Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Beers to Age: A List

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 tim e

tim e
  • participating member
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

Orval ages quite well. I recently had my last bottle from 2007 and it was great.
BROG, a beer blog

#32 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 681 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Yes, it seemed likely that the stronger Trappist ales were bottle conditioned and would do well on the shelf for a few years. I am less sure of some the US made beers and how well they might do.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#33 Vooon

Vooon
  • participating member
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:47 AM

I have currently one beer on storage, a Dark Horizon Third Edition by the Norwegian brewery Nøgne Ø. (If you speak french it is pronounced Neugné Eu). Their first edition was a gold winner at the World Beer Cup in San Diego in 2008, I remember it went for outragous amounts of money on Ebay due to its popularity. I think they say it can be stored for ten years at least.

They also made a Red Horizon and a Sweet Horizon both which I believe can be stored for a long time.

Nøgne Ø is supposed to be big in the US, but I don't know where it's available - but I know that the brewery exports a lot more of their beer than they sell in Norway. Some of their beers never even end up in Norwegian stores due to the demand from abroad. I can understand it as it is an excellent brewery.
Interesting. No, wait, the other thing ... tedious.