Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Master Chef on Fox

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

There's that one guy, the travel writer from Texas, who redefines "emote." I am losing respect for Gordon Ramsay in that he has yet to slam him against the wall and slap any and all expressions off the guy's face.

Edited by Holly Moore, 07 July 2011 - 11:08 AM.

Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#32 Werdna

Werdna
  • participating member
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

What a great ending that would be! I think guy in silly hat really got kicked off the show a while back, but the producers made them keep him around. I'm pretty sure there was a challenge where they did not show his food being tasted.

Glad they did not give anyone slack about not having brussle sprouts in their cole-slaw in the last episode, that was a silly ingredient.

#33 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Anyone watching this season's shows?
I can't believe that the guest judges last night were Guy Savoy, Daniel Boulud and Alain Ducasse. I think somebody at Fox must have something on the three of them in order to get them to appear on this show.
And then the idiot contestants didn't give every judge's serving the same plating...some were actually missing ingredients! Inconceivable! [/Vizzini]
I think Christine will win in the end. She has an amazing talent for flavor and for plating, if you can believe that (she's legally blind).

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”
– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

#34 Holly Moore

Holly Moore
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

I don't think there has been a single episode of either Hell's Kitchen or Master Chef where the judging is not tied just before a commercial, with the deciding vote being cast just after the break.
Holly Moore
"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com
Twitter

#35 dcarch

dcarch
  • participating member
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

"------I think Christine will win in the end. She has an amazing talent for flavor and for plating, if you can believe that (she's legally blind).---"

I don't know the definition of legally blind, but she seemed to be able to see very well from on top of the balcony to what was going on down on the kitchen floor.

dcarch

#36 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

"------I think Christine will win in the end. She has an amazing talent for flavor and for plating, if you can believe that (she's legally blind).---"

I don't know the definition of legally blind, but she seemed to be able to see very well from on top of the balcony to what was going on down on the kitchen floor.

dcarch

As I watched it, she was getting a running commentary from Becky, the other female finalist, and that is what she was reacting to. I, for one, hope she wins. And I absolutely do NOT think she is faking it.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#37 KaffeeKlatsch

KaffeeKlatsch
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

In the first season one of the contestants kept a journal. She then posted the entries for each challenge the day after they aired. It was really interesting. Inbetween challenges, the contestants were put through workshops teaching them the techniques that home cooks might not have. For instance, they'd be taught how to trim and filet fish the week before a seafood challenge. They were also taught plating, if I recall correctly. The workshops were often led by one of the three judges.

I don't know if they still do that because it's never mentioned on air, but I hope they do. This has become my favorite food-oriented show.

#38 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

As I watched it, she was getting a running commentary from Becky, the other female finalist, and that is what she was reacting to. I, for one, hope she wins. And I absolutely do NOT think she is faking it.

I agree about the running commentary keeping her abreast of what's happening down below.
And when Becky and Christine paired up on this week's challenge, Becky was basically leading Christine through the show pantry picking out ingredients, getting her feedback, and so on.
I know Christine has an non-contestant assistant who helps her get around in the show kitchen because of her lack of sight. I'm assuming the assistant didn't do any of the plating of last week's tuna dish and that it was all Christine's doing which makes it all the more remarkable since the judge's said her plating looked the same as the original plated dish.

In the first season one of the contestants kept a journal. She then posted the entries for each challenge the day after they aired. It was really interesting. Inbetween challenges, the contestants were put through workshops teaching them the techniques that home cooks might not have. For instance, they'd be taught how to trim and filet fish the week before a seafood challenge. They were also taught plating, if I recall correctly. The workshops were often led by one of the three judges.

I don't know if they still do that because it's never mentioned on air, but I hope they do. This has become my favorite food-oriented show.

I think that's pretty cool, too. If someone asked me to whip up three different soufflés, I'd be completely lost. I'd need lots of instruction.
I'm amazed that Josh and Frank were able to do it.

#39 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

I agree about the running commentary keeping her abreast of what's happening down below.
And when Becky and Christine paired up on this week's challenge, Becky was basically leading Christine through the show pantry picking out ingredients, getting her feedback, and so on.
I know Christine has an non-contestant assistant who helps her get around in the show kitchen because of her lack of sight. I'm assuming the assistant didn't do any of the plating of last week's tuna dish and that it was all Christine's doing which makes it all the more remarkable since the judge's said her plating looked the same as the original plated dish.

I also remember hearing, the first episode out after the finalists had been chosen, that the assistant was not allowed to cook or plate. She could help Christine find things, and point them out on the board, but essentially could not touch the food in any prep, cooking or plating.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#40 KaffeeKlatsch

KaffeeKlatsch
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

In one of the episodes, they did talk to Christine about what she could see. She's not completely blind in that everything is black. She can see shapes, shadows, light, and dark. It's still amazing how well she cooks and plates. I was very interested in this part because legally blind starts, I believe, at 20/400 non-correctable vision. My vision is 20/400 in one eye and 20/200 in the other, but I'm lucky in that it's correctable with glasses.

#41 ElsieD

ElsieD
  • participating member
  • 856 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Do you happen to remember who and where this is posted? I would be interested to read this.

#42 Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock
  • society donor
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

That's really interesting. I was wondering in season 1 how everyone just dove into the Eggs Benedict challenge and made the Hollandaise fairly quickly -when I've had so many issues training employees to make it so that it stays together.

#43 Toliver

Toliver
  • participating member
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!...Christine.
Though I wasn't sure if she was going to win during the final judging. The judges kept asking her "This is the final cookoff of MasterChef and this simple dish is your entry? What are you thinking?"
Josh did push the envelope with his cooking but it ended up being quite the mixed bag in the end. He did a great appetizer...but the lobster was undercooked. Great pecan pie for dessert...but the added twist of bacon in the crust ended up making the dough soggy from the extra fat....and so on.
I know Christine gets prize money for winning. Does she also get a job in one of Ramsey's kitchen? And if so, will she also have an assistant like she did on the show?

#44 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

And where can I buy Christine's book.
"And you, you're just a stinker."

#45 hsm

hsm
  • participating member
  • 315 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Does she also get a job in one of Ramsey's kitchen?

That's the Hell's Kitchen prize. Christine gets the money and the book deal.

And I don't have to look at GEB try to be a TV show host/judge for awhile.

#46 KaffeeKlatsch

KaffeeKlatsch
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Do you happen to remember who and where this is posted? I would be interested to read this.

Sorry, I just saw this question. I just deleted it from Google reader a few weeks ago since it's been inactive for a while. I don't remember her name, but it was the woman from India in the first season.

#47 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:04 AM

And so it's back for another season.

I've wondered about this - if as home cooks they're supposed to already know "everything," or if they're given some instructive help.  This makes sense to me.

Anyone else watching?

Any early favorites?

#48 buffy

buffy
  • participating member
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

My early favorite is that Lobster Cracker Jack!!

That looked so delicious.

#49 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

The posturing is already getting on my nerves.

#50 huiray

huiray
  • society donor
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

http://www.chicagotr...0,2429333.story

#51 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Anyone watching the kids on Masterchef Junior?

Love the little dude in the Hawiian shirts.  That clip of him chopping like a maniac cracks me up!

#52 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:57 PM

I haven't seen it yet.  Are Ramsey and company judging it too?  What night is it on?

#53 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

I haven't seen it yet.  Are Ramsey and company judging it too?  What night is it on?

It's on Friday nights, but I'm sure you can find lots of reruns so you can tune in from the getgo. 

Yep, Ramsey & Company judging.

One really cute episode had their kids joining in the judging.

I think it's adorable.  Really have my favorites.  Love the pudgy Asian girl with the big red plastic bow.  OMG what a cutie, with such a zest for life.  Hope she never loses that.  I'm thinking of getting a big red plastic bow for myself.

And Alexander, a chubby big kid that is the clear front-runner.  It's certainly possible that with his terrific personality he's one of the most popular students at his school, but I think it's more likely that he's not.  And it is so wonderful that he's got this love and appreciation for cooking as his "thing."  Like the dweeby violinist in the school band, you know?  Somebody that's so very good at something else that you know that no matter what the other schoolkids throw his way, it ain't gonna affect him one bit.  Usually, I root for the underdog, and not for the obvious front-runner.  But in "Big Al" (his nickname), I'm totally on his side.

Then there's little Sarah, at only nine years old.  Everybody keeps expecting her to fail because she's the youngest.  But thus far, she's stuck it to 'em every time.

Here's a link to the Fox website.  You can see that the judges are covered in something white.  It's whipping cream.  to determine the final winner from one challenge, the top three finishers had to whip cream by hand.  They had to whip it to stiff peaks, stiff enough that it wouldn't fall out of the bowl when they turned it upside down.  So to judge, each one of the three kids went up to stand behind one of the judges and turn the bowl over to see if the cream was whipped enough to not fall out.

As you can see, not everybody was so successful!

http://www.fox.com/masterchef-junior/

#54 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks!  It sounds great and I meant to watch it and forgot all about it.  I got soured on kids and cooking by making the mistake of watching Rachael Ray and Spiky Fierri and their kids cooking show.

Those two are cringe-worthy in themselves, but the editing made it totally obvious who was going to win from the git-go.

#55 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Can't believe there wasn't more comment regarding Junior Masterchef.

One of my favorite TV bits ever took place during the cream-whipping contest (that I mentioned above).

Little 9-yr-old Sarah had a crush on Gavin, one of the three whipping contestants.

In this clip, with the three finalists whipping furiously, the other kids are rooting them on from the sidelines.  You can see Little Sarah down at the end of the line, jumping up and down, and cheering on Gavin: "Come on, Gavin. Whip it!  Whip like a man! I don't wanna see that arm stop moving!  Whip like a man!"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=vnxiu3DJgtI

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes, 08 November 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#56 scubadoo97

scubadoo97
  • participating member
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

There is something very wrong here

#57 annabelle

annabelle
  • participating member
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

I love Masterchef Junior.  Tonight is the finale and I bet Dara takes it home!

• Jaymes likes this

#58 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

I love Masterchef Junior.  Tonight is the finale and I bet Dara takes it home!

I'd sure love to have the recipe for those chicken wings about which the judges were waxing so rhapsodic.

#59 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,437 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

And overcooked shrimp dooms another hopeful.

Kind of sad.

But understandable.