Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Teakettle

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 glenn

glenn
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 12:01 PM

I basically just want it to boil water for coffee (press) and occasionally tea and cocoa. I'm tired of ugly looking monstrosities that you have to remove from the stove when your mother-in-law comes to visit, handles that you need 3 towels to grab on to so you don't get a 1st degree burn and water that tastes of metallic particles. The All-Clad LTD kettle looks like it'll fit the bill, though it costs a small fortune. Anyone have experience with the all-clad? What's the best place to buy all-clad stuff? other recommendations? Thanks!

[If this topic has come up I promise to go stand in the corner forever. The search engine came up with zilch, but I seem to be mentally challenged with egullet's search facilities.]

#2 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 12:07 PM

I'm pretty fond of my Russell Hobbs Cordless Electric Teakettle (Model 3114US1). It boils water very quickly and has auto-shutoff -- something you'll never find in a stovetop kettle! And it never sits on the stove so that issue doesn't come up.

Posted Image

The other one I have is Le Creuset:

Posted Image

Comes in all the nice Le Creuset colors and looks very sharp on the stovetop.

Also do yourself a favor and if you don't have one get a Brita filter pitcher and use filtered water for all boiling needs. It makes a noticeable difference in the end product. As they say, coffee is 98% water, so the water is important.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#3 mb7o

mb7o
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 12:20 PM

One sure way to avoid metallic particles is to use glass...

Posted Image

Though I can't guarantee you won't burn your hand since the stopper and spout don't always match quite right.

Edited by mb7o, 23 November 2002 - 12:21 PM.

#4 mixmaster b

mixmaster b
  • participating member
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 01:53 PM

I have a blue enamel Chantal Kettle and I hate it because the handle gets hot.

I would get rid of it, but it was a gift.

That glass thing looks really cool!

#5 Suzanne F

Suzanne F
  • legacy participant
  • 7,398 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 06:31 PM

I've got Oxo, from Broadway Panhandler. It was relatively inexpensive. Enamelled inside and out. Big fat handle that doesn't get hot. Only problem is the handle of the cover broke off, but I fill it through the spout (or pry off the cover). Capacity is something 48 oz. -- fills my 1-quart thermos with about 2 - 3 cups extra.

Btw: Bway P. is a great place to buy All-Clad, if you can't get to one of their outlet stores. And when they do their annual Yard Sale (usually early summer), you save even more.

Edited by Suzanne F, 23 November 2002 - 06:34 PM.

#6 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

I keep a cast iron Japanese tetsubin on the stove these days. It looks great and works well. The handle does get screaming hot but hands without towels are for tourists.

I've checked on the web and it looks much like this:
Posted Image

Except mine is turned to the left.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

#7 researchgal

researchgal
  • legacy participant
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 08:34 PM

we have the Chantal blue enamel one too, but love it. Boils water quickly and looks great sitting on the stove. Also love the special german harmonica whistle--probably not a good thing if someone in your house likes to boil water before others rise.

#8 Jason Perlow

Jason Perlow
  • 13,501 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 09:04 PM

I'm pretty fond of my Russell Hobbs Cordless Electric Teakettle (Model 3114US1). It boils water very quickly and has auto-shutoff -- something you'll never find in a stovetop kettle! And it never sits on the stove so that issue doesn't come up.

Posted Image

Cordless teakettle? What, does it have a lithium ion rechargeable battery in it or something?
Jason Perlow
Co-Founder, The Society for Culinary Arts & Letters
offthebroiler.com - Food Blog | My Flickr photo stream

#9 stefanyb

stefanyb
  • legacy participant
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 November 2002 - 09:13 PM

Posted Image

Cordless teakettle? What, does it have a lithium ion rechargeable battery in it or something?

No. It has a base thats plugged in but the kettle comes off the base for pouring after the water boils (and for filling). I wouldn't boil water for tea,coffee and other way. They last for years, much longer than a traditional kettle especially if you tend to walk away from the stove when heating water.

Edited by stefanyb, 23 November 2002 - 09:13 PM.

#10 glenn

glenn
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:23 AM

Thanks for all the great responses. I was leaning towards a stovetop kettle as my counter space is already limited. However, the Russell Hobbs kettle looks pretty nifty. But who sells it? My search only came up with shoplifestyle.com, for the Hobbs products, but they don't appear to have kettles (and I got an extremely helpful response from a phone call, like "if it ain't in the catalogue/online, we don't have it"). And FG, I like the look of the Le Creuset, but that handle looks kinda shakey. How sturdy is it?

#11 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:34 AM

I got mine at Zabar's upstairs, I've seen them at Broadway Panhandler, and I know Williams-Sonoma has offered the product in its catalog. I see three of them on ebay right now too. Krups makes a similar device, with wider availability.

My Le Creuset is close, but not identical, to the one depicted in the image I grabbed from the Web. But I've had no handle problems in approximately eight years.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#12 Sandra Levine

Sandra Levine
  • participating member
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 09:00 AM

I covet this one, sold at the Museum of Modern Art Design Store:

MoMA teakettle

#13 glenn

glenn
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 01:52 PM

I'm sure y'all dying to know what I got. HANDS down, I thought Jinmyo's cast iron kettle was the coolest and fit in best with my kitchen. HOWEVER, I like my kettles turned to the right and I also value my hands :)). That MOMA piece looked cool too, but would be totally out of place in my house which is filled with antiquities. I decided against the Russell Hobbs due to counter space. I loved the Chantal and definitely would've ordered it, except, like I said, I value my hands. Thanks for the other suggestions. The winner was the Le Creuset. Thanks everyone.

#14 mb7o

mb7o
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:21 PM

If you haven't already bought the le creuset, i'll put a mention in again of worldwidehouseware, they have them for $36 for the big 2.2 qt size. But I haven't dared buying anything from them yet, maybe this is a small enough purchase to let us know if they actually ship the goods!

http://www.worldwide...n... 2.2 qt.htm

#15 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:22 PM

Glenn, I believe you should have submitted to a vote of the eGullet membership. I don't appreciate your reckless decisionmaking approach.

#16 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:31 PM

Mine is a Melita cordless kettle. It has a built in water filter as well.
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#17 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 06:40 PM

I have no idea whether this link will work!

http://www.melitta.c...52546&T1=66 286

Edited by Marlene, 24 November 2002 - 06:41 PM.

Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#18 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson
  • legacy participant
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:03 PM

MoMA teakettle

That's a fine looking kettle, Sandy. Who needs a regular spout and lid? Cool.

#19 snowangel

snowangel
  • 8,140 posts

Posted 24 November 2002 - 11:04 PM

I have a great stainless steel teakettle purchased from the Pratunam (phoentic spelling) in Bangkok in 1969. We probably paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 baht for the thing.

Looks fine, works great.
Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

#20 tsquare

tsquare
  • participating member
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 10:37 AM

I bought the "cordless" electric Cusinart after frying two stovetop kettles, despite their whistles! It is clean, fast, and doesn't look too bad. Pretty readily available, though not often marked down. Worth it for peace of mind, if you are prone to crashing on the couch.

#21 glenn

glenn
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:26 PM

Glenn, I believe you should have submitted to a vote of the eGullet membership. I don't appreciate your reckless decisionmaking approach.

I know you contacted cooksworld.com and put the egullet whammy on me. I got an email they're out of stock on the color I ordered, black. So I can indeed redeem myself and maybe get permission to come out from the corner. What color should I get to match my black stove and wood cabinets? And what do y'all say about this place worldwidehouseware.com where as mb70 reports, it's considerably cheaper? Their color choices are a bit more limited -- blue, white, flame, red and yellow. Available elsewhere are black, citrus and jade.

(I May Be Color Blind But) I Know When I'm Blue -- Chet Atkins

#22 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:31 PM

Black.
"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

#23 =Mark

=Mark
  • participating member
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:50 PM

MoMA teakettle

That's a fine looking kettle, Sandy. Who needs a regular spout and lid? Cool.

I guess I just don't get it, looks plug ugly to me...
=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.
Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.
Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

#24 Kim WB

Kim WB
  • participating member
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:56 PM

They have that MOMA Dansk kettle , or something that looks just like it, at the Dansk outlet store in Princeton. I didn't note the price at the itme, but 24.99 is popping up in my head?? It was there last week.

#25 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 05:56 PM

Really. Black.

#26 mb7o

mb7o
  • participating member
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 November 2002 - 10:03 PM

I don't know anything about worldwidehousewares other than the guy responded to my email (unhelpfully, but at least there's a real person there), and they are a paypal merchant with some real but small number of transactions. And they're absurdly inexpensive. Wanna be a guinea pig?

#27 glenn

glenn
  • participating member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 05:56 PM

Jinmyo, go eat your heart out. I ordered flame, though the handle is black, really. I got it at the cheapo place, worldwidehousewares, and I'm not sure if the large kettle comes in black, but in any event they don't have it. The price was too good though to worry about the kettle matching my pants and my bird. mb7o, the $36 price is somewhat mitigated by the $10 or $11 shipping charge, but it's still a helluva deal. I emailed the guy and he seems pretty legit. Anyway, paypal now offers insurance for a few bucks (a ripoff, surely), so theoretically I have nothing to lose.

Another problem I didn't think about earlier with electirc kettles is that you can't let the water simmer, right? I'm in the habit of taking care of my morning duties (showering with my bird if you must know) and turning the flame to medium on the kettle so I can pour the coffee at my leisure. Seems to me I'd have to be more regimented with an electric kettle. I find it incredibly outrageous that the FG didn't forewarn me of this potential dilemma.

#28 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 06:22 PM

Jinmyo, go eat your heart out.  I ordered flame, though the handle is black, really.

Your loss.

#29 cakewalk

cakewalk
  • participating member
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 05:47 AM

The cast iron tea kettle is very pretty. Nice lines. But really -- when that thing is filled with water, how do you lift it? :huh:

Glenn -- I miss your top fives.

#30 Jinmyo

Jinmyo
  • participating member
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 27 November 2002 - 05:55 AM

Towel and hand. It's nothing compared to a stock pot.