Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Bellota Jamon Iberico Bones

Spanish

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 haribos

haribos
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

So I was able to get my hands on the bones of two bellota jamon iberico legs. But being an at home chef, i dont have a stock pot that big. Will chopping it into pieces affect the stock because of the marrow? Any suggestions on using these bones? Thanks!

#2 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:36 AM

I did this very thing. I did chop the bones, and I'm not sure if it affected the flavor; my guess would be that it was minimal. But the stock was so rich it would've covered up anything.

Be sure to skim the fat that collects on top. It's very tasty but I find that you can't use it in large amounts because it has an odd astringent effect.

#3 budrichard

budrichard
  • participating member
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

"Any suggestions on using these bones? "

Garbage, that's where mine went.-Dick

#4 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

Why not roast the marrow, then make a stock from the roasted bones? Best of both worlds.
PS: I am a guy.

#5 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:38 AM

spanish style pea soup? (With dried split peas, tomato and onion? We just had some for dinner, and I wish we'd had a spare ham bone or so to cook with it!

#6 Obese-Wan Kenobi

Obese-Wan Kenobi
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:53 AM

You can make callos, fabada, lentejas You can even use the stock to stir into your paella. Sky's the limit. Just don't throw it in the garbage and waste it until you've fully rendered every bit of flavor from it. :)

#7 kgian

kgian
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

Since I just finished eating my first jamon bellota leg, any recipe to make stock from the bones or the famous ham and pea soup?

Please explain thoroughly, I am kitchen illiterate :-))

#8 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I also used the bones in the past but I found the flavoring really strong.
Now we are going to have new bones soon. I could ask my butcher to saw them for me. Any suggestions on how to use them? Blanch them before adding to stock (or beans)? Or?
Also, I'm freezing the fat, it's inconceivable for me to waste it. In my mind I know how I would use prosciutto fat but I'd like to know if there are traditional ways to use the fat in Spanish cooking.

Thanks

#9 Paul Bacino

Paul Bacino
  • participating member
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

I hope you have a bit of meat on the bone, cuz that makes a much better stock. IMHO

Bass
Its good to have Morels

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spanish