Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Ladies Who Lunch (Part 1)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
564 replies to this topic

#331 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

Your lunch looks amazing especially the yakitori. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I was surprised by the vegetables on the skewers but they turned out to be the best part!

And now I have a craving for Indian food!

#332 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

Chocolot, RobertM and I are in Scranton, PA for 4 days of chocolate classes put on by the PMCA and taught in part by Peter Greweling. Today we on our own for lunch and Ruth and I hit a place called Cosmo's Cheesesteaks and Fries.

DSCN5692.jpg

DSCN5693.jpg

Both cheesesteaks with provolone, onions and peppers, also mushrooms on mine.

DSCN5694.jpg

After lunch we hit a couple of places - one that was a surplus place - and saw this rather delightful looking cookbook about kiddie food.

#333 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Mmmm... cheesesteak.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#334 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Yesterday Kerry and I revisited Xin . We tried to re-order the "deep-fried pork burritos" but were told they were not available. We were naturally disappointed but decided to stay and sample other things. First up was this plate of stir-fried vegetables:

STIR FRY VEGETABLES.jpg

Then some pork and chive dumplings:

PORK AND CHIVE DUMPLINGS.jpg

And finally a Beef Roll:

BEEF ROLL.jpg
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#335 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:03 AM

Meant to post this photo too - after all it is food related and was amost next door to the restaurant where we ate:

IMG_0248.jpg

Is the offer to massage a tuna or could we have elected to be massaged by a tuna? Would a translation help?

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#336 IowaDee

IowaDee
  • participating member
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Either way, it sounds fishy to me!

#337 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

Last week my GF and I revisited Little Daddy's Gumbo Bar at their League City location. GF had her favorite,

Posted Image

their Steamed Clams, which comes with

Posted Image

cheesy Garlic Toast. She also had

Posted Image

the Iceberg Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing.

I went with one of my favorites, their

Posted Image

Fried Crawfish Tail Shorty.

Edited by robirdstx, 13 June 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#338 Kouign Aman

Kouign Aman
  • participating member
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:56 AM

Another offering from 'Wich Addiction on miramesa blvd.

Scallop salad. All the components played well together.
2012-06-12 download 007.jpg

Pot roast, roast tomatoes, asparagus on pasta. This is the best meal yet. I saw the size of the serving, swore to save half for the next day, and just couldnt do it. Had to have 'just one more bite' til it was gone.
2012-06-12 download 009.jpg

Edited by Kouign Aman, 13 June 2012 - 08:01 AM.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

#339 CFT

CFT
  • participating member
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Meant to post this photo too - after all it is food related and was amost next door to the restaurant where we ate:

IMG_0248.jpg

Is the offer to massage a tuna or could we have elected to be massaged by a tuna? Would a translation help?

It is a mis-spelling. The common transliteration is 'tuina', a form of Chinese massage. 'Tui' means push, 'na' means grasp.

Edited by CFT, 13 June 2012 - 08:49 AM.

Best Wishes,
Chee Fai.

#340 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:22 AM

IMG_0248.jpg

It is a mis-spelling. The common transliteration is 'tuina', a form of Chinese massage. 'Tui' means push, 'na' means grasp.

WHEW! Thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

#341 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,584 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'd heard of a hot stone massage and once in Montreal a friend had a massage that involved whapping her with leafy branches - just picturing getting whapped with a large fish! Couldn't stop snickering.

#342 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

Yesterday Kerry and I headed out towards Newmarket to pick up a replacement part for her sous-vide set up. I wanted to find some Thai ingredients as I am cooking from Hot, Sour, Salty Sweet.
Since our destination was not too far from Toronto’s second China town, Pacific Mall, we decided to eat lunch in the area. Seoul Garden offered all you can eat Korean BBQ and it called out to both of us.

First we were amused by this on the menu:

Gratitude.jpg

We were each presented with a small bowl of congee. Not something I would ever have chosen to try but this was quite tasty:

Congee.jpg

We ordered an appetizer of squid (of course!):

Squid.jpg

dipping sauce for squid.jpg

We have never seen such a large offering of banchan:

Banchan1.jpg

Banchan2.jpg

Banchan3.jpg

Banchan4.jpg

This was our cookng surface and the paper stayed on to prevent sticking of some ingredients throughout lunch. After we both sampled the fish and decided it was not to our taste, we should have ditched the paper as it became an annoyance:

Cooking surface.jpg

Platters of food to BBQ:
Fish and vegetables.jpg

Meats and vegetables for BBQ.jpg

Lunch underway:

Lunch underway.jpg

Had we wished, the platters of meat, fish and vegetables would have been replenished but despite our best efforts we could not even finish the first serving. Both of us could have made a very satisfying lunch just on the banchan.

My 2004 eG Blog

#343 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have a couple of lunches to report.

Last week, we went to Monterey's Little Mexico location in Dickinson for Tex-Mex. My GF had had a to-go meal from them the week previous (and enjoyed it) and since I had been curious about them but had never been, that's where we went.

The meal started with the usual

Posted Image

Corn Tortilla Chips and Table Salsas.

Last week my GF had sampled their Stuffed Avocado, which turned out to be large chunks of avocado on shredded lettuce and topped with grilled shrimp, fish, and mixed vegetables covered with chile con queso. She had opted to have the queso on the side and I followed her example.

Posted Image

I know it does not look like much (especially since the photo is so blurry) but it was delicious and I cleaned my plate. The queso was great with some of the chips.

My GF had the

Posted Image

Beef Fajitas with Bell Peppers and Onions, which came with

Posted Image

Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, Rice, Refried Beans and warm Flour Tortillas; she also had shredded cheese and sour cream.

Earlier this week, we were in Houston and ended up at La Madeleine for a late lunch. My GF had their

Posted Image

French Dip with Tomato Basil Pesto Pasta Salade and French Vanilla with Berries Mini Parfait, and I had their

Posted Image

Salade Sampler with Spinach Salade, Chicken Salade, and a cup of Tomato Basil Soupe.

#344 Kim Shook

Kim Shook
  • participating member
  • 2,960 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

robirdstx – I wanna have lunch with YOU! Between those beautiful tiny little clams and that crawfish sandwich , I’m sitting here drooling!

Anna – you and Kerry find the most amazingly places to lunch. Your area of the world is MUCH more interesting than mine!

For Mother’s day, I had promised my mother to take her to Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens and to Feathernester’s (a local restaurant/tea room/antique-home furnishings store) for afternoon tea. We finally did it on Tuesday. Feathernester’s is an adorable place. I could move in! The food was pretty uneven, but fun and not terribly expensive:
Posted Image
P1110170 by ozisforme, on Flickr

Posted Image
P1110172 by ozisforme, on Flickr
From 12 o’clock: cheesecake bites, chocolate eclairs (frozen and not completely thawed), cucumber and herbed cream cheese on cocktail rye, herb biscuits with chicken salad (VERY good), pimento cheese on marble rye and cream puffs (also frozen).

Posted Image
P1110171 by ozisforme, on Flickr
Spice cakes with lemon curd, strawberries and chocolate chip shortbread – all very good.

#345 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:44 AM

Anna – you and Kerry find the most amazingly places to lunch. Your area of the world is MUCH more interesting than mine

FYI: I live not all that far from Anna and Kerry...less than 100 miles...but it might as well be on the moon. Calipoutine can attest to this as she used to live even nearer to them than I do. Interior Ontario is a gustatory wasteland. :raz:
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#346 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

Kim - lunch together would be a blast!

#347 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

It's great to see others sharing their Ladies Who Lunch experiences!

Yesterday Kerry and I took care of a few errands before finding a place for lunch in Stoney Creek: Miss Thailand

Kerrry ordered ginger tea:

ginger tea.jpg

And I ordered a Thai iced coffee:

Thai iced coffee.jpg

We shared the appetizer platter for two:

appetizer1.jpg

appetizer2.jpg

And Beef Penang curry with Jasmine rice:

Penang Beef Curry.jpg

We couldn’t resist posting this example of Thai décor taken to the nth degree:

Toilet roll.jpg

And I really coveted this tea light holder:

Tea light holder.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

#348 bigtealady

bigtealady
  • participating member
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

My friends and I usually dine in at restaurants which serve mostly vegetable salads. I remember eating the best kale salad (rich in vitamin K) last weekend.

#349 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

(snippity, snip.....)

We couldn’t resist posting this example of Thai décor taken to the nth degree:

Toilet roll.jpg

And I really coveted this tea light holder:

Tea light holder.jpg

I really covet ALL the stuff. The candle holder, the toilet paper holder, and those lovely, lovely, absolutely stunning dishes and tea service. That pattern is so gorgeous ! But then I'm a stone fool for that cobalt blue.
--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#350 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I've got some catching up to do!

In July, my GF and I visited the Pei Wei Asian Diner in Webster. She had the

Posted Image

Mongolian Shrimp with Fried Rice, and

Posted Image

an Egg Roll. I started with Hot and Sour Soup,

Posted Image

and didn't remember to take the photo until I was half-way through the bowl.

Posted Image

For my main, I had the Mongolian Beef and, like my GF, the Fried Rice.

Posted Image

Today my GF and I dined at the Monument Inn, in LaPorte, which sits along the Houston ship channel. Here's the view from our indoor table. Way too hot to sit outside!

Posted Image

Both of our meals included their homemade dinner and cinnamon rolls. GF had one of the cinnamon rolls as her appetizer! VBG!

Posted Image

Each of our meals also included a small house salad, not pictured. GF had the Fried Seafood Combination Platter

Posted Image

(Oysters, Shrimp, and Stuffed Crab) with a fully loaded Baked Potato. She had so much leftover she took home two to-go boxes that will serve as two additional meals.

I had their Grilled Redfish and a Vegetable Medley. No leftovers for me!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#351 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

When Kerry returned from 5 weeks on Manitoulin we both knew that only one lunch would fit the bill for both of us:

Squid bits:

Calamari.jpg

and Pho! :raz:

Chicken and beef for Kerry:

chicken and beef php0.jpg

and rare beef for me:

beef pho.jpg

Then yesterday we needed to get supplies for the upcoming Eggfest in Niagara in the Asian area of Mississauga so we returned to a restaurant where we have had some excellent meals in the past. The menu is so challenging that whatever arrives at the table bears little resemblance to what we expected!

I believe the English menu explanation for the following dish was "sliced pork burritos!

Pork bits.jpg

This one was relatively easy cashew chicken:

Cashew chicken.jpg

Despite this being a Chinese restaurant I seem to remember these being called shashlik - anyway they were extremely spicy lamb skewers:

Shashlik.jpg

Self-explanatory scallion pancakes:

scallion pancakes.jpg

and finally, pork dumplings:

Pork dumplings.jpg

Far too much food - much of it went home with us!

My 2004 eG Blog

#352 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

We returned to one of our favourite lunch places yesterday, Panafresco, only to be terribly disappointed to find that their menu had changed and our favourites were missing. We did our best to go with the flow but……….

Kerry ordered the Burrata salad:

Kerry Salad.jpg

And I reluctantly settled for a pizza Margherita instead of the incredible funghi pizza I was anticipating:

pizza.jpg

Enough said.

My 2004 eG Blog

#353 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

Yesterday we returned to Lemongrass and despite some serious issues with our server who seemed intent on rushing us through our menu choices, we had some memorable food:

Thai crispy spring rolls with a sweet and sour dipping sauce:

spring rolls.jpg

Kerry's Crispy Chicken Breast with Peanut Sauce:

crispy chicken.jpg

And my Nasi Goreng:

nasi goreng.jpg

We each tried a little of the other's meal and we couldn't stop talking about how incredibly good it tasted.

My 2004 eG Blog

#354 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

Yesterday Kerry and I had business in Niagara Wine Country so we took advantage and returned for a long-anticipated visit to Ravine Winery Restaurant.

The on-line menu does not appear to be up to date but here's what we ate:

A few slices of baguette with some salted butter:
Baguette with salted butter.jpg

And here's a close up of the amount of salt on that butter!
close up of butter.jpg

The staff were extremely accommodating when we asked to share everything bringing two half orders of soup and providing extra dishes for the other food.

Cream of corn soup with lemon creme fraiche and a corn muffin stuffed with jalapeno peppers:
Corn soup.jpg

Shame that the soup didn't come with a marker as the rim would have accommodated a novel!

We shared an order of mussels in a fennel broth which came with frites:

Mussels with fennel.jpg

And the charcuterie platter (all cured and smoked on-site):

charcuterie platter.jpg

This included smoked duck, pickled veal tongue, chicken pate, smoked pork, pastrami and some pickles.

My 2004 eG Blog

#355 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Wow! that charcuterie platter looks like it was worth the trip!

#356 Anna N

Anna N
  • 6,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

I seem to have forgotten to post our lunch from a week ago Wednesday. We ate at a restaurant called Ben Thanh in Mississauga, Ontario. We decided to order just a selection of appetizers.

I had a Vietnamese iced coffee. If you look carefully you will spot a thermos. This is the first time I have seen it served with additional hot water but it is a great idea!

Vietnamese iced coffee.jpg

Calamari with wasabi dipping sauce:

Calamari with wasabi.jpg

Crispy Vietnamese spring rolls:

Crispy Vietnamese spring rolls.jpg

BBQ Beef rolls with avocado:

BBQ Beef Rolls with avocado.jpg

Crispy cyclone rolls:

Crispy Cyclone Rolls.jpg

(Imagine shrimp wrapped in Shredded Wheat! A very, very messy dish to eat.)

Today was the first opportunity we had to get together as Kerry has been working all day every day. We went for haircuts in Burlington and popped into Bento Box on Fairview in Burlington for a quick bite as we wanted to cram some thrift store shopping into the few hours we had! (I have a new passion – cheese making – so we have lots of things to source!)

Miso soup and the ubiquitous salad. The soup belonged to the Donburi and the salad to the Tempura but we swapped. I wasn't in the mood for soup.

soup and salad1.jpg

The lunch tempura:

tempura lunch.jpg

The chicken donburi:

chicken donburi.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

#357 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Those Crispy Cyclone Rolls look amazing. I googled for a recipe and found nothing. Any ideas?
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#358 hongda

hongda
  • participating member
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

Might be something similar to this, with finer noodles and shrimp rather than shrimp paste?

http://www.vietworld...lls-recipe.html

#359 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

Might be something similar to this, with finer noodles and shrimp rather than shrimp paste?
http://www.vietworld...lls-recipe.html

Thank you honda. The recipe looks useful. We don't eat shellfish, but I guess they could be made with some other tasty filling.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#360 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

would there be a way to 'reconstruct' that wasabi dipping sauce?