Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Food Saver/Vacuum Sealer Topic, 2011 to Present

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 PedroG

PedroG
  • participating member
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

Not all Foodsavers seem to have the seal only function - most do though.

The external hose let's you use canisters.

The external hose is also of great help in sealing liquids, see upthread.

Peter F. Gruber aka Pedro
eG Ethics Signatory

#62 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:52 PM

Has anyone had any experience with vacuum sealer guns, the Waring Pro Pistol Vac in particular? It looks like a much better alternative than the food saver not to mention that the bags are reusable 

#63 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

Well I went ahead a purchased the Waring Pistol Vac and it works pretty well. The biggest problem I have with it is that it works by sucking air through a small outlet on the upper right hand side of the bag. Because of this, you can't vacuum pack anything with too much liquid in it..if the liquid reaches the outlet, your gun sucks it up and it will cause performance issues and possibly damage. It makes me wonder why they didn't have some mechanism to reroute excess liquid or moisture. 

Time will tell how it works in the long run...I'm using this mainly for storage freezing so what I'm looking for is how well the gun's suction power lasts, how well the vacuum seal in the bags last, how well the bags protect against freezer burn and odors, and how many reuses I can get out of the bags before they stop working.

#64 takadi

takadi
  • participating member
  • 346 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Ugh trash product. Not the vacuum gun itself (which does have a design flaw, where if liquid gets inside the plastic housing and into your unit, it royally screws with the suction), but the actual bags themselves.  Brittle, very easy to puncture, starts getting air inside the bag after a couple weeks. 

#65 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

For those interested, I was at Walmart (in Canada) yesterday looking to replace my broken Foodsaver (it was pretty old) and ran into a new line of vacuum sealers by ziplock. They looked similar to Foodsaver with one of the models that stood upright with the bag roll sitting inside the machine (it also came with a container that you can attach with the hose). They were roughly half the price of the Foodsavers, so saying this, I went home to look this up online and couldn't find any info on those machines, not even on the ziploc site. So.. new machines, not officially released yet? Not sure.. 

#66 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,238 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:27 PM

Here is a link with reviews.  Sounds like it isn't holding up well.  

#67 Tjex

Tjex
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:42 AM

Here is a link with reviews.  Sounds like it isn't holding up well.  

That's the thing, they don't look like this at all, they look very much like the FoodSavers V3432 (http://www.foodsaver...E4FEORG&start=2)

Even comes with a hose attachment and a rectangle canister for storing/marinating.

I'll have to take some pictures and post them.

#68 Tammi Townsley

Tammi Townsley
  • participating member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:50 AM

I'm on my third Food Saver in 15 years. I've found they tend to last for about 8 years before the seal function breaks down. My only reason for purchasing this new one is for the pulse vac function.

#69 chefmd

chefmd
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Was buying replacement lid for VP112 vacuum sealer (sadly it broke after about 4 years of light use) and found a sale on Vacmaster website.  They have a bunch of deals going on but one that worked for me was 20 dollars off 100 (codes are on their home page).  I got the lid and vacuum pouches.  Just to give you an idea, 1000 8X10 inch 3 mil pouches are 45.99 before discount.

http://myvacmaster.c...vacmaster_index

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist