Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Caramel Popcorn

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:54 PM

This recipe, given to me by a Japanese Canadian friend, isn't made with popcorn, but small round Tostitos and if you want to be popular, try making this one and giving it to friends:

Tostitos Kakimochi

20 oz small round Tostitos
1/4 pound unsalted butter (I use salted)
1/2 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2-3 tablespoons black sesame seeds

Melt the butter on low heat. Add sugar, syrup, soy sauce and sesame seeds and mix until the sugar is melted

Place ½ the Tostitos in large bowl, add ½ the syrup mixture and slowly mix thoroughly, trying not to break chips. Put into a large greased pan. Repeat with the remaining Tostitos and mix well.

Bake in 250 degree oven for 1 hour. Mix every 15 minutes (do this or your snacks will stick into one big clump.)

Turn out the chips onto a large surface and try to separate as many as you can during that short period between burning your fingers and the time the chips are too cool to separate. As soon as they no longer stick to each other, store them in an air-tight container...if they last long enough for storing them at all.

Add shredded nori (seaweed) or rice seasoning for different flavors

Yummmmmm :wub: :wub: :wub:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#62 devlin

devlin
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

Jaymes, does it package and mail well? I'm intrigued.

#63 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:23 PM

It packages great. You can use plastic or cellophane bags, or tins. For shipping, I'd definitely use tins -- I line them with plastic wrap, or put the caramel corn into bags and then into tins.

#64 devlin

devlin
  • participating member
  • 648 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

It packages great. You can use plastic or cellophane bags, or tins. For shipping, I'd definitely use tins -- I line them with plastic wrap, or put the caramel corn into bags and then into tins.

View Post

Wunderbar. Thanks! Sounds like a great treat. Gonna try this soon.

#65 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

Jaymes, does it package and mail well? I'm intrigued.

View Post

As JAZ says, it packages and ships like a dream. An added advantage is that it doesn't weigh much, so it's economical to mail.
"And you, you're just a stinker."

#66 sheetz

sheetz
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

I never used to make this with nuts, but recently I've tried it that way. It seems that no matter what I do, the nuts seem to sink to the bottom of the roasting pan. I'd like for them to become one with the popcorn. Any tricks to help that?

View Post

I've been wondering about that, too. I wonder if it would help to add the nuts towards the end, when the caramel is more sticky. During the first 30 minutes the caramel is still too syrupy so when you stir the popcorn the nuts sink to the bottom.

#67 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

After watching Kerry Beal make Jaymes' caramel corn up in Manitoulin, I decided I was brave enough to give it a try. I have never even popped corn before as I don't like it! But all went well and I took the finished caramel corn to a Hallowe'en gathering at my daughter's and it magically disappeared in nano seconds! Great recipe and so easy once you get into it. Thank you. :wub:

P.S. I didn't add the nuts this time but might next.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#68 sheetz

sheetz
  • participating member
  • 824 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

After playing with Jaymes' recipe a few times I came up with a method for those who prefer a clumpier style of caramel popcorn. By following this method the nuts will adhere to the popcorn rather than just sink to the bottom.

Note: I halved Jaymes' recipe to make it easier to handle.

After only a couple of trials it became clear that if I wanted the popcorn and nuts to cling together I had to reduce the amount of stirring called for in the recipe, especially at the end of the baking when the stirring would act to separate the popcorn and nuts from one another. In order to accomplish that I did a few things: The first was to place the uncoated popcorn in a pot or metal bowl in the preheating oven in order to to keep it warm. This makes it so much easier to evenly distribute the caramel into the popcorn later on and reduce the amount of stirring necessary.

Next, I only stirred the popcorn 3 times in the first 24 minutes at 8 minute intervals. After that I pushed all the popcorn into one large mass and let it bake undisturbed for another 25-30 min.

After it was done baking, I dumped the popcorn in a big pile on top of wax paper and allowed it to cool. From there all that was left was to separate the popcorn into whatever sized clusters I desired.

I hope somebody else tries out this method and lets me know what they think.

Edited by sheetz, 01 November 2008 - 08:00 PM.

#69 ejw50

ejw50
  • participating member
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:15 PM

thanks to all for this thread. My wife loves caramel popcorn, I'm gonna have to try these recipes out.

#70 maxmillan

maxmillan
  • participating member
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Before adding nuts and seeds, should I roast them first?

I plan to make them and give them as gifts packaged in Chinese food take out boxes with a ribbon glued around it. I guess I would have to place them in air tight plastic first?

Edited by maxmillan, 09 November 2008 - 06:20 PM.

#71 In2Pastry

In2Pastry
  • participating member
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

What brand of corn do you all use? I am trying to achieve those big puffy popped kernals, but so far every brand I have used has produced the small basic popped corn. Thanks for any ideas.

#72 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:16 PM

What brand of corn do you all use? I am trying to achieve those big puffy popped kernals, but so far every brand I have used has produced the small basic popped corn. Thanks for any ideas.

View Post

Try this: Extra-Large "Caramel" Kernels

#73 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:32 PM

View Post

v.gautam made a very informative post on different types of popping corn in the "popping corn" topic. It will help you find the type of popping corn you're looking for.

#74 In2Pastry

In2Pastry
  • participating member
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

baroness & prasantrin: Thank you so much I will check those both out. I appreciate the response.

#75 HeatherM

HeatherM
  • participating member
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

I tried making Jaymes' recipe last night with great success! YUM!

I don't have a bowl big enough to fit all of the popcorn in (with room to mix), so I split it between two bowls. My bowls are too big to both fit in the oven at the same time, so I had to bake one bowl first, and then the other, but there didn't seem to be too much of a problem with that.

I also added 1-1/2t of chili powder to 1/2 of the batch, just sprinkled over the corn & syrup before baking. It was good, but I think I might add a bit more, or add a bit of cayenne to add a bit more heat to it. I also think I'll probably add it to the caramel mix before I pour it over the corn to try to get more even distribution.

I think that I am going to be a popular girl at work tomorrow, and I think I'll be making more of this very soon.

Jaymes - thanks for sharing this recipe!

#76 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

I just made a half batch( 1 bag of microwave popcorn).

I used pecans and peanuts. Yummy!!

#77 bmwrtmike

bmwrtmike
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

I have been making Jaymes' recipe for about a month now. The first two times I doubled the recipe, then a few single batches after. It has turned out great every time. Everyone at my work loves it too. Today I picked up a 6" deep steam table tray to make this recipe in. I should be able to do a triple recipe in there with plenty of room for stirring :wub: Thanks for the recipe.

Mike

#78 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

I have been making Jaymes' recipe for about a month now. The first two times I doubled the recipe, then a few single batches after. It has turned out great every time. Everyone at my work loves it too. Today I picked up a 6" deep steam table tray to make this recipe in. I should be able to do a triple recipe in there with plenty of room for stirring :wub:  Thanks for the recipe.

Mike

View Post

Wow. A triple recipe. That's a lot o' corn! The steam table tray is a great idea. Think I might look for one myself.

And thanks to you, and to everyone else that took the time to let me know you're enjoying the recipe. Got a big ol' smile on my face.

:rolleyes:

Oh, and PS Mike: I note that's your first post. Welcome!

Edited by Jaymes, 09 December 2008 - 09:44 AM.

#79 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:24 AM

Jaymes - I am going to make the caramel corn and caramel and coconut covered marshmallows to give as gifts for Christmas eve - how far ahead do you think I can make the corn?

#80 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,451 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:35 AM

Jaymes - I am going to make the caramel corn and caramel and coconut covered marshmallows to give as gifts for Christmas eve - how far ahead do you think I can make the corn?

View Post

I've made it and sealed it up good and sent it to folks overseas. Guess it took a couple of weeks to get there and they said it was still wonderful, but I don't know for sure, since I never sampled it after that long (although now that I'm writing this, it occurs to me that I should have).

Often, however, I've intentionally made more than I thought I needed, so that it would last longer. But it just never does. It gets gobbled up and carted home.

Sorry that I can't give you a more definitive answer, but I definitely think if you seal it well, like in tins or something, it should last at least a week to ten days.

#81 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Here's my mother's recipe for:
Chocolate Popcorn

12 c. popped corn (about 2/3 cup kernels needed)
1 c. sugar
2/3 c. corn syrup, light or dark
2 Tbsp. butter
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 250F.
Place corn in large pan; I use a turkey roaster sprayed with Pam.
In a 2-qt. pan over medium heat, mix sugar, syrup, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and vanilla. Pour the chocolate syrup over popcorn and mix well. Bake 1 hour at 250F, stirring now and then. Spoon baked popcorn onto waxed paper or large baking sheets to cool, breaking up large clusters with a spoon. Store airtight.

This is a non-sticky treat. You can substitute bittersweet chocolate for the chips; add toasted coconut shavings or nuts such as almonds.

#82 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

Tonight I made 2 batches of Jaymes recipe, but opted for Lyle's Golden Syrup in place of molasses or maple. I LOVE Lyle's in caramel sauce and it didn't dissapoint here. I did one batch with nuts and one without (forgot them in the first batch).

I used microwave popcorn, but the lightly-salted, "natural flavor" variety.

Yummy stuff!

Tomorrow I'll make two more batches, then it's slated to go in baggies tucked into little holiday decorated Chinese-carryout style boxes for my co-workers.

#83 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:18 PM

Tonight I made 2 batches of Jaymes recipe, but opted for Lyle's Golden Syrup in place of molasses or maple.  I LOVE Lyle's in caramel sauce and it didn't dissapoint here.  I did one batch with nuts and one without (forgot them in the first batch). 

I used microwave popcorn, but the lightly-salted, "natural flavor" variety.

Yummy stuff! 

Tomorrow I'll make two more batches, then it's slated to go in baggies tucked into little holiday decorated Chinese-carryout style boxes for my co-workers.

View Post

I have a lot of golden syrup. Do you think it can be subbed for the corn syrup?

#84 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

I have a lot of golden syrup.  Do you think it can be subbed for the corn syrup?

View Post

Hmmm... I didn't think of going that way...
I subbed it for the molasses and added an extra tablespoon, just because I love the flavor. My corn turned out great!

If you sub the golden syrup for the corn syrup and leave the molasses, it will be much darker.

I'm tempted to try using 100% golden syrup... may do a small batch that way and see what happens.

#85 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

Jaz - I've been making caramel corn for 30 years, having learned at the elbow of my grandfather - 'nuff of that.

Instead of using roasted, salted nuts at the end of your cooking process, try adding the same volume of raw peanuts 1/2 through your cooking time. They'll still "sink" but they will all become mixed with the corn once you complete your cooking process, add the corn and stir

#86 kbjesq

kbjesq
  • participating member
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

I made four batches of Jaymes' recipe last weekend. I used (raw) mixed nuts (cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds and macadamia nuts). I mixed the popcorn and the nuts in large, disposable steam table trays and then poured the caramel mixture over. It was easy to mix in the large trays. Followed the directions to bake and stir, etc.

When cool, I put the caramel corn into cellophane bags and gave them away. I already have people calling and demanding more. This receipe is truly amazing - and I don't like caramel corn in general and have never made it before!

Thanks Jaymes, for sharing this recipe. I didn't feel like making cookies this year and your recipe is fun, easy and delicious!

#87 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

Jaz - I've been making caramel corn for 30 years, having learned at the elbow of my grandfather - 'nuff of that.

Instead of using roasted, salted nuts at the end of your cooking process, try adding the same volume of raw peanuts 1/2 through your cooking time.  They'll still "sink" but they will all become mixed with the corn once you complete your cooking process, add the corn and stir

View Post

I don't add them at the end, I add them at the beginning. I've tried stirring, and not stirring -- either way, they don't stay mixed with the popcorn. It's fine though -- I've decided I like it better without nuts.

#88 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

I made a batch with golden syrup ( for the corn syrup) and maple syrup for the molasses. Loved the flavor, but the texture isnt right. I can't describe it, its more sugary on the outside. Its not smooth like the other version. I made a big batch of the original version so I'll just mix the two together.

#89 choux

choux
  • participating member
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

I did mine with Roger's golden syrup and it crystallized. Still tastes good, but not quite right. Next time I'll use a mix of golden syrup and corn syrup. This stuff is totally addictive.

#90 onrushpam

onrushpam
  • participating member
  • 337 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

I made several batches with a mix of Karo and Lyle's and it was all great! My co-workers all said "Yummmmmm!"