Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Sous Vide Supreme and other home options: 2009-10

Modernist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
214 replies to this topic

#211 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:10 AM

I just received my optional bag rack today. It fits into the Demi just fine, but if you put it on it's side so you can put bags on top of each other you could only fit 2 bags, maybe 3 if it's something thin, the 4th shelf would be above the water line.

No issue for me, I'm not sure why I'd want to have bags in there flat, seems vertical offers better circulation, but if that's something important to you now you know :)

I still think it should be part of the package, I can't imagine that thing costs much to have made, but it's also not absolutely necessary for family size amounts. I had my pork chops standing in the grill the Demi comes with. They stand on the bottom piece with the holes, but don't cover all that many and heat convection seemed to work just fine. Still a nice addition.
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#212 therippa

therippa
  • participating member
  • 219 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

As for the rest, that's how I've done it, s&p and a quick 60 sec sear in a very hot cast iron pan. Turned out fantastic. Maybe dab it a bit dry to allow for better/quicker sear.

I took Dave Arnold's advice over at Cooking Issues and have been pre-searing my beef, bagging with butter, and searing again afterward. There is a significant difference to me in the color the meat gets when searing twice...if I wanted it that color post-sous vide without the pre-sear I'd have to leave it on the skillet long enough that the gray band would appear around the meat, defeating the purpose of sv'ing it in the first place.

#213 OliverB

OliverB
  • participating member
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

I'll have to try that pre-sear idea, not so much for color, but I'm wondering what it does to the taste, having those nice brown bits slowly melting in the bag.
I did not get a gray band, I put mine into a very smoking hot cast iron skillet for about 60 sec each side. Got a wonderful golden brown and crunchy(!) sear with no heat travel to the inside. Meat was cooled down a bit after SV.
Got two Angus steaks going in in minutes, not enough time to play with pre-sear today.
"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"
- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

#214 jaecaza

jaecaza
  • participating member
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2010 - 10:52 AM

I purchased the Sous Vide Supreme directly from the manufacturer. Their customer service couldn't be better! I noticed a puddle underneath mine while doing a 52 hour short rib cook, emailed customer service and they shipped a new one to me the next day. I just cooked some scrambled eggs with boursin cheese (delicious!) and realized that my first machine probably had an inaccurate thermostat. The new one gets much warmer. I had thought that my ribs cooked at 133 in the first one were a bit rare. I didn't check the first one with a thermometer; next time I use the new one, I probably will.

I also saw that Costco.com has a demi package now (online only). $350 with the Sous Vide vacuum sealer, extra bags and Doug's book, including shipping and handling.

I am going to try Michael Ruhlman's Sous Vide Pastrami next....

#215 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

We've closed this topic for the new year. For discussions about SV equipment and cooking, please visit The Sous Vide: Recipes, Technique, Equipment 2011 topic. Thanks!
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist