Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate Lab and Teaching Room

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,686 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

I've also been thinking about making up a batch of the caramel mousse filling that Lironp mentioned from the course she took. 

I'm thinking of giving that a shot for the "f'ing bunny" molds. I plan to leave out the orange zest and grand marnier though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#122 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

I've also been thinking about making up a batch of the caramel mousse filling that Lironp mentioned from the course she took. 

I'm thinking of giving that a shot for the "f'ing bunny" molds. I plan to leave out the orange zest and grand marnier though.

I've got two f'ing bunny molds ready to go along with the eggs.

#123 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hubby finally got around to hooking up the kitchen downdraft ventilation unit that I traded for chocolate (it was new, she changed her mind and went with another ventilation unit and it was sitting out in the barn) and venting it out through the hole in the wall that the builders had left us when they built the chocolate lab.  

I then finally got around to placing the elegant cardboard box around it.  I had great plans for a nice little plexiglass box - but hey - hell hasn't frozen over yet - so cardboard it is!

IMG_0541.jpg

Vent down, unit off.

IMG_0542.jpg

Vent up, unit on.  I have since removed the filters as they interfere with the air flow significantly.

IMG_0551.jpg

Filter I put in front when I'm splattering to minimize the amount of cocoa butter hitting the vent.  

IMG_0569.jpg

Little warmer plate on an Ikea dimmer switch to keep the airbrushes warm.  I find when one blocks up, I take a warm one off the heater, place the cold one on it and keep working.  A few minutes on the warmer and the original is ready to go again.  

• judiu and Desiderio like this

#124 Alleguede

Alleguede
  • participating member
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:54 AM

Ok, this is an intense party room. I am really impressed. My shop isn't this safe. We also make cakes, bread and croissants, ...
One day I will have my little room also. It might take a while though.

#125 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Question for you Kerry, I'm hoping to start construction on my own chocolate kitchen in my basement this winter.  Reading about the possible crazy regulations for fire and venting when having a gas range, I'm also contemplating getting an induction cooktop (or 2) to spare myself the headache.  Any suggestions on brands you think are better than others?  Any that question goes out to anyone who works with induction burners, not just Kerry  :smile:

#126 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:33 PM

I have a Vollrath and really like it. I tried a home-version induction and it cut off just when I needed it most!! This one is 1800 watts, I think. It has never cut off. You have to have the right pans for it. My All-clad copper core won't work! Alum core does. I think Ikea carries induction worthy pots. Good to have you back in the chocolate business:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#127 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:58 PM

Yeah - mine are not expensive ones - Eurodib I think. They work just fine for what I do with them.

#128 YetiChocolates

YetiChocolates
  • participating member
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Ladies!  I saw a Waring one online that looked pretty decent, but will keep Vollrath and Eurodib in mind.  Already have people asking about me doing Halloween chocolates, so looks like I'll probably be decently busy when I get back and set up in Wenatchee  :biggrin:

One more question (for the moment), who do you think is the best distributor for the mold d' art melters?  Thinking about picking up one (or 2!) this winter as well.

Edited by YetiChocolates, 05 October 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#129 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

Not sure in the US - here in Canada the distributor is DR.  I've bought directly from Mol d'art in Belgium but they came with a euro plug so I have to use an adaptor which is a bit of a PITA.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate