Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Why are my pickles hollow?

Condiments

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

I decided to check on the pickles that I have fermenting away in the closet for the past 10 days. I cut one open and found it hollow! I thought this might be a fluke, so I tried another and same thing. I would assume that this might have to do with the fact that the brine is drawing fluid out of the pickle, but will this eventually correct itself?

Thanks,

Dan
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#2 mkayahara

mkayahara
  • participating member
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

In my experience, it probably won't correct itself. I've had this happen to several batches of pickles in the past and, according to my copy of Putting Food By, it comes from the cucumbers sitting around for too long at room temperature before being immersed in the brine. The good news is that you can still eat them, they're just not as nice aesthetically. And be careful biting into them, unless you want to spray your family and friends with pickle brine!
Matthew Kayahara
Kayahara.ca
@mtkayahara

#3 Peter the eater

Peter the eater
  • participating member
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:39 PM

I made a batch of hollow pickles two years ago, by accident. They were fully delicious and the cuke vendor suggested they were harvested a few days too late. Whatever. Slicing them first would give you a heads up.
Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .
Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .
Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

#4 helenjp

helenjp
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

Either of those explanations sound good to me! You can see over-ripe/dehydrated cucumbers pulling apart into their original "segments". The texture might not be as crispy, but they are not spoiled.

#5 westxchef

westxchef
  • participating member
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

They are ready for stuffing with sour cream and bacon.

#6 DanM

DanM
  • participating member
  • 870 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:39 AM

Oh well. It went from farm stand to crock in less than 6 hours. Stuffing them may be an option.

Dan
"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

#7 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

I don't think it is anything you did. I have pickling cukes in my garden and have harvested several that were "hollow"; just a growing condition.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Condiments