Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Tiki Drink Discussion Topic

• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#331 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:15 PM

Started my Zombie adventure tonight with the 1934 Zombie Punch recipe (Link)

1.5 Oz White Rum (Angostura)

1.5 Oz Gold Rum (Appleton V/X)

1 Oz Lemonhart 151

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Don's Mix (I approximated with homemade cinnamon syrup and red grapefruit - white unavailable)

0.5 Oz Falernum (Velvet)

1 tsp Grenadine

1/8 tsp Absinthe (2 spritzes of Kubler)

1 ds Angostura Bitters

Blend with 0.75 cup ice (I shook with fresh ice and strained over crushed. I need to buy a blender)

Woof, I now understand the two drink limit, as this is three drinks in one. The drink is nicely complex, but I do wish I had access to white grapefruit. Unfortunately no grocery stores near me stock them. Also I fear the limes I am getting now are a bit sub par. Still, the homemade cinnamon syrup lights up this drink, as does the small amount of absinthe. Oddly balanced despite all the rum.

On to the other recipes. This is going to be a fun exploration.

• Hassouni likes this

#332 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

It is fun, but 1934 is the best. the 1951 one is good, and less of a hassle to make, but it lacks something

#333 Czequershuus

Czequershuus
  • participating member
  • 179 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

On to the 1950 Spievak Zombie. 

1 Oz White Rum (Cruzan White)

1 Oz Gold Rum (Appleton V/X)

1 Oz Lemon Hart 151

1 Oz Lime Juice

1 Oz Lemon Juice

1 Oz Passion Fruit Syrup

1 Oz Pineapple Juice

1 tsp Demerara Syrup (Turbinado)

1 ds Angostura Bitters

Once again I shook with fresh ice and strained over crushed. Much less complex, but still a pleasing drink. I like the greater sour element here, but I feel like the large amount of pineapple mutes the other flavors too much. The passion fruit syrup does have a fantastic affinity for each other, as I saw when I had the Hart of Darkness earlier in this thread. 

Of the two I have had so far, I prefer the first for its spicy complexity. However, I still have at least two other versions to try.

#334 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

If I've counted right I may have reached the two zombie limit.  Unlike a mai tai I seldom mess with a zombie, keeping with Beachbum Berry's recreation of Don's 1934.  A long fourteen years before I was born.  Though I still affirm Berry's use of the blender is an anachronism.

For tonight's second zombie I played with Smith & Cross.  I measured carefully but I don't recall exactly what it was I measured.

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#335 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Trader Vic's Eastern Sour from Beachbum Berry Remixed: bourbon (Wild Turkey 101), orgeat (walnut, homemade), orange juice, lemon juice, simple syrup. I was a little short on the orange juice so I may actually have made a St. Nick Sour, which is essentially the same thing with less juice.

I've been making Eastern Sours regularly in the summertime. There is orange juice in there but it works because there is a bunch of lemon juice too to give acidity. It's a good tiki drink for people who don't care for rum (I have at least one such friend).

14239612976_6021ca8567_z.jpg

#336 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 04:25 PM

Started my Zombie adventure tonight with the 1934 Zombie Punch recipe (Link)

1.5 Oz White Rum (Angostura)

1.5 Oz Gold Rum (Appleton V/X)

1 Oz Lemonhart 151

0.75 Oz Lime Juice

0.5 Oz Don's Mix (I approximated with homemade cinnamon syrup and red grapefruit - white unavailable)

0.5 Oz Falernum (Velvet)

1 tsp Grenadine

1/8 tsp Absinthe (2 spritzes of Kubler)

1 ds Angostura Bitters

Blend with 0.75 cup ice (I shook with fresh ice and strained over crushed. I need to buy a blender)

Just a note that the specified rum mix for the 1934 is gold Puerto Rican, amber or dark Jamaican, and 151 Demerara. The white rum in the link is atypical.

Oh, and you don't really need a blender. I have one but I just do what you do - shake with fresh ice, and strain over crushed. Works great.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 30 May 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#337 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

I've been using Brugal Anejo as my "gold Puerto Rican".  However I wanted to explore the boundaries of the zombie without violating the recipe.  In the past I had tried Atlantico Private Cask for the specified gold Puerto Rican, but Atlantico is a bit too sweet for me, even though I use tincture of cinnamon rather than Don's cinnamon syrup.

Tonight I went with Plantation 3 for the gold Puerto Rican.  This zombie is a tad too tart but very nice.  Plantation 3 is not quite gold, though a certain yellow hue.  Plantation 3 has some age and character.

As the level went down a bit I poured in some Atlantico as a sweetener.  This is nice.  Maybe half Atlantico and half Plantation 3 would be a compromise?  Unfortunately I can't find a source of the Brugal good stuff.

What other rums would quality as "gold Puerto Rican"?

I still maintain a blended 1934 zombie is an anachronism on the part of Beachbum Berry.

#338 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

I am available wherever a white Puerto Rican is called for. 

• FrogPrincesse, haresfur, ChrisTaylor and 2 others like this

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#339 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:17 PM

If only you were a girl, Rafa.  On the whole my zombies tonight were a disappointment.  Sometimes we fail so that we might learn.

After the apocalypse I went with a mai tai, tried and true:

3/4 oz Pusser's

3/4 oz Ruhm JM

3/4 oz Smith & Cross

3/4 oz W&N
1/2 oz Grand Marnier
3/4 oz fresh lime juice

1/2 oz orgeat

But something is not right?  I may have mismeasured, or perhaps it is because I used the same ice from the last zombie?  Life is unfair.  But at least limes are cheap again.

#340 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Coco de Agua (Charles H. Baker Jr, Bartender's Choice version) for a tiki party this weekend. 

El Dorado 3 white demerara rum, coconut water, lime juice, simple syrup, soda water. The coconut and buttery notes of the rum were great in this drink.

14183834000_33678d12fa_z.jpg

• Plantes Vertes likes this

#341 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 728 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:55 PM

What other rums would quality as "gold Puerto Rican"?

Flor de Cana 4yo gold, despite being from Nicaragua, works well for me as a sub for Brugal. As do Cuban rums if you have access to them. Theoretically a bit of a different style from the Puerto Rican rums but they seem pretty similar to me.

Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva (a "solera" aged rum) also works as do other Dominican rums like Bermudez and Barcelo although they tend to be harder to find in the US (Kirk & Sweeney rum is likely 12yo Bermudez rum. Haven't tried it in a Zombie). Some might say these are more in the Cuban style than the Puerto Rican style. Again not sure there is a ton of difference. Puerto Rican rums tend to be a bit lighter I suppose. Then again Bacardi is made in Puerto Rico but considered to be a Cuban style and is as light as they come in their basic versions.

Oddly enough the ones I don't really recommend are the Puerto Rican gold rums! Some people seem to feel Don Q is the best of the bunch (certainly a big seller on the island) but I find Ron del Barrilito pretty decent if you can find it and prefer it over Don Q or Bacardi.

I suppose Cruzan is also a Puerto Rican/Cuban style rum as well. The Single Barrel is the only one I have used with and regularity in the past although they do make a 2yo "dark aged rum" that would likely be the closest to a Puerto Rican gold rum in a pinch.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#342 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Barrilito is entirely atypical of PR rums, note. Don Q Añejo is not bad...and as much as I hate to support them, I've heard good things about Bacardi 8

Edited by Hassouni, 15 June 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#343 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

Pampero Especial would work on the cheap.  Also, Santa Teresa.

You could use Trinidad or Bajan rum too.

Bacardi 8 is a good product, but the Bacardi yeast is pretty distracting.  

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#344 tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2
  • participating member
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:28 AM

Barrilito is entirely atypical of PR rums, note. Don Q Añejo is not bad...and as much as I hate to support them, I've heard good things about Bacardi 8

Good point. I think that is what makes it so much better to me than other PR rums!

I have the same trouble giving Bacardi much credit but agree the Bacardi 8 is fairly decent if you avoid looking at the label...

• Hassouni likes this
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

#345 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

It seems I even have trouble assembling a zombie cold sober.  I realized that I used only one ounce Atlantico (which was tonight's stand in for gold Porto Rican) instead of one and a half ounces.  Rather than fetch the bottle of Atlantico a second time I simply put in two ounces of Appleton 12, rather than an ounce and a half.

This was perhaps my finest zombie yet:

2 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Atlantico Private Cask

1 oz Lemon Hart 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

3/4 oz lime juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

10 ml white grapefruit juice

5 ml tincture of cinnamon

1 dash Angostura

12 drops Jade 1901*

Garnish of fresh mint.  Typically my zombies slide down pretty quickly, but I am savoring this.  The glass is half empty and almost all the ice is gone.  (And, yes, I strained onto fresh ice!)

Meanwhile I am still searching for the apotheosis of golden Puerto Rican run.

*Unlike a true volume measurement, drop size has a lot to do with surface tension.  I suspect Don was not using Jade 1901 when he called for six drops.  Jade has a lot of good things, but surface tension is not among them.

#346 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Regarding gold Puerto Rican rum in tiki drinks, I have tried a variety of light gold rums. Someone gave me a bottle of Cruzan aged so I used that for a while. Then I tried Flor de Cana gold but it was a little bland for my taste and I didn't feel compelled to buy another bottle (I love their white however). Lately I've been using Plantation Barbados 5 years with good results.

Jeff Berry's Total Tiki app recommends Bacardi 8 and Ron del Barrilito 2 or 3 stars, with Cruzan, Flor de Cana, and Santa Teresa anejo as acceptable substitutes.

#347 Rafa

Rafa
  • participating member
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

As unpatriotic as this is, I usually use Plantation Barbados 5 year as well, with occasional substitutions of Barrilitos 2 and 3.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

#348 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

A Scorpion last night, following the "improved" 1958 recipe from the Luau, not the original Trader Vic version which I have yet to try.

Beefeater gin, Plantation Barbados 5 yr rum (as a sub for gold Puerto Rican rum), Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, orange juice, lime juice, homemade orgeat, simple syrup. It was shaken with ice cubes and strained onto fresh crushed ice (I didn't use a blender). Please imagine a gardenia flower floating in the middle of the bowl.

It was very tasty and dangerous, as it should be.

14444847091_4772d37ebb_z.jpg

#349 Adam George

Adam George
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

I made a batch of Grenadine the other day with POM Wonderful to Morganthaler's recipe, so my Manager and I shared a Zombie

1.5 oz Havana 7

1.5 oz Appleton V/X

0.75 oz Skipper

0.75 oz Uncle Wray

0.75 oz Falernum

0.75 oz Grapefruit

1.00 oz Lime

0.50 oz Grenadine

0.25 oz Demerara Syrup

Some Absinthe Bitters (Employees Only, but with Vegetal Elixier, not Green Chartreuse.)

Some Angostura Bitters.

• FrogPrincesse likes this

The Dead Parrot
Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Cocktails, Craft Beers, English Wines in provincial Sussex 

#350 malarkey

malarkey
  • participating member
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

Love your tiki glass collection, frog. I have the "Mr Bali Hai" mug ~ obtained it on my last visit to Shelter Island this past winter :->

Born Free, Now Expensive

#351 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

I tested this again:

2 oz Appleton 12

1 oz Atlantico Private Cask

1 oz Lemon Hart 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

3/4 oz lime juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

10 ml white grapefruit juice

1 dash Angostura

12 drops Jade 1901

Still pleased with it as my best attempt, but I'm yet hoping for something even better.

#352 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Love your tiki glass collection, frog. I have the "Mr Bali Hai" mug ~ obtained it on my last visit to Shelter Island this past winter :->

Thank you. Mr. Bali Hai and his companion, The Goof, are my two favorite tiki mugs.

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 08 July 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#353 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

A Donga Punch with La Favorite Coeur de Rhum, grapefruit and lime juice, cinnamon syrup. I went with the recipe from Total Tiki (also here) but it seemed a little sweet. I will reduce the cinnamon syrup a bit next time.

14583860325_14a32b2d17_z.jpg

• Rafa likes this

#354 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Earlier last week, Brian's Miller's take on the Zombie, Gantt's Tomb. Rye (Bulleit, although high proof like Rittenhouse would be best) and black rum (Coruba) for the base, plus the mandatory 151 Demerara rum (Lemon Hart). Pineapple, orange, and lemon for the juice; pimento liqueur for the spice. It's one of the rare tiki drinks with whiskey, with the Eastern Sour.

It works, although nothing will ever surpass the original 1934 Zombie in terms of complexity.

14515516536_7c941a1617_z.jpg

#355 FrogPrincesse

FrogPrincesse
  • society donor
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

I am so pleased because there is finally a great place for Tiki drinks in San Diego (and I am no talking about my house!). Ironside Fish & Oyster opened in April and it checks all the boxes for me. Their food menu, as the names implies, is focused on fresh seafood with anything from shellfish platters to spot prawns and lobster rolls (since it's the drinks forum I won't go into details here). The cocktail menu is extremely ambitious so I had my doubts. It's a large booklet with what looks like about 50 cocktails: sparkling and non-sparkling apéritifs, sherry cobblers, plays on classics, digestifs, and a good tiki selection. Here are a few pages to give you an idea.

14413074748_fa1bd11ba6_z.jpg

14597736044_1a4dc6e209_z.jpg

And I am very happy to report that the Tiki drinks are awesome. They recipes are spot-on and you can tell that they use excellent ingredients. I imagine that they must pre-batch to some extent because, even though the restaurant was quite busy, the drinks arrived very quickly. They had 5 or 6 bartenders behind the bar so that must have helped too. I just pray that they manage to maintain that level of quality.

Here is their signature Mai Tai on the left (Clement VSOP + Hamilton back rum), and Three Dots and a Dash on the right.

14599675965_0a99073425_z.jpg

Crosswind on the left (not really tiki per se - more like a Last Word with Smith & Cross and falernum), and Fog Cutter on the right.

14597737384_c67367c4c3_z.jpg

Cool tiki mugs, fancy garnishes - it's all there.

I have a feeling I am going to be there quite a bit!

Edited by FrogPrincesse, 11 July 2014 - 12:53 PM.

• Hassouni likes this

#356 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:45 PM

OK, that settles it - I'm coming to visit.  That skull mug for the Fog Cutter is fantastic, and there are a couple of things on the list (Thunder Child, Jack Ketch) that might fit very well into our growing steampunk cocktail list.

To return to our scheduled program ... every now and then I just have to break out the tiki mugs and have one of my celebrated (by me) Mai Tais.  I've had a cold this week, so a couple of nights ago was just such an occasion.  I tweaked it a little this time; W&N, Appleton 12, Inner Circle, Curaçao, falernum and orgeat (the last three homemade).  God, that's a nice drink.  Particularly if you're not planning on standing up afterwards.

• FrogPrincesse and Rafa like this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#357 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

God, that's a nice drink.  Particularly if you're not planning on standing up afterwards.[/font]

Come on, man, you didn't test at least three variations of it?
  • Hassouni and JoNorvelleWalker like this
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#358 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

Call me a wimp, but I just don't have the stamina of another eG member who shall remain nameless (except she liked your post).

Anyway, I don't need to play with variations.  Mine's perfect.

• mkayahara and Hassouni like this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#359 JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker
  • participating member
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Trying to improve a zombie may be grasping at straws (as it were) but tonight I switched my rums around:

1 1/2 oz S&C

1 1/2 oz Neisson Reserve Speciale

1 oz Lemon Hart 151

1/2 oz Taylor's Falernum

3/4 oz fresh and inexpensive lime juice

1 teaspoon grenadine

10 ml fresh white grapefruit juice

1 dash Angostura

12 drops Jade 1901

Very happy with this combination.  As best I can recall this is my first zombie that did not use Appleton 12 as the Jamaican rum.   Nice and funky*, rich, and the sweetness is just right.  Sadly kind of sorry looking mint.  Half the bunch rots before, try as I might, I can use it up.  Be assured I shall redouble my efforts.

*As always, the funkiness is helped along by the solvent for the tincture of cinnamon.

Edit:  I would like to acknowledge that this research was in part made possible by the bottle of Smith & Cross I found in the bedroom.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker, 14 July 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#360 Craig E

Craig E
  • participating member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:17 PM

OK, that settles it - I'm coming to visit.  That skull mug for the Fog Cutter is fantastic, and there are a couple of things on the list (Thunder Child, Jack Ketch) that might fit very well into our growing steampunk cocktail list.

To return to our scheduled program ... every now and then I just have to break out the tiki mugs and have one of my celebrated (by me) Mai Tais.  I've had a cold this week, so a couple of nights ago was just such an occasion.  I tweaked it a little this time; W&N, Appleton 12, Inner Circle, Curaçao, falernum and orgeat (the last three homemade).  God, that's a nice drink.  Particularly if you're not planning on standing up afterwards.

Details on the homemade curacao?