Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Chocolate Lab and Teaching Room

Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#61 audrey551

audrey551
  • participating member
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

Congratulations Kerry. Love the workplace. Will be down to see my daughter September for a month. You will have to let me know if you have any classes available, interested in learning airbrushing. Love all those molds especially the ones that are for sale!!

#62 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

Audrey - for you we will organize a class!

#63 chocoera

chocoera
  • participating member
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

awesome blossom :) looks fabulous! hmmmmm 2011 conference there? ;)

#64 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Back in 2009 I posted on this thread that I had a 'toy' in the garage with all the sinks and stainless tables and was going to tell you about it when I got it set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I picked this up from a fellow who had bought it at auction from a company in Texas that had gone out of business. He decided he didn't need it for his business so opted to sell it. I got it for a really good price - the Selmi, the enrober and an EZ Fill Depositor. The EZ Fill has gone to a good home which helped defray the shipping cost of the unit. I learned a lot about how to transport large expensive objects cross border!

Well here we are in 2012 and I'm finally there! Those round tuits are hard to get your hands on. The delay was waiting for the hubby to apply himself to the 220 wiring, the 3 phase converter, the various controls and boxes on the electrical room wall and finally getting it cleaned up and working. Fortunately there is very little that is mechanical, electrical or electronic that he can't get running if there is any hope for it at all.

The sucker was filthy - inside and out. He ran gallons of water through the cooling system - finally stopped getting black after a couple of days. When we put the first batch of chocolate in to clean out the old stuff that was still under the bowl - we couldn't get any chocolate to come up through the spout - after taking it apart again he discovered the auger was running backwards and was so gummed with old chocolate that he had to take that whole part apart and clean it thoroughly. Not easy as this is one of the first models that doesn't have the easily removable auger.

Turned out that the main circuit board was frapped and needed to be replaced at the cost of about a grand, and I purchased a new tailing bar for the enrober as the original is damaged and that causes it to squeak.

I also had to purchase a goodly amount of food grade ethylene glycol as a coolant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So on Friday I had Kyle and his mom over to see it in action. Kyle was my youngest student ever - he was 9 when he first came to learn - we had to put a stool beside the counter so he could reach. He's almost 15 now - still making chocolate - and doesn't need the stool anymore. Those who have attended the chocolate conferences will remember him. A small bundle of energy! He was totally in agreement with enrobing oreos and the home made Snicker's bars.

As you can see there is still a fair bit I need to learn about balancing the speed of the chain, blow of the blower, tap of the tapper and height of the tailing bar to perfect the bottoms on various size and shaped pieces. One size does not fit all for sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The temper in this thing is perfect! I still had 5 kg or so of chocolate in the unit - so later in the evening I started working on my easter moulds. Several moulds that I've had a lot of trouble with breakage before came out perfectly! That was very exciting let me tell you. I love the idea of limitless tempered chocolate when I start on a large project like Easter or Christmas 3D mould production. I rescued my two huge bunny moulds from Niagara College yesterday - so they are next.

#65 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:20 AM

Congratulations on getting the Selmi up and running! Rather sure that you now have a lock on the eGulleter with the most toys. :smile:

#66 patti_h

patti_h
  • participating member
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

So glad this thread was resurrected- what awesomeness!!!

Kerr I think if I were you I would never leave the house!!!

#67 CaliPoutine

CaliPoutine
  • participating member
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:34 PM

so cool. I wish I could have seen your room in person. Maybe in 2013 when I come to Toronto for a conference.

#68 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:37 PM

That's really cool Kerry. The art of the chocolatier is not a well-honed skill in my arsenal which is a nice way of saying I pretty much suck at it. So I don't do enough to justify a nice setup like that... but somehow I'm still jealous.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#69 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Wow! I probably would put just about everything I have in the house in this thing, so much fun!

#70 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:46 PM

That's really cool Kerry. The art of the chocolatier is not a well-honed skill in my arsenal which is a nice way of saying I pretty much suck at it. So I don't do enough to justify a nice setup like that... but somehow I'm still jealous.

One of the best parts of a room like this - I can leave everything dirty and come upstairs! Sadly it does have to be cleaned at some point.

#71 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:04 PM

so cool. I wish I could have seen your room in person. Maybe in 2013 when I come to Toronto for a conference.

Always welcome to come by and check it out! And it's always good to escape from a conference for a while.

#72 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Posted Image

Came home from the chocolate conference to discover this!

When we did the renovation, the contractor arranged to put a vent through the wall so we could eventually hook up a spray booth of sorts. It seems they put the outside part on from the start - but it was a last minute thought to put the hole in the wall on the inside - and no consideration was given to making sure that A could meet B! Hubby is not a happy camper. Hope it won't be too long.

Edited by Kerry Beal, 20 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#73 Chocolot

Chocolot
  • participating member
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Oh my--is Gary still alive???

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

#74 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Oh, no! :shock: Leave it to the contractors to mess up your space!

I am really jealous that you have this dedicated space for your chocolate work - that's fantastic. You've got some awesome toys to play with, too! I am still working to convince hubby that I *really* need a choc workshop in the basement, but so far he's been less than enthusiastic. Also not sure how this idea would go down with the building inspector. From what I understand (and you mentioned this upthread) there are some fire and ventilation issues that they might be picky about. Ah, well. Something to work towards.

I hope the vent goes in soon, so that your choc room can return to its natural state, and you can resume teaching. Any airbrushing courses coming up after Easter?

#75 threestars

threestars
  • participating member
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:15 AM

That looks really great! :) I read the thread from the start. :)

#76 Sue Casey

Sue Casey
  • participating member
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

I envy your workspace, even if it has a bit of a setback. Hopefully the vent will get sorted out soon.

#77 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 554 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

Back in 2009 I posted on this thread that I had a 'toy' in the garage with all the sinks and stainless tables and was going to tell you about it when I got it set up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I picked this up from a fellow who had bought it at auction from a company in Texas that had gone out of business. He decided he didn't need it for his business so opted to sell it. I got it for a really good price - the Selmi, the enrober and an EZ Fill Depositor. The EZ Fill has gone to a good home which helped defray the shipping cost of the unit. I learned a lot about how to transport large expensive objects cross border!

Well here we are in 2012 and I'm finally there! Those round tuits are hard to get your hands on. The delay was waiting for the hubby to apply himself to the 220 wiring, the 3 phase converter, the various controls and boxes on the electrical room wall and finally getting it cleaned up and working. Fortunately there is very little that is mechanical, electrical or electronic that he can't get running if there is any hope for it at all.

The sucker was filthy - inside and out. He ran gallons of water through the cooling system - finally stopped getting black after a couple of days. When we put the first batch of chocolate in to clean out the old stuff that was still under the bowl - we couldn't get any chocolate to come up through the spout - after taking it apart again he discovered the auger was running backwards and was so gummed with old chocolate that he had to take that whole part apart and clean it thoroughly. Not easy as this is one of the first models that doesn't have the easily removable auger.

Turned out that the main circuit board was frapped and needed to be replaced at the cost of about a grand, and I purchased a new tailing bar for the enrober as the original is damaged and that causes it to squeak.

I also had to purchase a goodly amount of food grade ethylene glycol as a coolant.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So on Friday I had Kyle and his mom over to see it in action. Kyle was my youngest student ever - he was 9 when he first came to learn - we had to put a stool beside the counter so he could reach. He's almost 15 now - still making chocolate - and doesn't need the stool anymore. Those who have attended the chocolate conferences will remember him. A small bundle of energy! He was totally in agreement with enrobing oreos and the home made Snicker's bars.

As you can see there is still a fair bit I need to learn about balancing the speed of the chain, blow of the blower, tap of the tapper and height of the tailing bar to perfect the bottoms on various size and shaped pieces. One size does not fit all for sure.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The temper in this thing is perfect! I still had 5 kg or so of chocolate in the unit - so later in the evening I started working on my easter moulds. Several moulds that I've had a lot of trouble with breakage before came out perfectly! That was very exciting let me tell you. I love the idea of limitless tempered chocolate when I start on a large project like Easter or Christmas 3D mould production. I rescued my two huge bunny moulds from Niagara College yesterday - so they are next.

I am so jealous there simply isn't a word for it.
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#78 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:32 PM

Oh my--is Gary still alive???

Yeah - knew he'd be doing it - just hoped he'd be finished. Think I'd have learned by now!

#79 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

Oh, no! :shock: Leave it to the contractors to mess up your space!

I am really jealous that you have this dedicated space for your chocolate work - that's fantastic. You've got some awesome toys to play with, too! I am still working to convince hubby that I *really* need a choc workshop in the basement, but so far he's been less than enthusiastic. Also not sure how this idea would go down with the building inspector. From what I understand (and you mentioned this upthread) there are some fire and ventilation issues that they might be picky about. Ah, well. Something to work towards.

I hope the vent goes in soon, so that your choc room can return to its natural state, and you can resume teaching. Any airbrushing courses coming up after Easter?

I think the problem is only if you have a heat source in there. I only use induction so it's not a problem.

Airbrushing course can be arranged any time you want.

#80 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

I am so jealous there simply isn't a word for it.

Sorry!

#81 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

I think the problem is only if you have a heat source in there. I only use induction so it's not a problem.

Airbrushing course can be arranged any time you want.

Sounds really good, I'm really excited! Will PM you after Easter to set something up, if it's ok for you.

Thank you, Kerry!

#82 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

Hope all is running smoothly there!!! Looks fabulous. Used toys... hmmmm!!! Maybe at a garage sale I can find one...
Enjoy it all!!!! Fabulous!

#83 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Came home today - tables are in place - the vent is still not hooked up but at least the room is useable again.

#84 RobertM

RobertM
  • participating member
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Just re-reading previous posts and noticed your refrigerator - with your tools on the door of the unit. Assuming you use magnets to adhere them, what an amazing concept! Do you have any issues with the tool and magnet coming off the fridge in one piece?
Yet, another idea from you that I plan on stealing....

#85 Darienne

Darienne
  • participating member
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Just re-reading previous posts and noticed your refrigerator - with your tools on the door of the unit. Assuming you use magnets to adhere them, what an amazing concept! Do you have any issues with the tool and magnet coming off the fridge in one piece?
Yet, another idea from you that I plan on stealing....

Went back to look at your fridge door after reading RobertM's post.

What kind of magnets are these and where do you get them please and thanks.
Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

#86 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Magnets from Lee Valley. Occasionally the magnet comes off with the tool - particularly the chef's knife and the drywall taping knives - but it's not a huge issue.

#87 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

Posted Image

Did some enrobing yesterday - over 200 oreos, over 200 coconut wafers, a container of those lovely triple ginger gingersnaps from Trader Joe's (damn - need a Trader Joe's close by) and a couple of Dare brand Bear Claw cookies which are a big soft cookie. Anna and I have an event coming up at a posh girl's school in Toronto later this month.

One thing I've noticed is the blower works 'better' on one side of the chain than the other - need to figure out if there is a way to fix that - suspect there isn't.

#88 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

I would love to come and play in your Lab! I will even help clean up afterwards!!! :rolleyes:

#89 lironp

lironp
  • participating member
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

Sounds like so much fun! Who eats all these cookies afterwards???

#90 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,444 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

Sounds like so much fun! Who eats all these cookies afterwards???

The oreos and coconut wafers are going to the charity fund raising thing - the seconds to work or upstairs for hubby and kid (all oreo seconds are already gone). Not sure what I'll do with the ginger snaps - they were excellent and may not leave the house!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chocolate