Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Herb Encrusted Potatoes - Dinosaur Eggs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 loki

loki
  • participating member
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:07 PM

Herb Encrusted Potatoes - Dinosaur Eggs

I made this up after having a similar potato at the Big Rock Cafe - at the Big Rock Candy Mountain in South-central Utah. These need nothing else - and are good cold too! Almost any combination of herbs and spices could be used. I made these to sort of follow a Mexican flair. I could not resist using a few Indian spices though - like the mustard seeds and ajwain (with a flavour reminiscent of oregano).

Ingredients
2 lbs new potatoes, small to medium
2 egg whites
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chile powder (just ground chiles)
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp rosemary
2 tsp dill seed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp ajwain seeds, optional
1/2 tsp celery seed
3 Tbs corn flour (not corn starch! you can grind corn meal in a spice/coffee grinder)
1 Tbs olive oil (a good one)

1. Scrub potatoes - you can peel if desired.

2. Mix egg whites and balsamic vinegar and beat till frothy - but not more than that.

3. Mix all herbs and spices (except the mustard seeds) and grind in a spice mill or coffee grinder till coarsely ground.

4. Mix salt, corn flour, ground herbs and spices, and mustard seeds well.

5. Coat potatoes in the egg whites - one or a few at a time, and roll and coat in spice mixture.

6. Bake the potatoes either in an outdoor grill on medium (covered) or in a 375 oven for 30 minutes.

7. Drizzle with olive oil and serve.

Servings: 6
Yield: 15 potatoes

Cooking Times
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes