here, absolutely changed my life.

I use it for all sorts of work/home related things but the food part is probably my favourite: pages ripped out of magazines and scanned, web pages clipped, made up recipes recorded for the first time (I used to make great things and promptly forget them before I started using evernote!). I've got a dedicated sous vide note with all my experiments detailed, its a great way of learning when I cook. Everything gets tagged (things like "Recipe Ideas" "Good Recipes") so I can find them easily. I've even started photographing the food I cook now too.

I do a weekly food plan which has links to the note for that recipe and helps me get my shopping sorted, since starting all this I've eaten more new, better food than ever before. Having everything available wherever I am: work, home, out and about, on whatever device I have on me: mac, PC, iphone, iPad is the real killer part of Evernote for me.

#64 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I use it for all sorts of work/home related things but the food part is probably my favourite: pages ripped out of magazines and scanned, web pages clipped, made up recipes recorded for the first time (I used to make great things and promptly forget them before I started using evernote!). I've got a dedicated sous vide note with all my experiments detailed, its a great way of learning when I cook. Everything gets tagged (things like "Recipe Ideas" "Good Recipes") so I can find them easily. I've even started photographing the food I cook now too.

I do a weekly food plan which has links to the note for that recipe and helps me get my shopping sorted, since starting all this I've eaten more new, better food than ever before. Having everything available wherever I am: work, home, out and about, on whatever device I have on me: mac, PC, iphone, iPad is the real killer part of Evernote for me.

Hey, it is interesting to hear how you and others use Evernote. I haven't really given this a go before but I am currently looking for a new way to organize and view 'found recipes'. I might have a look into Evernote tonight when I have some time... Would you (or anyone one for that matter) mind sharing a screenshot of how you organize your recipes using this program?

I used to use MacGourmet but didn't enjoy typing everything out ... then I switched to Windows etc. etc. and generally lost interest.

I'm really interested in finding something that will help me travel with my favorite recipes.

Cheers

#65 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hey, it is interesting to hear how you and others use Evernote. I haven't really given this a go before but I am currently looking for a new way to organize and view 'found recipes'. I might have a look into Evernote tonight when I have some time... Would you (or anyone one for that matter) mind sharing a screenshot of how you organize your recipes using this program?

I used to use MacGourmet but didn't enjoy typing everything out ... then I switched to Windows etc. etc. and generally lost interest.

I'm really interested in finding something that will help me travel with my favorite recipes.

Cheers

I use MacGourmet and find that it's clippings function lets me import just about anything without having to type anything out.

#66 AlenChris

AlenChris
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

I write them in my cooking notebook. Or sometimes bookmark the webpages.

#67 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Would you (or anyone one for that matter) mind sharing a screenshot of how you organize your recipes using this program?

Cheers

The way I use Evernote is pretty straight forward. I created a notebook named recipes and store all recipes in it. Evernote allows tags so I always tag each recipe with multiple tags based on ingredients. Their search function is excellent so I haven't had any issues finding recipes. I am thinking of splitting up my recipes notebook into more detailed notebooks like appetizers, mains, sides, etc but I'm not sure if it's necessary.
The web clipper is great when I come across a recipe I want to keep since it allows me to immediately put in into the correct notebook and tag it.
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#68 DiscoJeff

DiscoJeff
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I use Evernote for interesting looking recipes I may want to try out, and the winners end up in MacGourmet. It is nice to have both synched with my phone so I can look up ingredients when shopping.

Evernote also indexes text in photos, so if you take a picture of a recipe, you should be able search for names, ingredients, etc.

Jeff

#69 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Has anyone used the Cook'n recipe organizer software?