Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#211 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Where did you get the passion fruit syrup?

B.G. Reynolds (formerly known as Trader Tiki). I bought it last summer with a bunch of other syrups, and they are still good. I keep them in the fridge.

#212 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I made a couple of tiki drinks recently in preparation for an upcoming event.

First the Bum Barrel from Beachbum Berry Remixed. It's Jeff Berry's twist on the rum barrel. It's from the later portion of the book which contains new/modernized creations. The recommended rums were dark Jamaican and gold Virgin Island rums. I substituted what I have available in large quantities: Whaler's rum (which lacks the depth of Appleton) and Flor de Cana gold. The other ingredients are lime juice, white grapefruit juice, orange juice, passion fruit syrup, honey mix, Angostura bitters and soda water. Quite good, but felt a little watered down with the soda water. Was improved by a few drops of passion fruit bitters (made by a friend) which added depth. This wasn't especially memorable (at least not with this rum combo) but would still make a very decent punch.

Posted Image

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 07 August 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#213 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Next up was Captain Vadrna's Grog, also from Beachbum Berry Remixed. This drink was apparently created with Captain Morgan spiced rum. I am not a huge fan of that rum but happen to have a few bottles of it so I decided to try this drink.
I did not expect too much from it between the Captain Morgan and the pretty straightforward list of ingredients (lime juice, white grapefruit juice, demerara syrup, Angostura bitters). I also snuck in a few drops of grapefruit bitters (also from my friend).
This was really good despite its simplicity. It had a lot of flavor and spice. I will make it again for sure.

Posted Image

#214 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

Someone I know is looking for a "pirate punch" recipe so yesterday I decided to test drive Stephen Remsberg's Planter's Punch recipe from Beachbum Berry Remixed. It's just dark rum (he specifies Coruba), lime juice, simple syrup and Angostura bitters. I did not have any Coruba but based on a tasting at Tiki Oasis last year I remembered that it was roughly in the same family as the Cruzan Black Strap that I bought fairly recently, so I just used that instead.

The drink is build directly in the glass and swizzled. It was rich and quite smooth. The strong maple syrup flavor of the black strap takes a few sips to get used to, but once you do it's a really enjoyable drink.

Posted Image

#215 EvergreenDan

EvergreenDan
  • participating member
  • 967 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Frog -- how about mixing that Cruzan Blackstrap with something mild and dry, like Flor de Cana? It's pretty assertive on its own.
Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

#216 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Frog -- how about mixing that Cruzan Blackstrap with something mild and dry, like Flor de Cana? It's pretty assertive on its own.

Yes, something like that could work. I would like to try it with the Coruba as well - just another excuse to buy more rum!

#217 Jane Randahl

Jane Randahl
  • participating member
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

There are definitely some great recipes here and tiki drinks are a really interesting vein of spirits. Perhaps I missed it while skimming, but I would love a recipe for a good Zombie. By far my favorite exotic drink.

#218 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

There are definitely some great recipes here and tiki drinks are a really interesting vein of spirits. Perhaps I missed it while skimming, but I would love a recipe for a good Zombie. By far my favorite exotic drink.

Jane,
Regarding the Zombie, there is some excellent information at the beginning of this thread (see here for example).
I also recommend reading this article from the New York Times which summarizes the history of the drink and also provides Don the Beachcomber's "Zombie Punch" 1934 recipe (my favorite), together with a few other variations.

#219 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

After this discussion I had to make a 1934 Zombie Punch. I used Appleton 12 for the dark Jamaican rum and Lemon Hart 151 dememara. Lots of ingredients but well worth the effort. Impressive layers of flavors from the rums and the various spices (cinnamon, pastis, Angostura bitters and pastis).

Posted Image

#220 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Last night I was in the mood for a tiki drink but did not have the energy to make another 1934 Zombie Punch so I tried the simplified version created by Beachbum Berry (Beachbum Berry's Zombie). It uses only 5 ingredients instead of 10 in the original recipe. It's is shaken with ice cubes instead of blended.
It manages to retain the same flavor profile, though obviously not as complex. Despite its simplicity, it is a very respectable version of the Zombie.

Posted Image

#221 DerekW

DerekW
  • society donor
  • 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

... the simplified version created by Beachbum Berry (Beachbum Berry's Zombie). It uses only 5 ingredients instead of 10 in the original recipe....It manages to retain the same flavor profile...

...but perhaps has a harder time justifying it's claim to the name, rather lacking the bludgeoning payload of the previous version?
On the 'bitters' shelf at home lives a little dropper bottle containing a blend of angostura and raki. In the fridge is a little squeeze bottle of premixed grapefruit juice and cinnamon syrup. Similar squeeze bottles hold 'five minute' falernum, simple and passionfruit juice. The backups live in the freezer. Tiki time became a lot calmer when I grasped the whole 'frozen squeezy' storage thing.

#222 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

... the simplified version created by Beachbum Berry (Beachbum Berry's Zombie). It uses only 5 ingredients instead of 10 in the original recipe....It manages to retain the same flavor profile...

...but perhaps has a harder time justifying it's claim to the name, rather lacking the bludgeoning payload of the previous version?

DerekW,
I think that you are being a little harsh. Jeff Berry's simplified version still makes a very nice Zombie that I would be happy to have any day.

On the 'bitters' shelf at home lives a little dropper bottle containing a blend of angostura and raki. In the fridge is a little squeeze bottle of premixed grapefruit juice and cinnamon syrup. Similar squeeze bottles hold 'five minute' falernum, simple and passionfruit juice. The backups live in the freezer. Tiki time became a lot calmer when I grasped the whole 'frozen squeezy' storage thing.

Nice setup that you have. Could you please elaborate a little further regarding the premixed grapefruit juice & cinnamon syrup... Are you referring to something like "Don's Mix" from B.G. Reynolds, or is that something that you made?

#223 DerekW

DerekW
  • society donor
  • 265 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

DerekW, I think that you are being a little harsh. Jeff Berry's simplified version still makes a very nice Zombie that I would be happy to have any day.

No harshness intended. Just a gentle comment on the relevance of the name - 5oz compared to 1 1/2 oz.

Could you please elaborate a little further regarding the premixed grapefruit juice & cinnamon syrup... Are you referring to something like "Don's Mix" from B.G. Reynolds, or is that something that you made?

Both :)
Something like, but homemade. While I don't have my copy in front of me, I'm pretty sure that I lifted the idea from the pages of 'Beachbum Berry Remixed', where he is discussing Donn Beach's 'secret ingredients in coded bottles' system. Making the cinnamon infused simple is, well, simple, and it's not a big step to notice how often the grapefruit and cinnamon are called for in various recipes, generally in close enough ratio to suggest keeping them combined. I'm pretty sure Jeff directly refers to "Don's Mix". He also draws attention to the Angostura / Anise combo as recurring in a lot of Dark Rum based D-the-B drinks, and sure enough [to my jaded palate anyway] a few drops of the combo does add extra depth to the off-the cuff tiki variants I've tried it in.

#224 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

Could you please elaborate a little further regarding the premixed grapefruit juice & cinnamon syrup... Are you referring to something like "Don's Mix" from B.G. Reynolds, or is that something that you made?

Both :)
Something like, but homemade. While I don't have my copy in front of me, I'm pretty sure that I lifted the idea from the pages of 'Beachbum Berry Remixed', where he is discussing Donn Beach's 'secret ingredients in coded bottles' system. Making the cinnamon infused simple is, well, simple, and it's not a big step to notice how often the grapefruit and cinnamon are called for in various recipes, generally in close enough ratio to suggest keeping them combined. I'm pretty sure Jeff directly refers to "Don's Mix". He also draws attention to the Angostura / Anise combo as recurring in a lot of Dark Rum based D-the-B drinks, and sure enough [to my jaded palate anyway] a few drops of the combo does add extra depth to the off-the cuff tiki variants I've tried it in.

The grapefruit + cinnamon combo is indeed a classic combination used in many recipes from Don the Beachcomber (idem for anise + angostura); I was just curious about the fact that this mix could be kept for a while in the fridge. It has to be because of the cinnamon, because citrus juice tends to get bad rather quickly on its own.

#225 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

DerekW, I think that you are being a little harsh. Jeff Berry's simplified version still makes a very nice Zombie that I would be happy to have any day.

No harshness intended. Just a gentle comment on the relevance of the name - 5oz compared to 1 1/2 oz.

OK, got it - not as potent as the original. Still potent enough for me! :smile: And that gives others the perfect excuse to have another one...

#226 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

After reading somewhere that Don the Beachcomber's Navy Grog was Jeff Berry's favorite tiki drink, I had to refresh my memory.

The ingredients in the Navy Grog (recipe from Beachbum Berry Remixed) are: lime juice, grapefruit juice, honey syrup, light rum (Puerto Rican rum specified, I used Flor de Cana), dark Jamaican rum (Appleton 12 year), Demerara rum (El Dorado 5 year) and soda water. I did not follow the instructions which had me shake all the ingredients (including the soda water). The drink was rather large so I only added a small amount of soda water at the end.

Posted Image

First sip impression - quite bitter/overly grapefruit-y. Adjusted with a little bit of honey syrup. The grapefruit was still very pronounced. The drink got better over time and I was able to taste more flavors than just grapefruit.

It is nice but I can't say that it's my favorite tiki drink; I don't feel it is distinctive enough (not enough spice - I believe there are other versions that incorporate allspice which would be a good addition - and it felt too dilute). I much prefer Jeff Berry's own twist on the Navy Grog, the Ancient Mariner.

#227 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Still stuck in tiki mode, which is not a bad thing at all.

We had Trader Vic's Mai Tais to celebrate tiki oasis last week - La Favorite "coeur de rhum" aged rhum agricole and Appleton Estate "extra" 12-year rum combo, with Clement Creole shrubb.

Then a couple of days ago, I made Don the Beachcomber's Pearl Diver Punch (1937). It's a relatively involved recipe. First you have to prepare a batter/mix with butter (which I melted at low temperature), honey, cinnamon and vanilla syrups (both from B.G. Reynolds), and allspice dram (St Elizabeth). I found that half the mix recipe in Sippin' Safari was just enough for two drinks. The other ingredients are a blend of gold Puerto Rican-style rum (I use Flor de Cana gold for that purpose), Demerara rum (El Dorado 5) and gold Jamaican rum (Appleton 12) plus orange and lime juice, and falernum. The ingredients are blended for about 30 sec and then strained (maybe to remove unmelted chunks of butter but that was an unnecessary step for me).

Posted Image

The verdict? This cocktail achieves a great balance between spicy (typical flavor profile for a Don the Beachcomber creation with the cinnamon and allspice), boozy (the rums play very well together), tropical (the juices are just enough to make the drink very easily sippable), rich and slightly sweet (with the touch of butter, honey and vanilla).

#228 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Don's Beach Planter
In typical tiki fashion, this elixir combines no fewer than 8 ingredients. The liquor mix is mostly aged rhum agricole (I used St James Hors d'Age) plus dark Jamaican (Appleton 12) and brandy (I used Remy Martin vsop cognac). For the fruit, we have pineapple juice, lime juice and passion fruit syrup. The spice is provided by the Angostura bitters and herbsaint (I used pastis).

Posted Image

I thought that this was a robust drink which highlighted the rhum agricole. The passion fruit is in the background, not really identifiable, while the rhum and spices are more prominent. For some reason the St James tends to get lost in the Trader Vic Mai Tai, but it was very good in this drink. Looking up mentions of this drink online, I later found that Jeff Berry had described it as having a "piratical pleasing taste", which is quite an accurate description.

#229 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

After the cornucopia of ingredients in Don's Beach Planter, I was looking for something a little more streamlined that would still feature Don's characteristic flavor profile. On paper, the Donga Punch seems to fit that purpose with just four ingredients: aged rhum agricole (I used St James), lime juice, grapefruit juice (Oro Blanco) and cinnamon syrup. A funky rum with the grapefruit + cinnamon combo that is seen in so many creations by Donn Beach.

Posted Image

It was ready in a couple of minutes. I really enjoyed it. For me it evoked a spicy Mai Tai, a huge compliment as the Mai Tai is one of my favorite tiki drinks. My husband did not think it was quite in the same league as the 1934 Zombie, Don's masterpiece, but I feel that it is close - and a lot faster to make! I am adding it to my list of favorites.

Here is the recipe as posted by bmdaniel a while back on this thread (it's from Sippin' Safari):

Donga Punch

3/4 ounce fresh lime juice
1 1/2 ounce Don's mix (2 parts grapefruit juice to 1 part cinnamon infused sugar)
1 1/2 ounce aged Martinique rum (St. James Extra Old)

This was kind of like a smokey Hemingway Daiquri with cinnamon stepping in for the Maraschino - would probably be even more interesting if the cinnamon was more pronounced than it turned out in my version.

Note that with the cinnamon syrup that I used (B.G. Reynolds), the cinnamon flavor was quite pronounced, the way I expected it to be, and I did not have to adjust the recipe.

#230 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

The Donga Punch was wonderful but my husband wanted something with even more punch (pun unintended), so I made a Nui Nui last night. I had not had one in a while. It has cinnamon, pimento dram, Angostura bitters and vanilla. The recipes calls for "amber Virgin Islands rum" (code name for Cruzan?) - I used Flor de Cana gold. The juices are orange and lime.

Posted Image

It was super flavorful indeed. It was interesting to read how Jeff Berry spent years trying to decrypt the Nui Nui recipe which called for "Donns' spices #2" (code for pimento + vanilla). Apparently the bartenders who worked for Don did not know what these mixes contained as they were delivered already prepared... It's a good thing that Jeff Berry was able to finally crack the code, otherwise some of these recipes would have been lost forever.

#231 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

A Navy Grog with Appleton 12, El Dorado 12 and Havana Club Anejo Blanco...

Posted Image
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#232 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

Mmm, three great rums! What's the recipe?

#233 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Mmm, three great rums! What's the recipe?

1 oz each of the rums, 1 oz honey syrup (1:1), 3/4 oz white grapefruit juice, 3/4 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz club soda and I read a suggestion somewhere here on eGullet that a 1/4 oz of pimento dram is a nice addition so I did that as well.
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#234 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

The Big Bamboo from Sippin' Safari, a "secret" recipe from the Mai-Kai. Lime, orange, grapefruit, passion fruit, dark rum (Appleton 12) and gold (Flor de Cana) rums, angostura bitters.

Posted Image

Grapefruit-forward but well balanced, good level of spice, refreshing and very smooth.

#235 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Last night I tried a very simple drink from Jeff Berry's Tiki+ app, Jasper's Jamaican (based on a creation by Jasper LeFranc). A daiquiri sweetened with allspice dram and a touch of simple syrup. Grated nutmeg on top.

8633662858_13782d5ed2_z.jpg

Quite bold. Not paticularly subtle, but it works. Not bad for a Monday.

#236 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

Yesterday's tiki cocktail was Steve Crane's Molokai Mule (via Jeff Berry) with cognac, Demerara and light Puerto Rican rums (I cheat and use Flor de Cana for the Puerto Rican rum), orange and lime juice, homemade orgeat. Very smooth with a nice texture from the orgeat.

8636740988_f7b7344531_z.jpg

#237 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

I've noticed you use the Clement Creole Shrubb as a sub for Curaçao in your mai tais - is that because it's rum based?

#238 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:50 AM

I've noticed you use the Clement Creole Shrubb as a sub for Curaçao in your mai tais - is that because it's rum based?

Exactly; it's made with rhum agricole so it seems like a natural fit in a Mai Tai. Cointreau also works well but the Creole shrubb is usually my first choice for a Mai Tai. Cointreau is pure orange while the Creole shrubb brings a little more complexity.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 12 April 2013 - 12:52 AM.

#239 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Does it play well in non-rum based drinks?

#240 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 643 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

I think it plays well with bourbon and rye. You need to be careful substituting it for other orange liqueurs, though; it's intense and requires some adjustment. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937