Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Oreo Cookies

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

I can't have Oreo cookies in my house. I will and have eaten entire packages in a single sitting. Dipped in milk, regular variety only, please. You can keep your doublestuff golden cakester whatever-the-heck-they-are. And I better not catch you with any damn Hydrox!!

Any other Oreo fans?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#2 vloglady

vloglady
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:04 PM

If you're an Oreo fan, I so hate to mention this..... BUT....have you ever tried Deep Fried Oreos?

I made them for a Scottish event for my club. Basically, it's a thin pancake batter. Dip the Oreo in to coat. Deep fry for a minute or so. Drain on paper towels. SOOOOO delish!

Check out http://allrecipes.co...eos/Detail.aspx

And I deep fried Mars bars too. Freeze the bars first. Use the small ones, or cut a regular bar in half. A little bit of powdered sugar went on the top. I only made them twice for our different events. I just can't make them, they're soooo good!

Susan

#3 Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

Oh yes. Original for me, milk on the side.

#4 NadyaDuke

NadyaDuke
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

But I have to take them apart and eat each half separately. If one side comes apart with less frosting I eat that one first.

#5 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

On average, Oreos last two hours at our house. Round 1: just a few because they're such a treat! Round 2: sneaking them between shop and dinner. Round 3: dessert! Gone.

Oreos are God's sign that s/he truly loves us. My entire family agrees with this statement.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#6 BrentKulman

BrentKulman
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:41 AM

I can't have Oreo cookies in my house. I will and have eaten entire packages in a single sitting. Dipped in milk, regular variety only, please. You can keep your doublestuff golden cakester whatever-the-heck-they-are. And I better not catch you with any damn Hydrox!!

Any other Oreo fans?

Well, where are those of us who are Hydrox fans going to get our fix, nowadays, anyway? Those of you who prefer the sweetness of the Oreo cookie to the more subtle chocolate character of Hydrox have already won that battle, to the dismay of many (but obviously not enough) diehards. When the brand was briefly reprised a few years ago, what was produced was an insult to the original, IMO.

#7 nakji

nakji
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:51 AM

I live down the street from the Kraft factory. When I'm on my way to my evening lessons, I can smell them baking the chocolate cookie portion. How do I know they're making my Oreos? Because all the Oreo packets say "Made in Suzhou". I like the kind with the peanut butter filling - do they make those in the U.S.?

#8 sparrowgrass

sparrowgrass
  • participating member
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:24 AM

Oreos are irresistable to me, too. I try not to buy them at all, but if I really get the jones on, I get the small packages that they have at the convenience store. Six cookies, gone instantly.

No milk, no twisting them apart--just stuff one cookie into my mouth after another.

Oh, I do love Oreos.
sparrowgrass

#9 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Growing up, we always got the knock-offs/store brands...my mother's attempt to save a few pennies. :angry:
I like my Oreos with my morning coffee (with milk and sugar). A mocha chocolate treat. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#10 suzilightning

suzilightning
  • participating member
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

add johnnybird to the group. i also buy the bags of minis so he can keep a bag in his briefcase. just in case he is stuck in a long meeting
he will at least have a little something to snack on...and maybe offer around the table.
The first zucchini I ever saw I killed it with a hoe.

Joe Gould
Monstrous Depravity (1963)

#11 jsmeeker

jsmeeker
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:18 AM

I don't buy them too often, but really do like them. They are great for making a chocolate cookie crumb pie crust. Something I learned from Cooks Illustrated. And just yesterday, I spied something that is timed right for this time of the year. Oreos in the shape of footballs!! Perfect for your upcoming game watching parties.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"
jmeeker@eGullet.org

#12 blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin
  • participating member
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

One of my co-workers keeps a package of Oreos in his desk drawer. He eats 2 cookies each afternoon. I find such restraint unnatural.

#13 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

I think the Newman's Oreo knockoffs are better than Oreos. I also think Oreos circa 1980 were better than Oreos today.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#14 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

That is because they contained lard, yes?
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#15 JeanneCake

JeanneCake
  • participating member
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:59 PM

I will and have eaten entire packages in a single sitting.

There's nothing wrong with that.

I love Oreos in all flavors; I am not so crazy about the blonde ones and I do not like the cakester things. We just started getting the vanilla/chocolate cookie version (blonde cookie on one side, chocolate cookie on the other, vanilla filling).

The most popular flavor of cheesecake I make? Oreo. :wub:

#16 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

That is because they contained lard, yes?

That seems possible: lard does make great cookies.

Edited by Chris Hennes, 28 August 2010 - 05:01 PM.
Added quote

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#17 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

I believe the lard was in the filling.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#18 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,627 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

The good folks at Cornell helped out. Andy Bernard would be proud:

Joe Regenstein, professor of food science at Cornell and director of the Cornell Kosher and Halal Food Initiative, ... told the story of how Nabisco's famous Oreo cookie was converted into a fully orthodox kosher product [in December 1997, according to the Orthodox Union (OU)]. Regenstein served as an informal consultant to get the process started by giving a talk at Nabisco on the koshering process in the mid-1990s.

The costly transformation took more than three years. "It was probably the most expensive conversion of a company from non-kosher to kosher," Regenstein said. Nabisco owned approximately 100 baking ovens measuring about 300 feet in length, nearly the length of a football field, and all had to be converted to kosher.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory

#19 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:07 AM

Recently, Oreos (Nabisco) has been having success with their limited edition flavors. The two I've tried were Marshmallow Treat and Birthday Cake.

They've announced a new limited edition flavor: 

"This is NOT a Drill: Limited-Edition Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Oreos Exist"

The cookies feature half chocolate and half peanut butter flavored creme with the classic chocolate cookie exterior. 

They launch on June 9th. If you try them, please report back.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#20 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#21 lindag

lindag
  • participating member
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

I like Oreos (also with milk).  The only ones I have on hand now are the fudgy type - and they're very good.

I also have the Peanut Butter Gaucho cookies.  They're back! and I couldn't resist buying a package.

#22 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

I think the Newman's Oreo knockoffs are better than Oreos.

I never did get the chance to tell Fat Guy that he was right (on this one thing!). I'd never had the Newman O's until he suggested it, but they are really good.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#23 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,884 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:21 AM

I never did get the chance to tell Fat Guy that he was right (on this one thing!). I'd never had the Newman O's until he suggested it, but they are really good.

Yeah - he was right on occasion!

Have you tried the Wegman's oreo knock offs?  They are excellent.  When I was picking up big boxes of oreo knockoffs to dip for the Luxury Chocolate Show I happened to mention to the folks at the factory that I thought the Wegman's version were the best - the girl in the front office proudly announced that they were the company that makes them for Wegmans!  So the trick is to figure out when they are manufacturing those particular cookies to get a box of overruns.  I'll bet they make the Newman's O's too.  

#24 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:45 AM

FRIED CHICKEN OREOS??

http://www.foodbeast...-chicken-oreos/

Why not maple bacon oreos too while they are at it?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#25 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,741 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:13 AM

anyone actually seen the F.C.Oreos ? Id try them 

:huh:

they have to be fake ....

Edited by rotuts, 17 July 2014 - 06:28 AM.

#26 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Wegmans oreo knockoffs are good, but I wish they made the version with the vanilla cookies and chocolate cream!

I really don't like the Newman-Os. Something in the flavor and the texture really turns me off. Maybe it reminds me of an old person's musty house, for some reason?

Visiting a supermarket in NE Ohio earlier this week, I saw Golden Oreos with limeade creme. We didn't get any because I was afraid they wouldn't do well in the car with the sun beating down on them for 6+ hours.

MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#27 GlorifiedRice

GlorifiedRice
  • participating member
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

So apparently the Fried Chicken Oreos are fake, but people want them so I hope they make them anyway....

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

#28 kiruzsal

kiruzsal
  • participating member
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:57 PM

Oreos are irresistable to me too.  Oreo + Milk = LOVE :D

#29 TeddyAllen

TeddyAllen
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

Nothing better than a bite of Oreo after a long working day. Or when I'm depressed, it helps a lot reviving my energy level.

#30 ChocoMom

ChocoMom
  • participating member
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:10 AM

Oreos are one of the basic food groups, in our house.   It doesn't matter- kids or adults- Oreos disappear at lightening speed.

And, thanks to their new packaging with the peel-back opening, I've been frustrated more times than I can count.  I set them under a towel, in the corner of the counter, in my workshop, thinking they'd be safe. Later, I went in to begin work, and it looked like I had an undisturbed, unopened package sitting on the counter.  But no!  The opening can be perfectly re-sealed!!!!    My son (17)  ate the entire contents, and put the package back in exactly the same place with the top perfectly re-sealed. Stealthy little bugger, he is.  Now, the workshop door stays locked.

Oreos and PB Oreos make terrific truffles, btw.  Original Oreos work well with white chocolate; the PB Oreos go with Milk Chocolate.  Pulverize them to kingdom-come, and blend into the ganache.  

I've often thought the imprint on the Oreo would make the perfect family crest. :wink: