Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Dry Pot

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,659 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:33 AM

I had dry pot (Gan Guo) for the first time the other night at a local restaurant in Suzhou, and really enjoyed it. They had several kinds available - frog, pork, chicken, and fish. I've never seen a recipe for in in any of my books, and was wondering if anyone had any experience making it? I couldn't work out how it was made.

#2 djyee100

djyee100
  • society donor
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

I don't have any suggestions for gan guo, don't think I've ever tried it. I did a search on the web for more info because I wasn't sure what the dish was. It sounds like a combination of meat and veg that are cooked in a wok full of oil. What puzzles you about the cooking method?

I once cooked an Indian recipe that reminds me of gan guo. Chicken pieces in a marinade of ginger, garlic, chiles and shallots were cooked in a cupful of hot oil in the wok. It wasn't deep-frying, it wasn't shallow-frying. It was more like the meat and marinade were being braised in very hot oil.

I also came across this link, to my linguistic edification:
TMI?

#3 NancyH

NancyH
  • participating member
  • 889 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

DJYee - the blog post you linked to is tooo funny!
"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" (coined while playing with my food at Lolita).

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

#4 liuzhou

liuzhou
  • participating member
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

You can see a couple of rather excitable Chinese women making a Sichuan version of Gan Guo Ji (Chicken) here. It's in Chinese but you can probably work out what they are doing.

There are several recipes on the interweb, but in Chinese.

#5 Ader1

Ader1
  • participating member
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:53 AM

Gan Guo is one of my favourite Chinese dishes. I ate it in Sichuan. I never did eat a Tofu in Dry Pot. My favourite was a beef and shrimp dry pot. Don't seem to be many recipes of the net but here's one using tofu:

http://allrecipes.co...x?postid=208292

Anybody else have a recipe?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese