Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Chocolate tempering using grated cocoa butter

Confections Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 keychris

keychris
  • participating member
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just use it as you would normal cocoa butter, as that's what it is. Just in another form :)

#32 Edward J

Edward J
  • participating member
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:50 PM

Ehh, No.

In my last post I said that mycro is cocoa butter, but cocoa butter is NOT mycro.

Mycro is hot cocoa butter sprayed/atomized onto a frozen marble roller and scraped off, in a cold room.  It is pure beta 6 crystals.

Regular cocoa butter may or not be tempered properly.

When I get  a 3 kg pail of cocoa butter I melt the whole thing  and puir into small molds or onto parchment lined pans.  When cold I break it up and keep it back into the pail--makes it much esier to use.  This is no way, shape, or form, a replacement for Mycro, just a lot easier than stabbing a rock of cocoa butter in a plastic pail with a knife trying to get  a 50 gram chunk..   

#33 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Matthew, please don't use mycrio to make a spray, it s worth 3 times the price of traditional cocoa butter. If you don't want to use it as a sweet application use it at home as a replacement to your cooking fat method, seared scallops precoated with mycrio, or any vegetable... Or sift it on tarts to create a thin protection, or in ganaches that are at temperature to slightly harden them.

Edward, the debate about tempered cocoa butter has been big for years. I melt down my pail well more use to now that they have callets. And would table it to 30 ish then smooth it on parchment. Just like my left over chocolate... So I would believe that my cocoa butter would be in temper. Till the last time never had an issue, now my life is slightly easier but a touch more expensive. Just my tought.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Chocolate