Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sfogliatelle

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tiramisu

tiramisu
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

ate this pastry in a deli in cambridge and was in heaven. anyone know the authentic recipe? is it always with ricotta cheese?

#2 McDuff

McDuff
  • participating member
  • 718 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

there was a cake boss episode where they made these. First they made a dough and then ran it through a sheeter several times. When it was thin enough they sheeted it out onto a long worktable and while of them skated shortening over it with his hands, buddy began rolling it up and pulling it into a longer and longer log. then he cut the log into thick disks and basically the drill is to push the center of the pastry out, telescoping the layers. buddy then piped pate a choux into them so they won't collapse when baked. looks like skilled labor to me. i had one from modern pastry in the north end of boston and you could see and taste the pate a choux. neat trick. i tried them at home and it was a no-go. you need a big lump of dough to make a roll with enough diameter. a pasta machine just won't do it.

#3 khilde

khilde
  • participating member
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

There is a recipe for sfogliatelle in Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I haven't gotten around to trying it yet. However, my pastry instructor is the one who told me about it, and he had made this particular recipe several times. It is a lot of work, but I think the end result is worth it!! Good luck!

#4 rickster

rickster
  • participating member
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:09 AM

Also a recipe in a book by Nick Malgieri called Great Italian Desserts. Not sure if it is still in print.

Edited by rickster, 29 April 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#5 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Never made them, but I had the pleasure of eating (many) in Naples, where there are two different kinds: the flaky, crispy kind called riccia (which definitely didn't have pate a choux holding it together) and the frolla kind, which are softer. Riccia pictured here, from Schaturchio:

Attached Images

• sfogliatelle.jpg

• judiu likes this

#6 tiramisu

tiramisu
  • participating member
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

thanks for the reply will give the martha stewart recipe a try

#7 MAL7DC

MAL7DC
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

thanks for the reply will give the martha stewart recipe a try

^^ Just curious how it turned out! I've been having trouble finding a recipe that works! 

#8 HungryC

HungryC
  • participating member
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

The recent issue of Breadlines, the magazine of the Breadbakers Guild of America, had a very detailed recipe accompanying a story on a Guild sponsored Italian holiday pastries class.
  • judiu likes this

#9 annachan

annachan
  • participating member
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

I love this pastry. From what I've gathered, it is very labor intensive, to the point that bakeries would buy the dough instead of making it themselves. I've also never had one with pate a choux holding it together. I think that would ruin that very crispy exterior to creamy interior contrast.

This recipe seems to be portioned to be made with a pasta machine: http://www.sbs.com.a...es/sfogliatelle

Haven't tried it though.