Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Thai/Vietnamese/Malaysian curry powder recipe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cinnamonshops

• participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this as been covered elsewhere... I couldn't seem to find anything, though.

Just wondering if anyone has any recipes for thai, vietnamese, or malaysian curry powder. One of the three is called for in a recipe I wanted to try (belatedly -- http://www.nytimes.c...ng/071lrex.html), but I'm not having any luck finding recipes for the powder itself. I'd just as soon make it myself, rather than buying pre-made.

I have to admit I don't know much about curry powders in any of these cuisines (more familiar with Thai curry paste, but still relatively superficially), so any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 djyee100

• society donor
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:56 PM

That link to the NYT recipe doesn't work. A few more details about what you want to cook might be helpful here.

A recipe for a curry powder in a Muslim beef dish, in David Thompson's Thai Food, available on Googlebooks (page 241):
http://books.google.... powder&f=false

The only other Thai curry powder I know of is a particular curry powder used in Northeastern Thai cuisine, in the Chiang Mai region, for a pork curry called Hung Lay or Hang Lae curry. A recipe for that curry powder here (I haven't tried the recipe myself).

Edited by djyee100, 06 November 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#3 cinnamonshops

• participating member
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:17 PM

Oh, I'm sorry! Not sure why it doesn't work. In any case, the recipe is for Curry Mee, which I take it is a variant of Lhaksa (sp?). So, a curried noodle soup with coconut milk and chicken.

I'll check out your links in the meantime. Thanks for the help!

#4 prasantrin

• legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

Here's the recipe. Your link didn't work because it had a few extra characters after the .html.

The curry powder is most likely a yellow curry powder--like madras curry powder or similar. It's similar to yellow curry paste without the wet ingredients. My dad usedd it for certain southern-influenced dishes. Here's an example of a recipe of madras curry powder. If you do a search for "Thai yellow curry powder" or "Malaysian yellow curry powder" you might find a recipe specific to those regions, but madras or similar would do fine.