Serves 4 as Dessert.
A marriage of African and Portuguese influences, Quindim is a rich custard consisting of egg yolks, fresh coconut and coconut milk. Oh, and sugar…LOTS of sugar…
Recipe w/ pics
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 c sugar
- 4 oz freshly grated coconut
- 2 fl oz coconut milk
- juice of 1/4 lime
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- sugar/butter for the ramekins
2. Butter 4 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups. Fill them with sugar, coating all sides, then toss out. Set aside in baking pan.
3. Pass the egg yolks through a strainer to get rid of the skin.
4. Thoroughly mix the sugar, coconut, coconut milk, and lime into the egg yolk,then spoon the mixture into the prepared ramekins.
5. Set the ramekins in a baking pan in the oven, and fill the pan with hot water, about halfway up the side of the ramekins.
6. Bake for 1 hour, until the tops are golden.
7.Remove the custards from the pan and rest them in the fridge for at least four hours.
When you're ready to serve, slide a sharp knife around the edge of the cups turn the quindins out onto a plate.
Keywords: Dessert, Easy
( RG2110 )