Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Chinchon - Spanish Anis

Spanish

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

Just picked up two interesting-looking bottles of Anis Liqueur from Spain called "Chinchon", one labeled "Dulce" (sweet) and bottled at 70 proof, the other "Seco" (dry) at 86 proof. Anyone ever heard of this stuff and/or tried it? I suppose I'm feeling sorry for myself for missing out on the last bottles of White Label Ojen sold in the last year or so at Martin Wine Cellar in New Orleans, and I'm looking for something a bit closer to Ojen than, say, MB Anisette (not that there's anything wrong with MB Anisette) for use in Ojen Frappes....
Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
- Bogart

#2 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Well, they are both outstanding and miles better than MB Anisette, which is sweet enough to taste like anise-flavored simple syrup to me. Even the Dulce is far drier than the MB, and much more complex with layers of flavor. The Seco is even better, nice and dry but still a liqueur (i.e., it's not like absinthe tasted neat). Both make an amazing Ojen (or rather Chinchon) Frappe -- see http://looka.gumbopa...31/ojen-frappe/ for history and recipe -- and best may be the two combined (about 1.5 oz of the Seco and .5 oz of the Dulce). Very good stuff!
Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
- Bogart

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Spanish