Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Freezing Salami etc.

Charcuterie

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joesan

joesan
  • participating member
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:16 AM

I brought back lots of professionally made whole salami, coppa, bresaola etc. from Italy.

The idea was to cut them as needed on my meat slicer and enjoy piles of fresh charcuterie. However I find cleaning the meat slicer each time a real pain so I've gone ahead and sliced everything into the appropriate cuts. I've then packed the meats into separate vacuum bags. Each one weighs about 200g.

The salamis were about 3 months opened at the point where I sliced them, and in good condition. I was wondering what people thought would be the best way to store them? I was thinking of freezing them in the vacuum bags but wasn't sure how well they would freeze.

Anyone have any practical experience or tips?

Edited by joesan, 02 June 2010 - 04:16 AM.

#2 nickrey

nickrey
  • society donor
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:48 AM

I've frozen similar processed meats to salami in vacuum bags and they seem to survive the process remarkably well.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four.
Unless there are three other people." Orson Welles
My eG Foodblog

#3 ChickenStu

ChickenStu
  • participating member
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Should last pretty well in the fridge in vacuum bags. I always think cured products have a negative texture change when frozen.

#4 Luke

Luke
  • participating member
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:43 AM

Be careful. You can't normally freeze fat very well. While the protein meat will freeze, the fat will go rank a lot quicker. For this reason, frozen bacon and tuna (both with high oil/fat contents) don't freeze well for more than 3 months.

Luke

#5 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:35 AM

Interesting, Luke, that's been the opposite of my experience, I find that fat freezes exceptionally well. I have had excellent results freezing salume (and bacon, for that matter) for many months, perhaps as long as a year, with no obvious degradation in quality if brought back to room temperature slowly. Are you vacuum-sealing it?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charcuterie