Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Best cocktails of the decade

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Shalmanese

Shalmanese
  • participating member
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

What were some of the best cocktails invented in the last decade?
PS: I am a guy.

#2 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

My top two nominations are the Red Hook and the Gin Gin Mule. Probably not deserving of top cocktails of the decade but other recent favorites of mine: The Seersucker, Marguerita, Earl Grey MarTEAni, Campari Alexander.

#3 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

The New York Times seems to think:

Gin-Gin Mule
Benton’s Old-Fashioned
Oaxaca Old-Fashioned
Red Hook
St-Germain
Absinthe Drip
Bartender’s Choice

ETA: Just finished reading the article and find it funny that they harped on the marketing angle of the St. Germain cocktail while ignoring the same with regard to the Moscow Mule.

I would add Sam Ross's Paper Plane (as composed with Campari, not Aperol-this may be a Toby Maloney change, or may be Sam's original recipe, I'm unsure) to the list, one of my all-time favorites.

Edited by KD1191, 30 December 2009 - 12:33 PM.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#4 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

The New York Times seems to think:

Gin-Gin Mule
Benton’s Old-Fashioned
Oaxaca Old-Fashioned
Red Hook
St-Germain
Absinthe Drip
Bartender’s Choice

I admit I haven't tried a Benton's Old Fashioned, but I think at the very least fat-washing deserves mention as a significant invention.

#5 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

ETA: Just finished reading the article and find it funny that they harped on the marketing angle of the St. Germain cocktail while ignoring the same with regard to the Moscow Mule.

Not to mention they give the Anejo Highball as a Tequila drink.
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

As an objective matter, you'd have to say that the Gin Gin Mule is probably the most significant (and we all want to honor Audrey).

My personal favorites of the decade are the Oaxaca Old Fashioned and Eben Freeman's Waylon.

And of course Don's Benton's Old Fashioned was a mind blower (and we all want to honor Don).

#7 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:55 PM

Toby's Juliet & Romeo certainly deserves a spot on the list.
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

#8 evo-lution

evo-lution
  • participating member
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

As an objective matter, you'd have to say that the Gin Gin Mule is probably the most significant (and we all want to honor Audrey).

I have to ask, curiousity killed the cat, why this drink over others would be the most significant?
Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:44 PM

Because it was, to my knowledge, the first -- and it is still one of the very few (if not the only one) -- of the "new" cocktails that really took off at a broad range of bars other than those at which its creator worked.

Edited by Sneakeater, 30 December 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#10 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

My top two nominations are the Red Hook and the Gin Gin Mule. Probably not deserving of top cocktails of the decade but other recent favorites of mine: The Seersucker, Marguerita, Earl Grey MarTEAni, Campari Alexander.

I'm a fan of the Earl Grey Marteani. It is really quite special.

Is this the Seersucker?

#11 Andres

Andres
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

I don't drink many cocktails, I mostly just stick to Vodka Tonics, but that Gin Gin Mule sounds delicious. I might have to pick up the ingredients before I head over to the family New Years party tonight.

Lover of cooking, grilling and eating | New Jersey Medical Malpractice

#12 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,453 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

I don't drink many cocktails, I mostly just stick to Vodka Tonics, but that Gin Gin Mule sounds delicious. I might have to pick up the ingredients before I head over to the family New Years party tonight.

Please start. Happy New Year!
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#13 bmdaniel

bmdaniel
  • participating member
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Is this the Seersucker?

Kent,

Yep, that's it. I am probably overrating it, but I think it's the best modern tiki drink invention I have tried, it's one of the few drinks I know that can really showcase a good strawberry, and it's one of my wife's favorite drinks (which makes it at least personally significant).

#14 David Santucci

David Santucci
  • participating member
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

Three cocktails that I would mention are the Final Ward, the Trinidad Sour and the French Pearl. I'm sure I'll think of more...

#15 Kohai

Kohai
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

Was Audrey Saunders's Dreamy Dorini instrumental in propagating the Scotch-rinsed martini? That's an idea that seems to be darn near universally-known these days. Was anyone drinking this before Audrey came up with it?
Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

#16 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hands down, no question, without peer: Audrey's French Pearl. One sip of that drink has transformed more people into understanding and appreciating quality cocktails than any other drink I know. It blows people away -- and then you tell them what's in it, and they flip out again.

It's more recent and far less heralded, but I think that Jeff Morgenthaler's Norwegian Wood belongs on a top 10 list, too.
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#17 vice

vice
  • 901 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:19 PM

It's more recent and far less heralded, but I think that Jeff Morgenthaler's Norwegian Wood belongs on a top 10 list, too.

Yes! I've said as much before, but I think this drink deserves a slot in the canon along the martini and manhattan.
Dave Viola, aka vice
Host, eG Forums
dviola@eGstaff.org

#18 Troy Sidle

Troy Sidle
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:15 PM

Cynar Flip - Corey Bunnewith, Drink
Art of Choke - Kyle Davison, The Violet Hour
Rangoon Fizz - Toby Maloney, The Violet Hour, Patterson House
2 to 2 - Stephen Cole, The Violet Hour
Oaxacan Old Fashioned - Phil Ward, Mayahuel
Pulque - Kirk Estopinal, The Violet Hour, Cure, Beta Cocktails (formerly Rogue Cocktails)
Dogwood Manhattan - Michael Rubel, The Violet Hour, Big Star
Six Corner Sling - Ira Koplowitz, The Violet Hour, Bitter Cube
Juliet and Romeo - Toby Maloney, The Violet Hour, Patterson House
Kumquat Sazerac - Grant Achatz and Craig Schoettler, Alinea

#19 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Is there a practical way to replicate the Waylon at home without benefit of having a fountain? If I could find coke syrup, I could just smoke it and combine a little with the bourbon then shoot it with soda. Finding the coke syrup seems to be the hard part though. What would happen if you cold smoked the bourbon and just added regular coke? Would that bring something nasty to the equation?
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#20 Troy Sidle

Troy Sidle
  • participating member
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

On my earlier post I mentioned the 2 to 2 by Stephen Cole. That drink is cool and fascinating, but I meant the Broken Shoe Shiner:

Aperol
Benedictine
Pernod Absinthe
lemon juice
fresh pineapple juice
egg white

served in a coup. Garnished with a few drops of Rose Water.

Mind Boggling. Delicious.

#21 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:55 AM

A lot of nice drinks in this thread which I stumbled upon (hic!) while researching the Oaxaca Old-Fashioned I was drinking last night.

Troy Sidle's list a few posts upthread looks amazing but I am having issues finding recipes for some of them.

A bunch of them are covered in Rogue/Beta cocktails: Cynar Flip, Art of Choke, Broken Shoe Shiner, Juliet and Romeo.

I can't find a recipe for Toby Maloney's Rangoon Fizz other than it contains gin, ginger, lime, mint and tonic. It looks like a close relative of Audrey Saunders' Gin Gin Mule.

Pulque by Phil Ward - is there an actual cocktail by that name or is that just a reference to fermented agave?

Ira Koplowitz's Six Corner Sling sounds like a winner with Old Overholdt Rye, Lemon, Punte Mes, Grapefruit Bitters but what are the ratios?

I am sure that I can approximate these drinks based on the ingredient list and general common sense, but if there is an "official" recipe out there, I would love to know. Thanks!

#22 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 915 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

I can't find a recipe for Toby Maloney's Rangoon Fizz other than it contains gin, ginger, lime, mint and tonic. It looks like a close relative of Audrey Saunders' Gin Gin Mule.

Pulque by Phil Ward - is there an actual cocktail by that name or is that just a reference to fermented agave?

Ira Koplowitz's Six Corner Sling sounds like a winner with Old Overholdt Rye, Lemon, Punte Mes, Grapefruit Bitters but what are the ratios?

I am sure that I can approximate these drinks based on the ingredient list and general common sense, but if there is an "official" recipe out there, I would love to know. Thanks!

I would assume that Troy was referring to a cocktail created by Kirk that's called Pulque. There was a drink of that name on the menu at The Violet Hour in 2008, which would have been around the time Kirk was there (or, shortly after he left). It was made with Tequila, Agave Nectar, and Blood Orange & Chocolate Bitters. In what proportions, I know not.

Ira's Six Corner Sling is as follows (from the horse's mouth, just now):

1.5 oz                Old Overholdt Rye
.75 oz                Punt e Mes
.75  oz                Fresh Lemon Juice
.75  oz                Simple Syrup
1 dash                Angostura Bitters
1 dash                Bittercube Orange Bitters

Pour 1/8 oz Green Chartreuse over an ice shard in a Collins glass. Shake the above with ice and strain into the prepared glass. Top with a small amount of soda water and garnish with a large swath of orange peel.

And, Toby's Rangoon Fizz is (per this post by Toby at LTHForum):

2 oz Tanqueray
.75 oz Ginger Syrup
1 oz Lime Juice
9 drops Angostura Bitters
5 sprigs Mint

Top: Q Tonic

Glass: Collins
Ice: Shard
Garnish: Mint Sprigs

Shake. Strain into Collins glass.

Ginger syrup is one part ginger juice (a health food store should be able to provide it, it's pretty pricey though) to two parts sugar.

The Q tonic is key as it is MUCH less sweet that normal tonic. Fever tree works as well.

Edited by KD1191, 07 May 2013 - 01:40 PM.

DeVoto, The Hour

#23 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

KD1191 - you are amazing. Thanks a lot!

#24 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 462 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:52 AM

Not the best, but there is a lot to be said of all the Hendricks, St Germain, Mint and Cucumber drinks that popped up over the last few years.

Great gateway cocktails for the uninitiated and certainly tasty.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#25 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

Can't believe it's been nearly four years and no one has mentioned the Penicillin. :)

• turkoftheplains likes this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#26 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

Difford's Guide just released a list of 30 of the best cocktails invented since 2000, featuring several of the ones mentioned so far in this thread, and a few no one's mentioned. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#27 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

Here is the list. I've added a few links for recipes in addition to the ones that were already provided.

1 Art of Choke by Kyle Davidson, The Violet Hour, Chicago.

2 Benton's Old Fashioned (2008) by Don Lee at PDT.

3 Bloomsbury Fizz by Giuseppe Santamaria

4 Chartreuse Swizzle by Marco Dionysos at Tres Agaves, San Francisco.

5 Christmas Pudding Martini by Josh Powell for Brewhouse, Cardiff.

6 Death Flip by Chris Hysted at Melbourne's Black Pearl.

7 Dopo Cena by Adrian Gomes, 10 Dollar Shake, Aberdeen, Scotland.

8 Earl Grey Mar-TEA-ni (2000) by Audrey Saunders at Bemelmans Bar at the Carlyle, New York City.

9 French Maid -Jim Meehan from PDT, New York.

10 Garden, Grain & Grape Mal Spence, Blythswood Square Hotel.

11 Irish Mermaid by Max La Rocca at Ohla Boutique Bar-Barcelona.

12 Gin Gin Mule (2004) by Audrey Saunders, New York City, USA.

13 Gingerbread Man (2006) by Simon Gilbert in 1812 bar, Bournemouth.

14 Green Park by Erik Lorincz at American Bar, The Savoy, London.

15 Green Basil Smash (2008) by Joerg Meyer, Le Lion, Bar de Paris

16 Gunshop Fizz by Kirk Estopinal and Maksym Pazuniak from Cure, New Orleans.

17 Kiss the Skye by Esther Medina Cuesta, Roux at Parliament Square, London.

18 Maid in Cuba by Tom Walker for Bacardi Legacy Competition, 2013.

19 Malecon by Erik Lorincz, from American Bar, The Savoy, London

20 Mulata Daisy (2008) by Ago Perrone at The Connaught, London, England. This drink won the 2009 Bacardi Legacy Final.

21 Nuclear Daiquiri (2005) by Gregor de Gruyther at LAB bar, London, England.

22 Oaxaca Old Fashioned (2007) by Philip Ward at Death & Co., New York City, USA

23 Penicillin (2005) by Sam Ross at Milk & Honey, New York City, USA.

24 Perfect Host by Nelson Bernardes from Good Godfrey's Bar at The Waldorf Hilton Hotel.

25 Pop It by Lukas Motejzik for Bacardi Legacy 2012

26 Rapscallion by Adeline Shepard & Craig Harper, Ruby, Copenhagen.

27 Shaky Pete's Ginger brew by Pete Jeary (aka Shaky Pete), head bartender at the Hawksmoor Seven Dials.

28 Spiced Symphony

29 Trinidad Sour by Giuseppe Gonzalez

30 Two-One-Two (212) (2008) by Willy Shine at Contemporary Cocktails Inc. in New York City.

• Rafa and Plantes Vertes like this

#28 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thank you FrogPrincesse. Some interesting choices. I'm a fan of the refreshing, flavorful 212, but I'm not sure I would have otherwise considered it for a list like this one. I wonder what the Spiced Symphony is...

ETA: Bacardi contests seem to be a big deal in Europe. I may be Puerto Rican, but I find it hard to believe that so many of the decade's best cocktails contain some amount of Bacardi rum. 

Edited by Rafa, 17 July 2013 - 11:07 AM.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

#29 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

Thank you FrogPrincesse. Some interesting choices. I'm a fan of the refreshing, flavorful 212, but I'm not sure I would have otherwise considered it for a list like this one. I wonder what the Spiced Symphony is...

No idea about the Spiced Symphony, and I don't feel too sad not having found the recipe for the Christmas Pudding Martini. I am only familiar with about a third of the list. I realize that I am much more familiar with the latest American creations than what is going on in Europe.

#30 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

No idea about the Spiced Symphony, and I don't feel too sad not having found the recipe for the Christmas Pudding Martini. I am only familiar with about a third of the list. I realize that I am much more familiar with the latest American creations than what is going on in Europe.

Me too. And with due respect to the many excellent European bartenders making inventive and delicious drinks (including the ones who post in this forum), I find myself more drawn to the American entries in this list. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com