Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Christmas Cookies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
567 replies to this topic

#541 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

So far I've made peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies (from Vanilla Garlic blog), cranberry and white chocolate biscotti (from Gourmet). I've got a batch of peppery bourbon gingersnap dough chilling in the fridge (recipe from Food52). I'll try to post pics of those when I finally make them-- so pretty once the glaze is on. Also plan to make some "nut gems"-- a family recipe sort of like shortbread, sort of like wedding cookies. My favorite. Considering more biscotti, and the advisability of making soft ginger snaps but with garam masala spice.

#542 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

I've got high-molasses gingersnaps chilling, and there will also be maple-walnut shortbread, cup-o-everythings, classic oatmeal chocolate chip, mocha crispies, brandy snaps, chocolate-chip sugars, and probably some jammy dodgers using Mortiño compotes I put up earlier this year, if I've got time.
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#543 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:08 AM

I've got high-molasses gingersnaps chilling, and there will also be maple-walnut shortbread, cup-o-everythings, classic oatmeal chocolate chip, mocha crispies, brandy snaps, chocolate-chip sugars, and probably some jammy dodgers using Mortiño compotes I put up earlier this year, if I've got time.

I'm intrigued -what are cup-o-everything's?

#544 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Cup-o-everything cookies are exactly what they sound like. I cup of each of the following: sweet butter, panela (or brown sugar, at least demerrera), flour, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut, and oats. One egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp milk, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Cream the butter, peanut butter, and sugar together, beat in the egg and vanilla, then beat in the leavens, flour and oats, and fold in the chocolate chips and coconut. Drop by spoonfuls, and then either smush down with a fork or else use a half walnut to smush the cookie. 350 F for 8 minutes at my altitude.

They're glorious.

Edited because I'm scatterbrained and forgot the things that aren't one cup, ie the egg. :blush:

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense, 10 December 2012 - 06:27 AM.

#545 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

use a half walnut to smush the cookie. 350 F for 8 minutes at my altitude.

Is that a technical chef-y term? :wink:

They DO sound good.

#546 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 987 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'm just making my candied citrus peels now, then I'll be able to make my honey spice bars...and white fruit cake. Will try to make rum balls, pecan puffs, and frosted sugar cookies, but somehow there's less time in the world and more waistline!

#547 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

use a half walnut to smush the cookie. 350 F for 8 minutes at my altitude.

Is that a technical chef-y term? :wink:

They DO sound good.

It's my gooder unimaversity English. And yes, smush is a technical term for bakers!

#548 LindaK

LindaK
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

This time of year I definitely overdo the cookies.

Yesterday I made dough for molasses spice (with lots of chopped candied ginger) and a butter almond cookie that is simple but insanely good. I just took the last pan from the oven, they're cooling now. Both freeze well and the butter-almond stars will be dipped in chocolate before serving.

The only other regular in my Christmas cookie rotation is a chocolate cherry cookie, something like a brownie batter w/ dried cherries (soaked in rum), formed in balls and rolled in confectionary sugar. When baked they get fudgy and cracked, with the sugar giving the cookies a nice white glaze. They need to be baked the same day as serving, but the batter is quick to assemble and can be made the day before.

I'm always looking for something new, so I'm very interested in what others are making here.

#549 Genkinaonna

Genkinaonna
  • participating member
  • 577 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

I've already made Santa's whiskers, which are a pecan, coconut and candied cherry shortbread slice and bake cookie. They won't last until Christmas, but they're a family tradition. I'm planning on making rum balls, mint chip brownies, and World Peace cookies this weekend. Most of them will go to the preschool my daughter attends, I don't want them hanging around the house where I'll eat them all myself!
If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

#550 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Just wanted everyone to know that I tried Jaymes' recipe for Fruit Cake cookies - look on the first page of this discussion thread - and they are wonderful!  I'll definitely be adding them to my list each year from now on.  Thanks for sharing, Jaymes!

View Post

Look at me...I'm beaming!!! :biggrin:

I agree, they are good. Even folks that don't like fruitcake like these. They're sorta the same, but different. Completely different texture....because of course they're cookies, not cake.

Thanks for letting me know.

:rolleyes:

Edited to add: I've been to a LOT of cookie exchanges throughout the years, and this is one of my favorite recipes to take. In addition to being delicious, they're very festive and pretty and 'Christmasy' and I've yet to have anyone else show up with the same thing.

Just finished this year's batch of these fruitcake cookies, and butterscotch cookies. Bourbon balls just about aged enough. Wonderful time of year!

"KNOWLEDGE TENDS TO ELEVATE THE HORSES" - cdh

#551 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

If you're looking for Cookie Inspiration and want more even after reading back over the pages of this absolutely wonderful thread, you might check out Cookie Madness, a terrific website devoted to all things cookie. It's by Anna, who is a previous Pillsbury Cook-off winner. She posts here as Claire797 (although I haven't seen her around for a while).

She's fun, knowledgeable and approachable. I highly recommend her website to anyone interested in making the very best cookies possible.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/

Edited by Jaymes, 11 December 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#552 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 875 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

So far I've made peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies (from Vanilla Garlic blog), cranberry and white chocolate biscotti (from Gourmet). I've got a batch of peppery bourbon gingersnap dough chilling in the fridge (recipe from Food52). I'll try to post pics of those when I finally make them-- so pretty once the glaze is on. Also plan to make some "nut gems"-- a family recipe sort of like shortbread, sort of like wedding cookies. My favorite. Considering more biscotti, and the advisability of making soft ginger snaps but with garam masala spice.

I'm intrigued by the peppery bourbon gingersnap cookies. I'd love to see a photo!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#553 jrshaul

jrshaul
  • participating member
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

I have recently been confronted with the fact that I can't make cookies worth their flour. I feel like a goon.

#554 SylviaLovegren

SylviaLovegren
  • participating member
  • 987 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

I have recently been confronted with the fact that I can't make cookies worth their flour. I feel like a goon.

But that's unpossible! Cookies are supposed to be easy, in general. What kind of cookies induced these feelings of failure and despair?

#555 Mjx

Mjx
  • host
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

I'd bet you just haven't tried a reliable recipe. Most cookies really do seem impossible to screw up; once, to my horror, I realized I forgot the baking soda called for by a recipe for spice cookies (I had this revelation as I was forming them), and they were still okay. Maybe not ideal for people with poorly attached teeth, but still tasty.
Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Host, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

#556 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I got a cookie assortment in the mail from my daughter yesterday: Shortbread, Chocolate Mint, Gingersnaps, Sugar Cookies and Caramel Bars. My favorite of hers is Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jelly, but they don't travel well.

She will get from me: Mock Strudel (Cream Cheese Pastry with various jams), Praline Bars, 4 layer Lime-Shortbread Bars, Chocolate Crinkles and one other as yet unchosen. I'm leaning towards a Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie.
Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

#557 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I got a cookie assortment in the mail from my daughter yesterday: Shortbread, Chocolate Mint, Gingersnaps, Sugar Cookies and Caramel Bars. My favorite of hers is Thumbprint Cookies with strawberry jelly, but they don't travel well.

She will get from me: Mock Strudel (Cream Cheese Pastry with various jams), Praline Bars, 4 layer Lime-Shortbread Bars, Chocolate Crinkles and one other as yet unchosen. I'm leaning towards a Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie.

Boy, that "Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie" sounds great. Certainly two of my personal favorite flavors.

Any chance for the recipe?

#558 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

A while ago, in a thread on pomegranate molasses, someone posted a link for these cookies. (I cut and pasted it below, I hope it still comes up as a link. If not, try the one below it.) They are the best new cookies I've made in a very long time. The only thing I would change next time is that I'd increase the amount of fennel, but that's just personal taste. These are really excellent. I roll them to 1/16" and follow her suggestion to reduce the oven temp to 250F after baking, return the cookies to the oven, then turn the oven off. Leave them in the oven until it has completely cooled. It crisps the cookies beautifully without burning them. They're sort of a cross between a cookie and a cracker. I use Cortas brand pomegranate molasses.

Fennel sesame cookies

http://debunix.net/r...ameCookies.html

#559 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

Boy, that "Brown Butter and Brown Sugar Drop Cookie" sounds great. Certainly two of my personal favorite flavors.

Here's one: http://www.remodelah...cookies-recipe/

I found a couple of recipes and haven't decided which one to use yet. Will repost after baking1

#560 heidih

heidih
  • 10,647 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

I was not going to bake this year but an email kicked my butt into action. I am going super simple with just Pumpkin Bread (spiced additionally with fresh ginger juice for first time), Linzer Torte in a bar form, and baklava. They all need to be baked tomorrow after I shop for ingredients - will post pictures.

#561 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

Finally, here's the pic of the peppery gingerbread, since emmalish expressed an interest. Not a great picture (goofy background, but it was better than the brown table), but you get the idea. I used the Williams-Sonoma cutters that press a design into the dough.

The garam masala gingersnaps with white chocolate cream cheese icing were not as pretty, but delicious enough that they were devoured and will be going into a second production run today or tomorrow. Also did some peppermint mocha shortbreads.

Attached Images

• cookies.JPG

#562 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

Sorry if that photo was larger than necessary. I've not got too much experience with uploads here yet.

#563 emmalish

emmalish
  • participating member
  • 875 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thank you for that! They look fantastic. I'm planning to make these in the week after Christmas, so they won't technically be Christmas cookies anymore. I'll post a pic too tho.

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

#564 ruthcooks

ruthcooks
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Here's one: http://www.remodelah...cookies-recipe/

I found a couple of recipes and haven't decided which one to use yet. Will repost after baking1

Pretty much made this recipe, with 1 egg plus 1 yolk. Formed in balls, rolled in granulated sugar, pressed down with bottom of glass.
Made 26 cookies. Easy, but I was not impressed, will not make again.

#565 janeer

janeer
  • participating member
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:44 PM

way behind this year and have made only pistachio brown sugar biscotti, hazelnut poppyseed, and cherry-pistachio icebox cookies (can't have too many pistachios). Must find a way to make my favorite shortbread cookie with caraway and currants. And maybe some pecan-crusted thumbprints with apricot jam. Not a huge fan of chocolate cookies. Well, except for Maida Heatter's Craters.

#566 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

TeakettleSlim, the peppery gingerbread looks delicious! How did you like them? Sounds like the garam masala gingersnaps with white chocolate cream cheese icing were the favorite cookie of the day.

#567 TeakettleSlim

TeakettleSlim
  • participating member
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

Curls, the peppery gingerbread is excellent. Wonderful flavor, they cut out nicely and keep well. But yes, the garam masala ones were the favorites in the end. Such a nice chew, and the spice complemented the frosting so well. Not as pretty, but addictive.

Here's the recipe for those-- I just subbed 1 Tbs garam masala for the spices :
http://www.twopeasan...heese-frosting/

#568 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

This year's cookies...

cookies_zps0b76acb3.jpg

Mostly kept it simple. Orange walnut biscotti, bacon gingersnaps with maple glaze (thanks Kerry, they were a hit with pretty much everybody that tried them), lemon poppy seed with lemon glaze, peanut butter, brown butter chocolate chip (dark and white chips by request), vanilla bean (basically a soft, chewy sugar cookie with a couple vanilla beans scraped in the dough and rolled in vanilla sugar before baking), hot chocolate (soft, chewy chocolate cookie with cayenne in the dough, rolled in cinnamon sugar before baking), toasted oatmeal cashew and Mr. Hankey gingerbreads.

[Moderator note: This topic is rapidly approaching a size that our servers won't handle it efficiently, so we've locked it. There's a fresh discussion of holiday cookies, here: http://forums.egulle...-cookies-redux/]

Edited by Mjx, 31 October 2013 - 09:42 AM.
Moderator note added.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.