Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
564 replies to this topic

#361 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

would there be a way to 'reconstruct' that wasabi dipping sauce?

My suspicion is that it was nothing more complicated than mayo and wasabi paste.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#362 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

well ... that's what it looked like to me. didn't want to lead you on ...

did you enjoy that with the squid? I know one might not like to comment ...

but for me I love crispy fries with mayo maybe a drop of lemon.

thanks!

#363 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:25 PM

well ... that's what it looked like to me. didn't want to lead you on ...

did you enjoy that with the squid? I know one might not like to comment ...

but for me I love crispy fries with mayo maybe a drop of lemon.

thanks!

I like wasabi (as I do horseradish) but not sure that either complements squid as well as other dipping sauces I have had. Diplomatic enough?

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#364 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Yesterday Kerry and I decided it was time to spread our wings a little more than we have been doing lately. Thanks to a colleague of Kerry’s we were alerted to the existence of an Ethiopian restaurant in Hamilton. After some productive thrift store shopping we found our way to WASS.

Our Filipino server :shock: did a fine job of explaining the nature of the Ethiopian dining experience and we ordered the Meat and Vegetable platter:

Inerja with meats and vegetables.jpg

There are two types of lamb stew, one with bones and one boneless, ground beef, chicken and an assortment of vegetable/lentil sides. As is the Ethiopian custom all were served on a "plate" of inerja, the spongy bread is that is also one's cutlery as it were. A second plate of rolled inerja is not shown. The menu and our server both offered detailed instructions in how to break off a piece of inerja and scoop up food from the common platter.

Kerry also ordered a spiced tea:

oval cup.jpg

The photograph does not show it as well as might be hoped but that cup is oval!

I tried to order Ethiopian wine but they were experiencing difficulties in procuring a supply so I had to settle for water.

My 2004 eG Blog

#365 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:03 PM

I went to the thrift store thread looking for a new post from one of y'all, but there was nobody home! Share, please! :wink:
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#366 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I went to the thrift store thread looking for a new post from one of y'all, but there was nobody home! Share, please! :wink:

OK, OK. posting something now! Here you go.

Edited by Anna N, 05 October 2012 - 10:34 AM.

My 2004 eG Blog

#367 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Time to do catch-up again! While my GF and I were having lunch today, she commented that I hadn't been keeping this topic current on our lunches. ;-)

Way back in August, when we were down in Galveston, we decided to give the recently opened Be Quay Vietnamese Sandwich Shop a try. We both ordered the B4 Roasted Pork, but I forgot to take the photo until after we had started eating.

Posted Image

The bread they use is awesome! Light and crisp on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. My GF bought a couple extra loaves to take home!

At the end of August, just before my GF left for her Alaskan cruise, we had lunch at the newly opened Panera Bread in League City, and used one of the coupons we had received in the mail for their two for two special - buy one lunch menu soup, salad, or sandwich combo and get the second one free. I had their Chopped Chicken Cobb with Avocado (sorry, photo was too blurry to post) and their Broccoli Cheddar Soup. I thought I was only going to eat the salad, so ordered the soup to go, but ended up eating it anyway, thus the to-go container.

Posted Image

GF had their Classic Salad, Frontega Chicken on Focaccia, and cut Apple. I again forgot to take the photo until after we had started to eat.

Posted Image

In September, after she got back from her trip to Alaska, we returned to Panera to use our other coupon - same deal. This time I had their Thai Chopped Chicken Salad and French Onion Soup. The meal came with a choice of chips or apple, and I had the chips.

Posted Image

I'll order that salad again! My GF had their Classic Salad with a Roasted Turkey and Avocado BLT on Sourdough, and an Apple.

Posted Image

And now we are up to today, where we returned to Floyd's Cajun Seafood in Webster. My GF had the 1/2 and 1/2 Combo of Fried Shrimp and Oysters with a loaded baked potato. (Sorry, photo was too blurry to post.) And I had one of my favorites, their Crawfish Etouffee with a side salad (not pictured).

Posted Image

Edited by robirdstx, 06 October 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#368 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Took the staff of the office I've been covering in for the last 4 weeks out for lunch at Lemongrass.

DSCN0593.jpg

We enjoyed the mixed appetizer platter.

DSCN0594.jpg

Crispy duck with curry sauce.DSCN0595.jpg

Pan fried noodles with shrimp.

DSCN0596.jpg

Crispy chicken with peanut sauce.

#369 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Wow such stunning lunches. nothing like that around here.

:sad:

#370 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

robirdstx- always great to see you posting and to enjoy at least the photos of your meals - but oh for a taste!

On Wednesday Kerry and I found ourselves in the Finch/Weston Road area of Toronto picking up chocolate for our part in The Luxury Chocolate Show. I asked Siri for restaurants in the area and we headed for Mama Mia.

We ordered the Tacos Supreme:

tacos.jpg

and helped ourselves to the two salsas on offer. One was a mild version and the other hotter with lots of jalapenos:

salsas.jpg

and a selection of empanadas including beef, sausage and original Chilean:

epanadas.jpg

I was fascinated with how they indentified the empanadas.

b is for beef.jpg

B is for beef:

Sa is for sausage:

sa is for sausage.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

#371 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

robirdstx- always great to see you posting and to enjoy at least the photos of your meals - but oh for a taste!

Thank you! This is one of my favorite topics and wish I could have a taste of your meals as well!

#372 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

My GF and I went to lunch at the Flying Dutchman in Kemah yesterday to celebrate her recent birthday. And we totally forgot about taking photos until we were driving away from the restaurant! Maybe we can blame the memory lapse on the drink we had with our appetizer! ;-) Anyway, we shared an order of calamari, then we each had a cup of New England clam chowder. For dessert, my GF had a slice of their chocolate chip pecan pie but I went for an order of french fries.

Edited by robirdstx, 17 October 2012 - 07:29 AM.

#373 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Realize I've got a couple of older lunches I didn't post -

Patris and I went to Mezza on Elmwood Ave in Buffalo last time I was down for the day. I went for the combo appetizer plate with fuul, sembousik and kibbeh. Patty opted for one of the wraps - sadly I can't recall which one it was.

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0538.jpg

Another friend and I had our twice yearly lunch out at the Martini House in Burlington a couple of weeks back. I enjoyed the mussels with white wine and chorizo and she had gnocchi in a mushroom, sundried tomatoe and vodka sauce.

DSCN0579.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

#374 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

best lunches ever are right here!

#375 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:31 AM

My GF and I returned to one of our favorite spots for lunch yesterday - Tookie's in Seabrook. We both remembered to take photos, and even took them before we started to eat!

The usual #99 Burger for my GF:

Posted Image

A T-Bird Salad with Fried Chicken for me:

Posted Image

And we shared an order of Mama Ethel's Onion Rings:

Posted Image

#376 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

WOW! Those onion rings look fabulous.

My 2004 eG Blog

#377 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

WOW! Those onion rings look fabulous.

They really are delicious! It seemed almost every order coming out of the kitchen included a plate of those rings.

#378 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

I am a little behind in posting our lunches!
A week ago Kerry and I dropped into Nonna's

Our plate of foccacia:

bread.jpg

We shared calamari:

SQUID BITS.jpg

and mussels:

mussels1.jpg

pizzA.jpg

and a Margharita pizza:

This past week we returned to Pomelo

Again we shared some squid bits:
DSCN0719.jpg

Kerry ordered the Tom Yum Pho:

PHO.jpg

I opted for the Bangkok Pad Thai:

BANGKOK PAD THAI.jpg

I have concluded after quite a number of versions of Pad Thai that it isn't for me!

Edited to add missing photo.

Edited by Anna N, 10 November 2012 - 08:15 AM.

My 2004 eG Blog

#379 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

I had been visiting family in Arizona and New Mexico for the last week, so after my GF picked me up at the airport, we visited Abe's Cajun Market and Cafe for a late lunch and got caught up.

I had their Catfish a la Abe's:

Posted Image

Grilled catfish over rice, topped with crawfish etouffee, green beans, cornbread, and a side salad.

And my GF had their Seafood Platter:

Posted Image

Fried catfish, shrimp, oysters, crawfish, and stuffed crab over french fries and hush puppies, cornbread, and cole slaw. Neither one of us could believe how huge this platter was! She took home a very full to-go box.

#380 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hi all! This week my GF had a craving for steamed clams, so we returned to Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar in League City for our lunch.

Posted Image

The clams are steamed in a white wine and herb butter broth and come with crusty garlic bread for dipping.

I decided to try the Greek Salad, had it topped with Grilled Chicken, and really enjoyed it.

Posted Image

#381 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Last Tuesday was time for Pho again. I know, I know it’s boring but we tried to inject a bit of variety this time.

For a start we DIDN'T order calamari. Istead we ordered these:

snot balls.jpg

Can't find the name of them but they are very challenging for a couple of Westerners to tackle from a texture point of view. The filling was tasty but the wrap.................... oh boy.

We also both ordered iced Vietnamese coffee and so it was served this way:

coffee service.jpg

Kerry had her usual chicken and beef pho:

DSCN0722.jpg

And I had my usual rare and well-done beef pho:

pho 2.jpg

Our plate of additions:

herbs.jpg

Kerry thought you would love to see the mess we left behind!

mess1.jpg
"
mess2.jpg

Next week I am hoping to re-visit this restaurant (or one of its other branches) and try a "Bun" rather than a pho - a rice noodle bowl. We spotted a diner eating one of these on the way out and Kerry asked about it. It looked awfully good.

My 2004 eG Blog

#382 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

The Lunch Ladies are So Lucky.

but I have concerns that they passed up Salted and Spiced calamari.

this is how things begin ......

N.B. note I did not write 'decline' I chose the looser term 'things'

you can take it from there. :cool:

Edited by rotuts, 16 November 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#383 heidih

heidih
  • 10,710 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Anna - those dumplings look like banh bot loc - made with tapioca flour/starch. I agree the texture is novel to the Western palate but they grow on you. I remember the first time a friend lovingly presented me with a similar dumpling wrapped in a leaf and watched eagerly for my first reaction. I acted well ;) Here is a link to one version http://www.theraveno...-dumplings.html

#384 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:52 PM

Anna - those dumplings look like banh bot loc - made with tapioca flour/starch. I agree the texture is novel to the Western palate but they grow on you. I remember the first time a friend lovingly presented me with a similar dumpling wrapped in a leaf and watched eagerly for my first reaction. I acted well ;) Here is a link to one version http://www.theraveno...-dumplings.html

Sorry I missed this, Heidi. You many be correct but somehow it doesn't seem the same thing. II think this is the name from the menu:

BÁNH CUỖN NÓNG (KHÔNG CHẢ LỤA)

My 2004 eG Blog

#385 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

I definitely have some catching up to do! The week of November 19th, we went in search of the promised Bun.

Grilled pork and shredded pork skin.jpg

Bun with spring roll and grilled pork and shredded pork skin. We were hoping this would be crispy pork skin but no such luck.

Grilled chicken.jpg

Bun with spring roll and grilled chicken.

Whether it was this particular preparation or the dish itself we don’t yet know for sure but we were both hugely disappointed. Before we dismiss this salad that is loved by both Vietnamese and foreigners we need to try a few more renditions.

My 2004 eG Blog

#386 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

On Wednesday we went back to Sakai. We shared as usual.

A new item on the menu were these Mandu:

Mandu.jpg

dipping sauce for mandu.jpg

The dipping sauce was interesting. It tasted of soy and vinegar and was quite red so we guessed perhaps Chinese red vinegar.

The miso soup and salad:

salad and soup.jpg

Shrimp and vegetable tempura:

shrimp and vegetable tempura.jpg

Chicken Karashi - bits of battered chicken with teriyaki sauce and cinnamon:

chicken.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

#387 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Im not quite sure what:

" we went in search of the promised Bun. " means.

what I saw looked delicious. i understand one might not comment on what's on the plate, but ...

what where you looking for and did not find?

#388 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Yesterday Kerry and I drove to Buffalo for some retail therapy (and for diapers for Kerry’s rug rat). We met up with eG member, patris, who had been diligently researching spots for lunch. She chose an Ethiopian restaurant called Lucy. And what a choice it turned out to be.

From the exterior it was less than promising and I admit to a sinking feeling as I crossed the road towards it. Once inside, however, my spirits lifted. We were warmly greeted by the owners, Abba and his wife Naima, and the place was small but clean and interesting.

After reading the menu we decided to throw ourselves on the mercy of the staff and asked to be served a platter that would include both meat and vegetarian options. After some discussion with Naima, we were satisfied that we would have a fair representation of the food on offer. There were two lamb stews, a beef dish, some cottage cheese, some lentil and some vegetable sides. We also asked for three samusas – two meat and one vegetable:

sambusa.jpg

Googling suggests these are a close relative of samosas but the meat one I tried had a crispier exterior and a more densely packed, meatier interior than the samosas I am accustomed to.

The meal was presented in typical Ethiopian fashion and on a large tray lined with injera, the spongy bread of Ethiopia. Neither cutlery nor plates are offered as the bread itself is both “spoon” and “plate”.

Combination platter.jpg

combination platter2.jpg

combination platter 3.jpg

The bread was excellent and we asked for and received another plate of injera.

As we indicated that we had eaten our fill and would like to take the remainders with us, Abba apologized that he did not have dessert but offered a plate of sweet pastry-like leaves and a small pot of honey that his mother obtained especially for him from Ethiopia. It was the most amazing honey we have ever encountered. It was thick, even thicker than peanut butter, with an incredible floral taste. All three of us were deeply touched that he would share such a treasure with three strangers. (But read the comments here! Apparently generosity is very much a character trait of the couple who run Lucy.)

Honey.jpg

We learned Abba is actually from Toronto and his parents and siblings still live in Toronto.

Those of you who follow our annual migration to Manitoulin Island might recall our very unsuccessful attempts at making injera!

We discussed the process with Abba and he was more than happy to share his knowledge. At Kerry’s request he took up into his work space to show us the intricacies of making injera in huge quantities.

He uses a mix of teff and barley flour since teff is difficult to source and very expensive in North America. He showed us his current batch of dough and explained the process of turning it into injera. We touched the dough and it was ice cold despite being kept at room temperature! I must find out why.

His cooking surface is an aluminum electric griddle, with the guts removed, heated over a propane burner!

Such an incredible lunch and now patris is under pressure for the next time Kerry and I head south! How can she possibly top this?

I doubt I have done this experience credit so I hope patris and Kerry will fill in any missing details.

My 2004 eG Blog

#389 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:28 AM

Last week my GF and I finally got together for lunch again. This time, we drove down to Galveston and had our meal at Rudy and Paco Restaurant and Bar.

Posted Image

I had the Gulf snapper tacos, grilled, which came with a cup of tortilla soup.

Posted Image

And my GF had the Crabmeat Pasta, angel-hair pasta tossed with lemon butter caper sauce and Jumbo Lump Crabmeat.

Posted Image

#390 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

I've been working way too much lately. It has certainly interfered with our ability to get out to lunch. So today I finished up a bit early so Anna and I were able to catch a bite and check out some major appliances.

We opted to scoot into Bento Box one of our reliables when we want a quick lunch.

DSCN0785.jpg

Soup and tea.

DSCN0788.jpg

Our first plate of sushi - always wise to mention the crab allergy early in the game!

DSCN0789.jpg

The replacement sushi.

DSCN0791.jpg

A nice little tempura plate to share.

DSCN0794.jpg

A bit of chicken teriyaki each.