Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#421 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:30 AM

Why don't I make more of these...

Well, in my case I am out of white grapefruit.  However, speaking soberly, while the ancient mariner is in no way a bad drink, it is totally inferior to a zombie.

#422 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:45 AM

Death & Co favors pink grapefruit, for what that's worth. I pretty much never see white ones around here anyway.

#423 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

Last night's Three Dots and a Dash with Clement VSOP, El Dorado 8, orange & lime, homemade falernum, allspice dram, honey syrup, Angostura bitters.

I forgot to try the McGee version so I will have to make another one again soon.

15888831048_67c75109d9_z.jpg

• Hassouni and Rafa like this

#424 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

My usual beverages are mai tai's.  (Not that this should be news to much of anyone.)  There are many other drinks I like, but when one can have a mai tai, why bother?  Indeed tonight's research is comparing Pusser's vs Lost Spirits navy style...though I'm not sure comparing mai tais sequentially is statistically correct.

Anyhow there is one other beverage I occasionally crave:  namely a zombie.  The problem is I have no white grapefruit.  Is there any substitution in the zombie for grapefruit?  I suppose I should just break down and order some.  Though I know from sad experience that unless I really, really apply myself some of the grapefruit are bound to rot.

Anyhow, as the result of my experiment, Pusser's now tastes too sweet following Lost Spirits.  At least until I try to stand up.

#425 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

This is too sweet.  I'm pretty sure I measured accurately.  But something is off.  Tonight's first mai tai using Lost Spirits was really good.  Recipe:

1 oz Neisson Reserve Speciale

1 oz S&C

1 oz Lost Spirits Navy Style

1/2 oz Grand Marnier

1/2 oz orgeat

1 oz lime (generous)

Purple straw in both cases.  For some reason I can't drink the Pusser's version.  What have I done wrong??  I should add I am fond of Pusser's.  Not to excess, of course.

#426 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

It was through an heroic effort that I got a potable drink.  Don't ask me to list the ingredients.

Still thinking of a zombie.

#427 KD1191

KD1191
  • participating member
  • 965 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:23 PM

Last night's Three Dots and a Dash with Clement VSOP, El Dorado 8, orange & lime, homemade falernum, allspice dram, honey syrup, Angostura bitters.

I forgot to try the McGee version so I will have to make another one again soon.

Or, you could try the eponymous cocktail for his new spot, Lost Lake:

2 oz Appleton V/X
3/4 oz Passion Fruit Syrup (B.G. Reynolds’)
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/4 oz Maraschino
1/4 oz Campari

Shake with ice, strain over crushed ice.

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this
True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour