Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Storing, Tracking, and Accessing Favorite Recipes

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 Baselerd

Baselerd
  • participating member
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

I don't think I've ever repeated a recipe more than once. Usually for easy things l don't even follow recipes.

#62 pquinene

pquinene
  • society donor
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have two methods: (1) I use pinterest.com for recipes that I want to try (must have a picture), and (2) I use a binder with page protectors for recipes that I print out. That binder is getting pretty thick, thus I have had to weed some recipes out (recipes that I lost interest in). I LOVE IT! Of course, I also have two cookbooks I published that contain my childhood favorite foods from Guam.

#63 &roid

&roid
  • participating member
  • 166 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Another Evernote user here, absolutely changed my life.

I use it for all sorts of work/home related things but the food part is probably my favourite: pages ripped out of magazines and scanned, web pages clipped, made up recipes recorded for the first time (I used to make great things and promptly forget them before I started using evernote!). I've got a dedicated sous vide note with all my experiments detailed, its a great way of learning when I cook. Everything gets tagged (things like "Recipe Ideas" "Good Recipes") so I can find them easily. I've even started photographing the food I cook now too.

I do a weekly food plan which has links to the note for that recipe and helps me get my shopping sorted, since starting all this I've eaten more new, better food than ever before. Having everything available wherever I am: work, home, out and about, on whatever device I have on me: mac, PC, iphone, iPad is the real killer part of Evernote for me.

#64 Merkinz

Merkinz
  • participating member
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I use it for all sorts of work/home related things but the food part is probably my favourite: pages ripped out of magazines and scanned, web pages clipped, made up recipes recorded for the first time (I used to make great things and promptly forget them before I started using evernote!). I've got a dedicated sous vide note with all my experiments detailed, its a great way of learning when I cook. Everything gets tagged (things like "Recipe Ideas" "Good Recipes") so I can find them easily. I've even started photographing the food I cook now too.

I do a weekly food plan which has links to the note for that recipe and helps me get my shopping sorted, since starting all this I've eaten more new, better food than ever before. Having everything available wherever I am: work, home, out and about, on whatever device I have on me: mac, PC, iphone, iPad is the real killer part of Evernote for me.

Hey, it is interesting to hear how you and others use Evernote. I haven't really given this a go before but I am currently looking for a new way to organize and view 'found recipes'. I might have a look into Evernote tonight when I have some time... Would you (or anyone one for that matter) mind sharing a screenshot of how you organize your recipes using this program?

I used to use MacGourmet but didn't enjoy typing everything out ... then I switched to Windows etc. etc. and generally lost interest.

I'm really interested in finding something that will help me travel with my favorite recipes.

Cheers

#65 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hey, it is interesting to hear how you and others use Evernote. I haven't really given this a go before but I am currently looking for a new way to organize and view 'found recipes'. I might have a look into Evernote tonight when I have some time... Would you (or anyone one for that matter) mind sharing a screenshot of how you organize your recipes using this program?

I used to use MacGourmet but didn't enjoy typing everything out ... then I switched to Windows etc. etc. and generally lost interest.

I'm really interested in finding something that will help me travel with my favorite recipes.

Cheers

I use MacGourmet and find that it's clippings function lets me import just about anything without having to type anything out.

#66 AlenChris

AlenChris
  • participating member
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

I write them in my cooking notebook. Or sometimes bookmark the webpages.

#67 AnneN

AnneN
  • society donor
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

Would you (or anyone one for that matter) mind sharing a screenshot of how you organize your recipes using this program?

Cheers

The way I use Evernote is pretty straight forward. I created a notebook named recipes and store all recipes in it. Evernote allows tags so I always tag each recipe with multiple tags based on ingredients. Their search function is excellent so I haven't had any issues finding recipes. I am thinking of splitting up my recipes notebook into more detailed notebooks like appetizers, mains, sides, etc but I'm not sure if it's necessary.
The web clipper is great when I come across a recipe I want to keep since it allows me to immediately put in into the correct notebook and tag it.
Anne Napolitano
Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

#68 DiscoJeff

DiscoJeff
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I use Evernote for interesting looking recipes I may want to try out, and the winners end up in MacGourmet. It is nice to have both synched with my phone so I can look up ingredients when shopping.

Evernote also indexes text in photos, so if you take a picture of a recipe, you should be able search for names, ingredients, etc.

Jeff

#69 toolprincess

toolprincess
  • participating member
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Has anyone used the Cook'n recipe organizer software?

#70 jdmark

jdmark
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

There are quite a few software solutions, one of which being MasterCook v14.  What I need is a Microsoft Windows and Android combination that has an easily exportable recipe option, preferably with an Open Format which allows other applications to import my recipes in case I decide to change software or the software itself is no longer supported and under development.  I do not want my recipes locked into a proprietary file format, that seems to be the trend with software development companies these days.  I also need to be able to edit and add my recipes using a keyboard and mouse otherwise inputting them with my phone is going to take weeks.  

There also cannot be a monthly fee.  The solutions I have looked at not only lock your recipes into a proprietary file format but they also charge you a monthly fee, that seems pretty arrogant.  I wouldn't put it passed them to state in their EULA that they retain the rights to my recipes as well.

Any input or suggestions would be great.  I can use a cloud syncing service to sync the actual files to my Android phone if need be.  Thank you.

#71 feedmec00kies

feedmec00kies
  • participating member
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:07 PM

Honestly, jdmark, after looking into options a while back I stuck to storing recipes as documents in Google Drive and organizing them into folders. If I'm preparing to use a bunch of them for something (like we're having people over) I copy the relevant documents into a folder for that meal/party/whatever. At some point I'd like to add details to files like when something is suitable for a particular special diet (we have a friend who has Celiac and others who are vegetarian) and maybe some other information, though right now I just put acronyms in the file names. But it's easy to edit on my computer and I can access everything on my phone, so it's what I've stuck with.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."
- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

#72 Lindacakes

Lindacakes
  • participating member
  • 897 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

Can an Evernote user tell us if the recipes and other data are exportable?

I once spent two full weekends pulling data out of a Palm Pilot and I'm not doing that again.  I keep all my recipes in Word.  Everything I take from the web I put in a Word document.  I don't keep any recipes in files anymore, I can't space the file cabinet space.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

#73 Volition

Volition
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:42 AM

Evernote Mac and PC clients have options to export. Whole lot, notebook or single entry.

Export format is PDF or HTML.

#74 Shel_B

Shel_B
  • participating member
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

I put all my recipes into Word files, and they are searchable on my computer by title or even words within the file.  I have more than 10,000 files (collecting recipes since 1967) and have always found what I needed.  The drawback is that they are not searchable if I'm away from my computer, but I've solved that by having duplicate copies of the files on flash drives and SD cards, which can be used on any computer.  Since I rarely need the recipes when not at home, and when I do it's only at one of two other places, this works very well for me.

.... Shel

#75 cyalexa

cyalexa
  • participating member
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:33 PM

I also use Word files, created by cutting and pasting. I format them to increase the font for easy reading. In addition to being on my hard drive and on a flash drive I email myself any recipes that are keepers so I can access them from any device that allows access to hotmail and attachments. 

#76 Tammi Townsley

Tammi Townsley
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I have a mix but I haven't cracked open an actual cookbook in years. Many of the recipes can be found online now, so I use a Chrome web clipper tool which clips ANYTHING into Evernote. I have a note book for all of my recipes. I like that you can tag each recipe as you see fit and it keeps the URL address of the page in case you want to go back later.

You can definitely import Word and PDF files into Evernote. The only caution is, if you import it as a PDF, your device has to be connected to the internet to "open" the file. I've started avoiding PDFs for that reason. If you have a number of PDFs, I would suggest copying that file into another format before uploading into Evernote.

All of this can be done using the free feature of Evernote. It does have a limitation on the number of files you can upload for free, but I've found it to fairly generous. You can always purchase one month of unlimited uploads if you need to upload more than normal.