Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Any Molecular Gastronomy in Vancouver?

Modernist

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Chalk

Andrew Chalk
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:36 PM

I am visiting Vancouver this November and wondered if there is any molecular gastronomy there?

Many thanks!

#2 George Baugh

George Baugh
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:37 AM

MG is a food fad that seems to have passed by Vancouver.

#3 fmed

fmed
  • participating member
  • 210 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

There are (were) some minor examples of foam and spherification here and there (namely West, the now-defunct Rare and Gastropod, etc.) Nothing that involved liquid Nitrogen or similar envelope-stretching things.
fmed
de gustibus non est disputandum

#4 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

My first thought was Restaurant Connor Butler, but I have no idea if they still do this/ever did this. I vaguely recall hearing something about domes and vapours some while back when they just opened.

My second thought was DC Duby Chocolates....but I'm pretty certain it's chocolates only, and I'm not sure if there's even a retail store, or just online and wholesale.

#5 demiglace

demiglace
  • participating member
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

Connor Butler has closed.
http://www.connorbutler.com/2007/

#6 Mark Donnelly

Mark Donnelly
  • legacy participant
  • 175 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

Connor Butler has closed.
http://www.connorbutler.com/2007/

With prices for mains in the $45 range, no wonder this place closed. Those are high prices by London standards, let alone provincial Vancouver.

#7 Andrew Chalk

Andrew Chalk
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for the responses!

#8 Jtothe

Jtothe
  • participating member
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

No restaurants claim to be "molecular gastronomy" but I know that 'C' restaurant quite reqularly uses these techniques ie. caviars, meat glue, etc.

#9 Andrew Chalk

Andrew Chalk
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

Just an FYI: In Whistler we inadvertently ran into some innovative MG at Araxi. The Fall Prix Fixe Menu ($39) includes "Butternut Squash Pearls". A poor man's caviar from one perspective but far more interesting than that from mine. A very clever use of Tromp L'Oeil technique.

#10 Beebs

Beebs
  • participating member
  • 710 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:03 AM

Bumping this topic up.

Article in today's Vancouver Sun on modernist cuisine in Vancouver: Vancouver chefs embrace modernist cooking.

It mentions Hamid Salimian of Diva at the Met and Jefferson Alvarez of Fraiche employing modernist techniques in their dishes.

#11 C Simril

C Simril
  • participating member
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

I first had sous vide cooking at Diva a few years ago and it was excellent. Don't know what they're doing now. I recently dined at Jose Andre's micro modernist temple "e" in Las Vegas. I really don't ever expect to see that sort of cooking here. There isn't an audience for it.

#12 greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth
  • participating member
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

My first thought was Restaurant Connor Butler, but I have no idea if they still do this/ever did this. I vaguely recall hearing something about domes and vapours some while back when they just opened.

My second thought was DC Duby Chocolates....but I'm pretty certain it's chocolates only, and I'm not sure if there's even a retail store, or just online and wholesale.

I can vouch or Duby...uber cool stuff. Else, MG doesn't play in Vancouver.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Modernist