Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#361 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Details on the homemade curacao?

Jerry Thomas's recipe.  Go here and scroll down to recipe 188 on page 73 (for some reason searching the book, even for 'Curacoa' as Thomas spells it, is unreliable).

If you're in, or visiting, or know somebody from, New Zealand there's a 'commercial' version available from the man who makes Gunpowder Rum.

• Craig E likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#362 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:58 PM

Jerry Thomas's recipe.  Go here and scroll down to recipe 188 on page 73 (for some reason searching the book, even for 'Curacoa' as Thomas spells it, is unreliable).

Excellent! Now let's see, where did I leave my carbonate of potash...?

Edited by Craig E, 14 July 2014 - 10:59 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#363 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Excellent! Now let's see, where did I leave my carbonate of potash...?

I found mine at a brewing supplies shop.  And I found a much larger pot of alum than I'm likely to need at a pharmacist's.

The two tricky parts are figuring out what whiskey to base it on, and measuring in drachms.  I've had it made with Ardbeg, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

• Craig E likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#364 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Sadly kind of sorry looking mint.  Half the bunch rots before, try as I might, I can use it up.  

Time to get into mojitos and mint juleps?

#365 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

Believe me, I can stuff an awful lot of mint into a mai tai or zombie.  It's just that it's difficult to have more than a few of these a night:

1 1/2 oz Appleton 12

1 1/2 oz Flor de Cana 12

1 oz Lemon Hart 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

1 1/4 oz fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

10 ml fresh white grapefruit juice

5 ml tincture of cinnamon

1 dash Angostura

12 drops Jade 1901

Flor de Cana is new for me.  I like this a lot, even at low proof.  Though I suspect I would like it even better with a funkier Jamaican than Appleton.

But the important thing is I now have several delightful zombie variations.

#366 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Stephen Remsberg's Planter's Punch from Beachbum Berry Remixed: dark rum (Coruba), lime juice, simple syrup and Angostura bitters. I had tried it previously with Cruzan Black Strap.

It's fine but the limitations of this rum are kind of obvious in the drink. It starts pretty big and then you get some burnt caramel notes that I did not find completely pleasant. I think I would enjoy it more in combination with another rum, or maybe I am just getting really picky.

14687629675_9b904f3517_z.jpg

#367 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

1 1/2 oz S&C

1 1/2 oz Flor de Cana 12

1 oz Lemon Hart 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

3/4 oz fresh lime juice (generous, maybe a scant full ounce...let's call it 25 ml)

1 teaspoon grenadine

10 ml fresh white grapefruit juice

5 ml tincture of cinnamon

1 dash Angostura

12 drops Jade 1901

New bunch of mint tonight.  As nice as this, I think I slightly prefer Neisson Reserve Speciale to Flor de Cana 12.

#368 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I made a batch of Grenadine the other day with POM Wonderful to Morganthaler's recipe, so my Manager and I shared a Zombie

1.5 oz Havana 7

1.5 oz Appleton V/X

0.75 oz Skipper

0.75 oz Uncle Wray

0.75 oz Falernum

0.75 oz Grapefruit

1.00 oz Lime

0.50 oz Grenadine

0.25 oz Demerara Syrup

Some Absinthe Bitters (Employees Only, but with Vegetal Elixier, not Green Chartreuse.)

Some Angostura Bitters.

I just noticed, that's an awful lot of grapefruit.  Did you use white grapefruit or sweet grapefruit?  I use 10 ml white grapefruit juice in my recipe.  (Though sadly I have only about a dozen white grapefruit left, and the season doesn't start again till next winter.)  As it happens I squeezed an extra 5 ml tonight, and since it doesn't keep, I used the excess as a float.  So far so good.

The rums tonight are Neisson Reserve Speciale, Appleton 12, and Lemon Hart 151.  Very nice.

My former logic for the times when I expressed a little extra grapefruit was to mix up a second zombie.  Maybe it's old age but I find brain function and two zombies can be mutually exclusive.

#369 scratchline

scratchline
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

The Sirocco

2 parts Flor de Cana Gran Reserva 7

1 part Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur

1 part fresh lime juice

1 part fresh orange juice

1 part passionfruit syrup

.5 part Campari

Shake ingredients with ice and strain over fresh ice in a Hurricane glass, garnish with a cocktail umbrella, and orange slice and an edible orchid.

From the Solerno site.  An excellent tiki style cocktail.  Made it with Havana Club 7 and China Martini.  And no orchid.  

Maybe a little sweet but other than that, well nigh perfect.

-Mike

Edited by scratchline, 30 July 2014 - 05:28 PM.

• Rafa likes this

#370 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

When -- through a purple straw -- I sipped tonight's zombie...it didn't taste quite right.  Nor did it take too long to realize I had left out the grenadine!  Either I am incompetent or I just don't drink enough.  I guess I was too concerned with the fruit flies in the lime juice.

But this got me to thinking:  in the 1930's, when Don called out for grenadine, exactly what was he specifying?  Real grenadine?  Raspberry syrup?  Colored sugar water?  I was so young and innocent in the first half of the last century.

I didn't bother to reshake.  But I stirred in some grenadine and a bit of raspberry syrup, and the drink tastes pretty good. Certainly more than OK.

#371 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 465 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

I just noticed, that's an awful lot of grapefruit.  Did you use white grapefruit or sweet grapefruit?  I use 10 ml white grapefruit juice in my recipe.  (Though sadly I have only about a dozen white grapefruit left, and the season doesn't start again till next winter.)  As it happens I squeezed an extra 5 ml tonight, and since it doesn't keep, I used the excess as a float.  So far so good.

That would have been pink grapefruit, and I tend to use a little extra anyway. I don't like it getting lost.

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#372 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

For pink grapefruit I'd think one would want to use a lot as pink is not strong flavored the way white grapefruit is.  (Note, I am not quite sure how much is "a lot".)

#373 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Here is the Tiki concoction which concluded for me the celebrations of Tiki Oasis on Sunday. Don the Beachcomber's Cobra Fang (~ 1937) with Lemon Hart 151 as the base, lime juice, orange juice (blood), passion fruit syrup (B.G. Reynolds), falernum, absinthe (St. George), Angostura bitters. Shaken on ice, strained onto fresh crushed ice. I did a spray of absinthe on the finished drink in addition to what was already specified in the recipe.

As a side note, the drinks in the "Fang" family seem to contain passion fruit as a common element.

Although it is pretty nice, it would be improved by the use of homemade falernum (I was out). Also I think that I am tiki'd out after 4 days in tiki-land, at least for the time being.

14953755835_db6aebb3f0_z.jpg

• FauxPas and lesliec like this

#374 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

No photos - a couple of Mai Tais courtesy of Ballast Point last Saturday at Tiki Oasis. Their Mai Tai mix has received some press and a prize at the San Francsico spirits competition. Well, it has a pretty pinkish color and a fresh guava taste, and it yields a nice tropical drink, but not an authentic Mai Tai. It does not have the required acidity and I could hardly detect any orange. They use their Three Sheets rum in a 1:2 ratio (rum to mix).

I should have remembered that I did not care for their gin before ordering a Singapore Sling, but it was too sweet to be palatable in any case.

I also had a Mai Tai at Bali Hai at the opening party. These are never very good, although they are quite strong as advertised. Their rum combo is Coruba + Ron Rico Light. They don't measure so there is a huge variation between drinks. A friend got a Zombie that she had to send back. The Goof Punch is usually a safer bet. Sadly they no longer have the Missionary's Downfall on their menu.

Bali Hai (see here for more/better photos of the restaurant, which is quite stunning).

14796557589_f0c12443ec_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 20 August 2014 - 01:35 PM.

• FauxPas and Rafa like this

#375 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

These were pre-TikiO drinks from last week, to get us in the mood.

Dolores Park Swizzle in the front (made with La Favorite), and Hart of Darkness in the tiki mugs (1 oz each Lemon Hart 151 and El Dorado 5, Australian costal honey, skipped the soda water). Two diametrically opposite drinks (on purpose). The first one fresh and grassy, the second deep and almost tannic, both with lots of intriguing flavors.

14727028567_1ffb9d71a8_z.jpg

• FauxPas likes this