Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica Rum

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

You got a name for that, Sam?

ETA: And Dave (or Dave), what's the recipe for Two Indies?

Edited by Chris Amirault, 11 May 2010 - 05:42 AM.

Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#32 JAZ

JAZ
  • manager
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

It's actually "Both Indies" -- from Wondrich's Killer Cocktails:

2 oz. Inner Circle Green (the 115-proof)
.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz. Velvet Falernum
.25 oz. Grand Marnier
Two drops Angostura bitters floated on top

The problem, of course, is that Inner Circle isn't distributed anymore. Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

#33 slkinsey

slkinsey
  • 11,109 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:45 AM

You got a name for that, Sam?

No name as yet. Interestingly (to me anyway) a number of the drinks I've come up with that I've liked enough to be proud of, continue making and which seem distinctive are 50/50 combinations. For example, I do one called the "Tango Sardo" which is a 50/50 cocktail compounded of Laird's bonded and Mirto di Sardegna.
Samuel Lloyd Kinsey

#34 thirtyoneknots

thirtyoneknots
  • participating member
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:08 AM

Agreed, I've also been enjoying a lot of 50/50 experiments lately
Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

#35 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:56 AM

... a sort of mustiness (aka dust balls) and something acrid (aka sweat socks)... it's funky, but to me not in a good way

... Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

Did a pair of polite Smith & Cross guys in black suits and white shirts knock on your door within the last 5 days? :)
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#36 Chris Amirault

Chris Amirault
  • 19,626 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Agreed that the Bonal/S&C 50/50 is a great drink. Served it to a few bartending friends last night and it was a hit. Just needs a moniker...
Chris Amirault
camirault@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics Signatory
Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

#37 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Tried the Bonal/S&C 50/50 and thought it was a tad sweet with that amount of Bonal. I added 1/2 of Lime and liked it. I also tried it with Batavia Arrack van Oosten / Bonal, and added 1/2 oz of lemon and like it a lot.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#38 Mike S.

Mike S.
  • participating member
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

Recently picked up a bottle of the Bonal just to try this unnamed 50/50 mix with S&C (one of my all-time favorite rums). Too late tonight, but soon. Any movement on an actual name?
Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
- Bogart

#39 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:04 PM

Making a punch this weekend for the annual Chaine des Rotisseurs picnic.

Rotisseurs Ruination

2 parts Smith & Cross rum
2 parts Orange-Passionfruit juice
1 part Dolin Rouge Vermouth
1 part lime juice
.5 part Batavia Arrack
.5 part simple syrup (to taste, more or less)
2 parts Sparkling wine
1 part Club Soda

Those of you with a sharp eye will see the structure of Mother's Ruin Punch with substitutions of rum for gin, Orange-Passionfruit juice for grapefruit, lime juice for lemon juice, Dolin Rouge and Batavia Arrack for Chai tea infused Martini & Rossi, and the addition of club soda to bring down the proof level a bit. Ought to be just the thing on a hot summer afternoon. I'll see if some good pictures are taken and post later.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#40 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:21 AM

What I understand is that I can't get S&C in Australia. Sad story. I've heard such wonderful things.

What rum could I use in its stead in cocktails and such? A few recommendations would be ideal, I guess, as the selection of rums here is a sad, sad story.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#41 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities" and my local store, of course, doesn't have it. I'm going there tomorrow to start the begging process to try to get them to order a bottle for me. Wish me luck...

Edited by Tri2Cook, 19 October 2012 - 05:31 PM.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#42 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities" and my local store, of course, doesn't have it. I'm going there tomorrow to start the begging process to try to get them to order a bottle for me. Wish me luck...

Looks like between the 3 stores that list it in Oakville there are about 30 bottles - if you have trouble let me know and I'll make sure I get it to you.

K

#43 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:58 AM

Looks like between the 3 stores that list it in Oakville there are about 30 bottles - if you have trouble let me know and I'll make sure I get it to you.

K

Thanks Kerry. I stopped by the local store yesterday, the head honcho wasn't in but I left my request with the guy that was there. I'll check in again tomorrow and see what the verdict is.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#44 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,841 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I shall wait to hear.

#45 DerekW

DerekW
  • society donor
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities"

30 bottles for an entire province? Still, anything is better than the Giant Sloth of the Forests of Bureaucracy which is BCLDB, where it seems they have a hate-on for rum - Alberta gets high-test Lemon Hart, you good people get S&C. BC gets, well, excused having to live in Alberta or Ontario, I suppose. Bah :wink:

#46 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

The LCBO has Smith & Cross in stock now! Marked as "limited quantities"

30 bottles for an entire province? Still, anything is better than the Giant Sloth of the Forests of Bureaucracy which is BCLDB, where it seems they have a hate-on for rum - Alberta gets high-test Lemon Hart, you good people get S&C. BC gets, well, excused having to live in Alberta or Ontario, I suppose. Bah :wink:

There are more than 30 for the province, more like 700. Kerry was just talking about the stores in her area. I'm still waiting patiently for them to give in and bring the LH 151.

#47 Kent Wang

Kent Wang
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:10 AM

When doing shots of Smith & Cross, everyone must high five each other and yell, "Navy strength, baby!"

#48 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Upthread, Sam had suggested mixing S&C with Bonal. In the same vein, there is this cocktail.

Gramercy Tavern's Crossfire
1 oz Smith & Cross
1/2 oz Cherry Heering
1/2 oz Bonal
1/2 oz orange juice
3 dashes orange bitters

I used Luxardo Sangue Morlacco, and a Cara Cara orange (a type of Navel orange with a pink flesh). For the orange bitters I used Regan's + Fee.

It tasted a bit bitter from the Bonal at first sip (my husband thought for a second I had attempted sneaking some Campari in his drink), then an explosion of flavors. Intense - definitely a sipping drink.

Posted Image

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 15 January 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#49 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Rope Burn (Ron Dollete, aka LushAngeles).
Equal parts S&C, Bonal, Aperol.
Flamed grapefruit twist (discarded).

Posted Image

It is described here as a Negroni variation. It does not have the intense bitterness of the Negroni though, but you get a ton of crazy aromas from the S&C and Bonal combo.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 17 January 2013 - 11:07 AM.

#50 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz. Velvet Falernum
.25 oz. Grand Marnier

The problem, of course, is that Inner Circle isn't distributed anymore. Smith & Cross makes a decent substitute.

Anybody ever tried crossing Batavia Arrack with S&C plus other assorted ingredients? Seems like that would be a better representative for a drink called "Both Indies". Of course it also sounds a bit like Banks 5 Island rum...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#51 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

.75 oz lemon juice
.5 oz. Velvet Falernum
.25 oz. Grand Marnier

Anybody ever tried crossing Batavia Arrack with S&C plus other assorted ingredients? Seems like that would be a better representative for a drink called "Both Indies". Of course it also sounds a bit like Banks 5 Island rum...

It looks like Dan had a similar idea with his Shining Path cocktail (batavia arrack as the base with a float of S&C). I haven't tried this combo personally but it sounds like it should work.

#52 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Having Arrack and S&C and IC Green, I suspect that you could sub in .5 Arrack and 1.5 S&C to achieve something approximated IC. If you wanted that result, I mean. It's noticeably funkier than S&C. Incidentally, if anyone Stateside really, truly, madly wants some IC Green (or Red or Black [Black is the highest proof variant avaliable]) and is happy to deal with the rather unfriendly postage charges, er, something can be arranged.

Edited by ChrisTaylor, 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#53 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:49 AM

This one was totally awesome. Designed to highlight all the things we love about S&C: the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc, with clever additions of batavia arrack, passion fruit syrup and maraschino liqueur. Thank You Rafa!!!

Snoop Lion (Rafa García Febles): Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, white grapefruit and lime juice, passion fruit syrup (B.G. Reynolds), batavia arrack, maraschino liqueur.

14985101602_6dcea8e2c7_z.jpg

• Hassouni likes this

#54 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

This one was totally awesome. Designed to highlight all the things we love about S&C: the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc, with clever additions of batavia arrack, passion fruit syrup and maraschino liqueur. Thank You Rafa!!!

Snoop Lion (Rafa García Febles): Smith & Cross Jamaican rum, white grapefruit and lime juice, passion fruit syrup (B.G. Reynolds), batavia arrack, maraschino liqueur.

14985101602_6dcea8e2c7_z.jpg

How have I not made this before, this ticks every button for me!

#55 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Alas!  I have everything in house but passion fruit!  Wonder how it would be with grenadine or raspberry syrup?  Maybe pineapple syrup?

What do you do for white grapefruit this time of year?  My last half dozen white grapefruit are getting moldy...which I suppose adds to the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc.  Plenty of pink grapefruit cluttering up the stores.

After four days of white mai tais, having an S&C zombie at the moment.  I predict it will be a long, hard fall.

However, it is no secret II like the white mai tai better.  No less funk (actually to my taste more!) and only slightly less alcohol.  The only thing that can be said against the white mai tai is no S&C.

Edit:  only a quarter ounce arrack and Maraschino??  Why bother?

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 29 August 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#56 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Alas!  I have everything in house but passion fruit!  Wonder how it would be with grenadine or raspberry syrup?  Maybe pineapple syrup?

What do you do for white grapefruit this time of year?  My last half dozen white grapefruit are getting moldy...which I suppose adds to the pungent funk, the mustiness, the weird esters, rotten banana, etc.  Plenty of pink grapefruit cluttering up the stores.

Pineapple syrup might work, but please keep the grenadine and raspberry syrup away (shudder).

I have no problem at all finding white grapefruits right now. Even Trader Joe's has them in stock. I personally stay away from the pink stuff. Anything pink is evil.
  • Rafa likes this

#57 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

I'll plan to give it a try, but I can't do much after a zombie.  Promise...no grenadine or raspberry.

My white grape fruit come from Florida, but the season ends in early spring.  Are your white grapefruit from California?

#58 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

Pineapple syrup might work, but please keep the grenadine and raspberry syrup away (shudder).

I have no problem at all finding white grapefruits right now. Even Trader Joe's has them in stock. I personally stay away from the pink stuff. Anything pink is evil.

le vin rosé aussi?

Edited by Hassouni, 29 August 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#59 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:14 PM

My white grape fruit come from Florida, but the season ends in early spring.  Are your white grapefruit from California?

Yes. They are available practically year-round.

#60 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:19 PM

le vin rosé aussi?

OK - I will make an exception for French pink things; rosé and rosé champagne are fine....
  • Hassouni likes this