Scheduled Downtime

NOTICE: The eG Forums will be offline for several hours on Friday, November 28 for system maintenance.

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Great NY Noodletown

Chinese

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31 Sneakeater

Sneakeater
  • participating member
  • 4,455 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

That's why God invented cardboard cartons.

Edited by Sneakeater, 19 March 2007 - 08:46 AM.

#32 Gastro888

Gastro888
  • participating member
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Ah, but you know that Chinese noodles never taste as good as when they're served hot and fresh. The appeal of e-fu mein is the "al dente" texture. I'd still take it home but you know how it is.

#33 weinoo

weinoo
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

It's really the noodle soups that are great here - but I prefer the stand-alone wonton soups without noodles - their wontons are so stuffed with shrimp they're practically bursting and there are a lot of 'em in a bowl of soup!

Roast pig is a better bet than roast pork...and they also have baby/suckling pig every day, it's just that they're usually sold out of it after lunch.

Salt & pepper squid, shrimp and when soft shells are around are all good choices.

Plain greens - gai lan or similar are a nice addition.
Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"
mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog
My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs
Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

#34 Pan

Pan
  • 15,544 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

I haven't found the e-fu dishes to be very interesting. I like the ginger-scallion lo mein, though.

#35 mascarpone

mascarpone
  • participating member
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:33 AM

What do you mean by e-fu?

My wife and I had wide noodles there on Saturday night. We really enjoyed the Wide noodles with Chicken and Vegetables. My wife, who is Japanese, commented on the al dente texture of the noodles and the distinct egg flavor. These are qualities that many Japanese find appealing in ramen noodles.

#36 BryanZ

BryanZ
  • participating member
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:37 PM

The skin and layer of subcutaneous fat on the baby pig is where the action is. The meat itself is a bit bland, perhaps due to the animal's age, and doesn't quite have the punch that one often expects in roasted staples like duck or red-cooked pork. My ideal roasted plate here would be two parts duck, one part baby pig, and a small dish of raw ginger/scallion to help cut the fat.

#37 Katie Meadow

Katie Meadow
  • participating member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

I haven't been to NY Noodletown in several years, but I'm in NY this week and went for a 3pm lunch. That must be the quietest time of day, since that's when lots of kitchen staff were eating. Spectacular early season salt baked soft shell crabs! Big BIG juicy, perfect. The staff were all eating piles of garlicky pea shoots, so that's what we ordered. Love them. Roast duck also very good. Two big crabs for $18. I'm not used to quite so much salt, but then we're talking about eating Chinese food. Walk carefully, I think they wash the floors with duck fat.

#38 LindaK

LindaK
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Sounds fantastic. I'm texting a friend who is on his way to NYC as I write to let him know he should make a stop for the soft shell crabs.  I'm sure he thanks you for the heads up.

Ordinarily I get their wonton soup, but after a bowl of that, I can barely eat anything else. I'd swap soup for soft shell crab, though.

#39 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

I haven't been to NY Noodletown in several years, but I'm in NY this week and went for a 3pm lunch. That must be the quietest time of day, since that's when lots of kitchen staff were eating. Spectacular early season salt baked soft shell crabs! Big BIG juicy, perfect. The staff were all eating piles of garlicky pea shoots, so that's what we ordered. Love them. Roast duck also very good. Two big crabs for $18. I'm not used to quite so much salt, but then we're talking about eating Chinese food. Walk carefully, I think they wash the floors with duck fat.

You ordered good.  Still my 1st or 2nd or 3rd fave in Chinatown.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#40 patrickamory

patrickamory
  • participating member
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:01 PM

It's a classic. Great late-night location too.

I've been going for probably 20 years now... 25?

(Was there once a Little Noodletown? I seem to remember something of the sort...)

#41 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

some pix from earlier this year:

8335882998_ffdfbda516_z.jpg

roast duck and wonton noodle soup

8334828341_b583c851d2_z.jpg

seafood noodle soup

8334828001_832caaf737_z.jpg

baby suckling pig

yes, I'm in love...

8335882002_01236aa3f5_z.jpg

oyster and chinese bbq pork sizzling casserole

we thought this was the least successful dish of the bunch we ordered

8334827219_97548f280e_z.jpg

stir-fried pea shoots with garlic

#42 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:06 AM

After those pix, I might have to go for lunch.  Which dish didn't you think was great - the shoots or the casserole?

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#43 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:38 AM

the casserole.  it's not something I'll order again.

#44 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

BTW, and I'm sure you know this -- New York Noodletown is also BYOB.  we had a nice Spanish white wine to go along with most of what we ate.  very reasonable corkage fee too.

#45 weinoo

weinoo
  • 6,562 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

the casserole.  it's not something I'll order again.

My kingdom for a great Chinese casserole.

mweinstein@eGstaff.org
Tasty Travails - My Blog

#46 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

this was at like 1 or 2 am Friday night

8912216346_f18164272e_z.jpg

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#47 KennethT

KennethT
  • participating member
  • 911 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

nice... their soft shells are awesome...

#48 KRS

KRS
  • participating member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

Their super-simple dishes are also amazing. Congee with fish has raw bits of fish slipped into boiling-hot congee, with the perfect amound of slivered scallion and a bit of soy sauce and, I think hoisin. By the time it's cool enough to eat, the fish is perfectly cooked.

The last time I was there I had an amazing appetizer combo - a bit of everything that was hanging in the side window.

#49 basquecook

basquecook
  • legacy participant
  • 570 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

I have been there, once a week for the last 4 weeks.   Every time I come back from a trip, I usually land later in the evening, I stop in there.. It stops me from eating some garbage McDonalds at the airport, knowing I have this on the horizon.  

The latest time I was there, last Sunday, i went with 8 people.. 8 people is the perfect number to go with as, those circular tables hold 8 adults comfortably.  I have seen more but, 8 is great.  

We ordered lots of things on the menu.  The only new dish we ordered was the oysters and pork.. Fried oysters, roasted pork with mushrooms in this thick brown sauce.. oysters were fried well and very large.. it was a good combo for sure. 

Edited by basquecook, 03 April 2014 - 06:29 AM.

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

#50 SobaAddict70

SobaAddict70
  • legacy participant
  • 7,609 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

I've been dreaming of that crispy pork pictured above.

And fried soft-shell crab.

I think I need to go there soon again....
  • basquecook likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chinese