Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Food Saver/Vacuum Sealer Topic, 2011 to Present

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#61 PedroG

PedroG
  • participating member
  • 490 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

Not all Foodsavers seem to have the seal only function - most do though.

The external hose let's you use canisters.

The external hose is also of great help in sealing liquids, see upthread.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro
eG Ethics Signatory

#62 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone had any experience with vacuum sealer guns, the Waring Pro Pistol Vac in particular? It looks like a much better alternative than the food saver not to mention that the bags are reusable 

#63 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Well I went ahead a purchased the Waring Pistol Vac and it works pretty well. The biggest problem I have with it is that it works by sucking air through a small outlet on the upper right hand side of the bag. Because of this, you can't vacuum pack anything with too much liquid in it..if the liquid reaches the outlet, your gun sucks it up and it will cause performance issues and possibly damage. It makes me wonder why they didn't have some mechanism to reroute excess liquid or moisture. 

Time will tell how it works in the long run...I'm using this mainly for storage freezing so what I'm looking for is how well the gun's suction power lasts, how well the vacuum seal in the bags last, how well the bags protect against freezer burn and odors, and how many reuses I can get out of the bags before they stop working.

#64 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ugh trash product. Not the vacuum gun itself (which does have a design flaw, where if liquid gets inside the plastic housing and into your unit, it royally screws with the suction), but the actual bags themselves.  Brittle, very easy to puncture, starts getting air inside the bag after a couple weeks. 

#65 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

For those interested, I was at Walmart (in Canada) yesterday looking to replace my broken Foodsaver (it was pretty old) and ran into a new line of vacuum sealers by ziplock. They looked similar to Foodsaver with one of the models that stood upright with the bag roll sitting inside the machine (it also came with a container that you can attach with the hose). They were roughly half the price of the Foodsavers, so saying this, I went home to look this up online and couldn't find any info on those machines, not even on the ziploc site. So.. new machines, not officially released yet? Not sure.. 

#66 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,941 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Here is a link with reviews.  Sounds like it isn't holding up well.  

#67 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

Here is a link with reviews.  Sounds like it isn't holding up well.  

That's the thing, they don't look like this at all, they look very much like the FoodSavers V3432 (http://www.foodsaver...E4FEORG&start=2)

Even comes with a hose attachment and a rectangle canister for storing/marinating.

I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

#68 Tammi Townsley

Tammi Townsley
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'm on my third Food Saver in 15 years. I've found they tend to last for about 8 years before the seal function breaks down. My only reason for purchasing this new one is for the pulse vac function.

#69 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Was buying replacement lid for VP112 vacuum sealer (sadly it broke after about 4 years of light use) and found a sale on Vacmaster website.  They have a bunch of deals going on but one that worked for me was 20 dollars off 100 (codes are on their home page).  I got the lid and vacuum pouches.  Just to give you an idea, 1000 8X10 inch 3 mil pouches are 45.99 before discount.

http://myvacmaster.c...vacmaster_index

#70 Caruso

Caruso
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

Does anyone here have experience with this particular Weston Model? It's the 65-0501-W (amazon link).  For the longest time I'd been eyeing the Weston $400 model that seems to have a reputation for being rock solid and bemoaning the fact that there's not much to be found in between that price point and the junkier Food Saver models.  Could this $170 Weston be what I'm looking for?  And are there other viable sealers for $150-$200 that offer a significant upgrade in reliability over the Food Saver line?

#71 DiggingDogFarm

DiggingDogFarm
  • participating member
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

If I were going to buy one, I'd seriously consider the ARY VacMaster PRO305.

~Martin

Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, nonconformist and contrarian who questions everything!

#72 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

I'm about to take delivery of 1/16th of a steer, and also my Anova is on its way (sooner or later), so I want to get a vacuum sealer. I've heard the new Foodsavers are pretty mediocre, especially with any liquid involved, but the older Italian-made ones are rock-solid. Can anyone else comment upon this? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a chamber sealer or anything over $150, really.

#73 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:22 AM

Ive forgotten Hassouni, have you done SV before ?

more important than the sealer is the thickness of the bags : thinner ones will not last more than a month in a freezer as they get tinny holes 

in them from ice, which on reflection must form as the vacuum is poor etc

if you indeed end up finding a place for SV on your plate and in your freezer you will move up to the Weston or the 

ARY VacMaster PRO305.  mentioned above.  after about 2 - 3 years depending on how careful you are with moisture 

that will damage the pump. you will then maybe move to the VP215

but Im sure you will get something in the middle of this rage and be happy.

#74 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

I've never SVed before, though the vacuum sealing wouldn't be just for that, but also the year's worth of beef I'm acquiring. Good to know about thicker bags, though.

#75 Caruso

Caruso
  • participating member
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

FYI the Vacmaster Pro305 has been discontinued. Their website says they'll be releasing a replacement model soon.

#76 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

"""    year's worth of beef  """

money right there.  a long time ago, several years +   Test Kitchen did a review of ways to freeze stuff.

this was pre SV for me but I had the Bug , a small one at that time

the only item they reviewd that stood the test of time in the freezer was the Weston item w their 3 or 3.5 MIL bags

it was not cheap  450 or so.  but after a lot of hemming and hawwing I did get this

I still have stuff in my freezer that has no burn Nada from about this time.

maybe you know some one w 3.5 to 4MI; bags that can help you out ?

#77 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

BTW

what's a 1/16 of a cow ?  its easy to see a 1/4 front or back

what are you actually getting and how do they deliver it ?  

in traditional butcher paper ?  frozen  ?

what does the 1/16 cost ?  ( just curious   :huh: )

in this day and age it might not be hard to find a way to get those "sub-primals" Vac'd

as a cost over your year to be good value as there will not be any loss.

Edited by rotuts, 29 October 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#78 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:17 PM

BTW

what's a 1/16 of a cow ?  its easy to see a 1/4 front or back

what are you actually getting and how do they deliver it ?  

in traditional butcher paper ?  frozen  ?

what does the 1/16 cost ?  ( just curious   :huh: )

in this day and age it might not be hard to find a way to get those "sub-primals" Vac'd

as a cost over your year to be good value as there will not be any loss.

1/16 of a cow is nearly 48lbs of beef. It's a sort of cow-share thing, where other people are also getting the same amount (some crazy people are even getting 1/8th!). It's delivered frozen and butchered into various cuts - I don't know what I'll be getting but according to the people that went in for it last year, it's a pretty fair and even distribution of cuts. But it's NOT in primal form.

Total for parts and labor, as it were, comes to just a hair over $3/lb for organic, grass-fed beef.

• Smithy and gfweb like this

#79 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:37 PM

OK

48 X 3 / lbs = 144 bucks

get some help  maybe take the paks to a restaurant you know and ask for their help

got a good  freezer ?

you do this your self, organic or not, w what you might get and try :

over that year you will loose at least 1/3 d to " inexperience "  also know some places as

"" cheap  "" and less than bright  ( ie stupid  ) 

do this  properly and you are on your way.

Edited by rotuts, 29 October 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#80 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:11 PM

I do have a decent freezer. I want to vacuum seal so I don't lose 1/3! Surely a trip to a resto isn't required?

(Plus, the Anova thing)

#81 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:51 PM

I've been using the original Italian food saver for the last 6 months. Bought it on ebay for 75 bucks, though I'm sure you can get it cheaper. What's expensive are the bags. I buy vacustrip bags because they tend to be a little more sturdy.

I've never had any other vacuum sealing instrument before so I have nothing to compare it to, but it works decently, although there is a learning curve.  It's by no means professional or restaurant quality. You also need to make sure all the parts on it like the gaskets and seals are replaced. I tried sealing everything in the freezer with a Waring Pro vacuum gun but the bags often lost their seal in the freezer and they often got punctured in the process of vacuuming. 

Overall though, it was money well spent. I had to trash over half my freezer stock due to freezer burn and nasty off flavors.  Everything is now safely vacuum sealed and no reports of weird flavors or freezer burn yet

Btw don't want to derail too much but what program are you doing cow-shares under?

Edited by takadi, 29 October 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#82 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:23 PM

I honestly don't know, a friend and his girlfriend told me about it, a friend of theirs knows a farmer, or something on those lines.

As for the Italian foodsavers, the ones on eBay now are pricy! Also, is there a problem with current production Foodsaver-branded bags?

Edited by Hassouni, 29 October 2014 - 07:23 PM.

#83 daveb

daveb
  • participating member
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

I use a vacuum sealer several times a week. 

At my hobby/job doing catering prep I seal product for SV, usually in the company Sous Vide branded strip sealer - a CHEAP machine thats probably made by Food Saver.  It works, though it huffs and puffs and occasionally fails.  Everytime I use it I wonder if it will be the last time.  But I've sealed hundreds of products over the last few years.  To ensure product stays sealed in the bath I always double seal.  Product must be dry, no marinades but seasoning rub is ok.  This machine would be adequate for home freezing, though not my first choice.

When I know I'll have a lot of sealing to do I bring in my home strip sealer,  a Cabella's branded unit that (I think) is made by Weston.  Faster, can do some liquid, more reliable seal.  I bought this when I was doing primarily home freezing with a little bit of SV.  Still use it with some freezing, trips to deer camp or when I want to take a sealer on the road.  It's very adequate, a little north of $200 on sale.  I would suggest this to anyone wanting a very good sealer, albeit with the limitations of a strip sealer.

When I started to play with more SV, do infusions, etc. I bought a Vacmaster VP112.   This is the mother for me and (I hope) my last stop in sealerville.  It's the heaviest 50 lbs I've ever picked up and is not mobile. 

This morning's pork tenders:

2014-10-29%2019.15.50.jpg

FS sealer:

2014-10-29%2019.39.48.jpg

Beef tenders:  (Knew I was doing a couple cases of them)

2014-02-13%2016.28.34.jpg

At the end of the day the FS can be had for under a $100, adequate for freezing, can do SV though limited to dry herbs and butter for seasoning.  A good strip sealer can do well with freezing, adequate for basic SV with minimal amounts of liquid added.  The chamber can do both well but is pricey.  The cheapest 112 I found was $600 and change.

The cheapest pre-cut bags I've found are at vacuum sealers unlimited.  They also have the sealer units. 

#84 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:12 PM

Get a chamber vacuum sealer.  As long as it works you will be very happy indeed.  And when it doesn't you will sorely miss it.

#85 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

WAY too expensive and bulky.

• takadi likes this

#86 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

If you get a Food Saver, buy two because the one will give out when you need it most. Only thing in favor of FS is small size and sometimes price.

Unfortunately mass-market appliances have their price driven down to the absolute lowest because of demands from the Wal*Marts and Targets. Only way to get   there is to make a cheap POS.

#87 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

What's the most reasonably priced non "cheap POS"?

#88 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:37 AM

BB&B

http://www.bedbathan...isRedirect=true

129  --  149   take your coupon for additional 20 %

They ship free > 49.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&node=694692

http://www.amazon.co..._i=694692#V3240

#89 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:09 AM

BB&B

http://www.bedbathan...isRedirect=true

129  --  149   take your coupon for additional 20 %

They ship free > 49.

Amazon

http://www.amazon.co...TF8&node=694692

http://www.amazon.co..._i=694692#V3240

I thought these were in fact the cheap POSes that gfweb was referring to?

• gfweb likes this

#90 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:18 AM

ah, non-cheap you want.

I think the next step up would be the Weston/

http://www.harvestes...CFVNk7AodUnUAhw

which is what i have.   lasted 3 years w serious use, then the pump had to be repalced  :  about 150 $$

Cabelas I know nothing about

http://www.cabelas.c...sealers&x=0&y=0

329 449 or so

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist