Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Korean malt syrup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:39 AM

I'm hoping there's a little intersection between the homebrewing community and those who cook Korean food.

I found a recipe for pork ribs that glazes them with a mixture that includes malt syrup. These days, it's easier for me to get homebrew supplies than it is for me to get to the almost-local Asian grocery.

Can anyone out there give me a suggestion as to what sort of malt syrup the Koreans use, and what its homebrew equivalent might be?

Thanks,
MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#2 Soup

Soup
  • participating member
  • 612 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

Cannot give you a direct comparison but I believe you are referring to Mul Yut. I think it is corn syrup (someone plese check me on this).

However since your end goal is making korean pork ribs, you can use honey, brown sugar or white sugar. They all work just as good.

I have a lot of korean cook books and most call for sugar or honey instead of malt syrup. The best version of the korean pork ribs (both the soy based one and the kochujang based one which is spicy) is done by my father and he always uses sugar.

Soup

#3 mgaretz

mgaretz
  • participating member
  • 672 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:23 AM

At the homebrew store your best bet would be to stay with "light" malt syrup. Anything else would be flavored for making beer.

#4 nakji

nakji
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:50 AM

Mul yut is a light-coloured syrup, isn't it? To this day, I'm not sure what exactly it's made from, but I have successfully substituted corn syrup into recipes calling for it. It doesn't contribute much in flavour, just liquid stickiness. You could use honey, but the flavour is more pronounced, and corn syrup is cheaper, I suppose.

#5 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:42 AM

Yes, I'm looking for mool yut (choose your preferred transliteration).

I wish I knew what grain was malted to make it!

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#6 nakji

nakji
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

choose your preferred transliteration

I choose the Revised Romanization of Korean! :smile:

I'm pretty sure the malt syrup is made from barley, but it doesn't look anything near as dark as brewers malt.

#7 monkuaruka

monkuaruka
  • participating member
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:17 AM

I had a similar problem finding this for a Chinese crispy chicken recipe.

The generic name of this is "maltose syrup". If you can find an Asian or Japanese market, look for Mool Yut (Korean) or Mizuame (Japanese). The Wikipedia entry shows maltose as being about 1/3 as sweet as honey or straight sugar. You should be able to substitute honey (and this is commonly seen in English translations of Chinese recipes), however based on the relative sweetness I would recommend reducing quantities by about 1/3.

Good luck, and best regards from Tokyo...
---
Satoshi

#8 zaskar

zaskar
  • participating member
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:33 AM

I've gotten Malt syrup from the korean market here. I've also seen Korean malt syrup w/ the following ingrediants: Corn syrup, glucose, water.

Malt syrup is made from barely. Maltose is used for peking duck, give it that shinny coat.

I'll be going later this morning and could look and see what I can find there. LEt me know.

-z

#9 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:42 AM

You may be able to find barley malt syrup at a natural foods store.

#10 SheenaGreena

SheenaGreena
  • participating member
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

My mother uses karo syrup as a substitute for the malt syrup and I never notice a taste difference (:
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

#11 heidih

heidih
  • 10,649 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

My mother uses karo syrup as a substitute for the malt syrup and I never notice a taste difference (:

Karo, a brand of corn syrup, comes in light which is clear, and dark. Do you know which one your mom uses?

#12 nakji

nakji
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

Sorry, i should add that mul yut is very pale - almost clear in colour. Light corn syrup would be a good substitute.

#13 Doodad

Doodad
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

As a Korean food lover and homebrewer who used to work in a supply store I would not use the brewer's malt.

I would, however, use sorghum syrup if I could find it. Or do Richard Blais' trick in the TC finale and cook down the Carribean drink Malta.

If nothing else for flavor's sake.