Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Caramel Popcorn

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#91 sheetz

sheetz
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

I understand that in order to prevent crystalization you need to use two different types of sugars. Table sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and golden syrup are all just forms of sucrose, so any combination of those may crystalize. You need to add something like corn syrup (glucose) to prevent crystalization. I've used honey successfully, as well.

Edited by sheetz, 20 December 2008 - 08:51 PM.

#92 maxmillan

maxmillan
  • participating member
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

Thanks to Jaymes for his recipe. It's a very forgiving recipe.

I put in too much popcorn in my first batch but it was still very good. I especially prefer it this way as it's less sweet.

My second batch took 1/3 cup unpopped popcorn, lots of dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts, almonds and cashews and the syrup was just right.

I filled it in plastic bags and into glass storage jars as gifts. So much better and surprisingly unexpected than cookies.

I find it tastes better than the Rocky Mountain caramel corn. I think they cheaped out on the caramel because even my first batch tastes better.

Can't wait to try it with rum and other flavorings.

BTW, what's the purpose of using baking soda?

Edited by maxmillan, 22 December 2008 - 12:23 AM.

#93 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

I understand that in order to prevent crystalization you need to use two different types of sugars. Table sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, and golden syrup are all just forms of sucrose, so any combination of those may crystalize. You need to add something like corn syrup (glucose) to prevent crystalization. I've used honey successfully, as well.

View Post

Thanks, that was a great help!!

#94 Aza

Aza
  • participating member
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

Another HUGE thumbs up for the recipe from Jaymes. My mom and I (I'm still barely limping around) made a triple batch last night.

WOW.

We did up the amount of caramel syrup based on the posts suggesting more is better- and my stepfather's comment that 'there's never enough caramel or nuts in caramel corn!'. I can't wait to start experimenting with the variations.

I can only hope there's still some left to give away! :blush:

#95 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,884 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

BTW, what's the purpose of using baking soda?

View Post

Baking soda both neutralizes the acid in the brown sugar and molasses, and also makes for a lighter texture.

#96 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

Just popping in (ha ha) to note that I made my seventh double batch last night. My word, I cannot keep this stuff in the house! Everyone that I give it to calls back demanding more! I cannot thank Jaymes enough for this recipe. Caramel corn is definitely going to become an annual tradition at our house. :wub:

#97 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 329 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

I gave bags of Jaymes carmel corn to my co-workers on Friday. One of my compadres is Vietnamese and a health nut. She is constantly on my case because I don't get enough exercise, eat right, etc. As she was leaving the office Friday afternoon, she popped her head into my office and said, "Pam, I don't understand why you made my bag so SMALL!" She held up the remains of a mostly-eaten bag of carmel corn. HIT!!! It made my day!

#98 maurdel

maurdel
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

I place about 300g of sugar and just a bit of water in a heavy saucepan (that has a cover with it) and cook it to soft ball, I then toss in about 1/3 cup unpopped popcorn kernels and stir them around.  They will suddenly start blossoming just at the caramel stage.  At this point for your own self protection you will want to put the top on and start madly shaking the pan around.  When it stops making popping noises you open up, stir the corn around a minute or two to deepen the caramel color and pour our onto a sheet pan.

View Post

I just tried my own version of this method - thinking it might work, but I had no recipe.... just an idea that it might......... anyhow, I made a caramel with some butter ...... most of my kernels did not pop. Some did and then it started to burn and the corn seemed to drown a bit in it. Perhaps the addition of butter changes things.

It was just an experiment, trying to save a step. I believe I'm going back to the separate caramel poured over popped corn.

chefette, did you then bake the coated corn?

#99 Emily_R

Emily_R
  • participating member
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Also, for anyone else who (like me) was considering making Jaymes' caramel corn but wasn't sure how much popcorn to pop, it looks like it takes about 6 ounces of popcorn to make 6 quarts...

Edited by Emily_R, 06 December 2011 - 11:37 PM.

#100 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Add me to the long list of fans of Jaymes's caramel corn recipe. I made my first batch yesterday afternoon so I would have something sweet to bring to evening holiday parties. It's a very easy and forgiving recipe. I split the recipe in half--one plain, to the second I added a tsp of chili powder and some pecan halves. Delicious and addictive, both of them.

For the 2 T molasses specified, I used 1 T molasses, 1 T maple syrup. Along with others who posted on this question earlier, I was worried that the molasses flavor might dominate. But now that I've tasted the results, I think the molasses helps balance the sweetness and I'll try it with all molasses next time. This is a keeper!

#101 Dianabanana

Dianabanana
  • participating member
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

I've been making this every year for the last . . . five years? I always make the popcorn in a pot on the stove the old-fashioned way. This year I thought perhaps the rest of the world knew something I don't, so I went out and bought an air popper.

The popcorn that came out of it was inedibly tough and chewy. I had just used some of the same container of popcorn in a pot and it came out fine. Is this just how air poppers are?

#102 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:06 AM

I've been making this every year for the last . . . five years? I always make the popcorn in a pot on the stove the old-fashioned way. This year I thought perhaps the rest of the world knew something I don't, so I went out and bought an air popper.

The popcorn that came out of it was inedibly tough and chewy. I had just used some of the same container of popcorn in a pot and it came out fine. Is this just how air poppers are?

Hard for me to believe it was nine years ago that I originally posted it. Wow. Time is just zooming by.

As far as your inedible popcorn - I can only tell you that we've been using a hot air popper for quite some time. I helped to take care of my mother during the last two years it took for Alzheimer's to finally destroy her. She loved popcorn, but she wasn't supposed to have grease, so instead of popping the corn in oil and then drizzling it with butter, we used a hot air popper and then sprinkled it with "butter flavor beads."

We never had any problems with the texture of the corn from that popper. So maybe your corn was old? Don't know what the problem was but I'd hazard a guess that hot air poppers are now far more popular than the old-fashioned methods. That wouldn't be the case if the corn turned out bad. My advice to you is that you must have had a unique experience and, although I can't tell you why, you shouldn't give up just yet.

Edited by Jaymes, 19 December 2011 - 09:38 AM.

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#103 Dianabanana

Dianabanana
  • participating member
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hmm. I bought a new bag of popcorn and will try again and report back. I will say that the caramel popcorn that I made with the first batch (the stove-popped) got chewy really quickly, even though it was fine to begin with. So maybe it was the corn.

Part of my motivation for buying the popper was the idea that I could crank out more popcorn all at once, rather than having to make successive batches on the stove. But once I got it home I discovered that you're supposed to let it cool for 15 minutes in between batches. Well, I made four in a row anyway and it didn't burst into flame, but I wonder if I'm going to kill it in the short run by doing that.

Edited by Dianabanana, 19 December 2011 - 10:35 AM.

#104 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 284 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Just tried this interesting candied popcorn, with extra spice and it's terrific. The key is to chop the peanuts very finely so they bind onto the popcorn. Yum
http://foodwishes.bl...seconds-of.html

#105 maxmillan

maxmillan
  • participating member
  • 636 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Bumpity bump! Jaymes' recipe on page 1 is so worthy of remaking every Christmas.