Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Mousse Ganache

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 chiantiglace

chiantiglace
  • participating member
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

Frappe is great for a lot of things, a lot.  be creative.          a lot.....

Dean Anthony Anderson
"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This
Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

#32 dhardy123

dhardy123
  • participating member
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

I don't have a guitar. Would it be possible to pipe this into shells?

#33 Rox

Rox
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Am I too late to be added to the list?? :wink:  please, thank you.

#34 Tim Piatek

Tim Piatek
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

lironp, 

Finally got my eGullet membership squared up, Google kept putting the emails in the spam folder :-P

I was hoping you could send it to me as well? 

Much obliged,

Tim

#35 Tim Piatek

Tim Piatek
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't have a guitar. Would it be possible to pipe this into shells?

Absolutely, a mousse ganache would just be relatively thicker than the base ganache that made it, but lighter once set. It should be pipable without difficulty, in fact, I'm sure that's how they make several truffles, just instead of piping them in shells, they pipe out rounds to coat in chocolate. Pleasant in a shell, for sure. Even without a guitar, give making it a try, just try putting on a chocolate "foot", then flip it and cut with a knife dipped in warm water, then wiped dry between cuts. You can get great results, it just takes longer :-)

#36 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

In the course we didn't have time to let this set, so we actually piped the ganache into rosettes.

After now making this twice at home, I have 2 tips:

Work very quickly to spread the filling after whipping, it hardens very quickly.

Refrigerate before cutting with a guitar (or knife), which is what the Chef told us we would have to do although I had to see it to believe it!

Could anyone else reading this thread and who wants the recipe please PM me with the request, I have completely lost track of who I have sent the recipe to...

#37 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Dhardy123, if you try this in a shell, please post your results. 

Edited by DianaM, 17 April 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#38 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

In the course we didn't have time to let this set, so we actually piped the ganache into rosettes.

Work very quickly to spread the filling after whipping, it hardens very quickly.

Refrigerate before cutting with a guitar (or knife), which is what the Chef told us we would have to do although I had to see it to believe it!

Could anyone else reading this thread and who wants the recipe please PM me with the request, I have completely lost track of who I have sent the recipe to...

This is my next project after Mother's Day.  I was daydreaming about it this AM :)

Liron, why would you need to refrigerate the slab if it hardens quickly?  I think I'm missing something...

#39 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

It hardens quickly, but the end result isn't as firm as a ganache- when I cut through it with the guitar without cooling it, the corners got squished  :sad:

#40 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:41 AM

It hardens quickly, but the end result isn't as firm as a ganache- when I cut through it with the guitar without cooling it, the corners got squished  :sad:

Ahhh, so the difficulty in cutting is to time the right stage of firmness?  Too soft - corners squish; too firm - corners break....?

#41 chris2305

chris2305
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Please send me a copy of the recipe thank you