Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Report: 2009 Heartland Gathering in Kansas City

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#121 tino27

tino27
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

Not to be a thread hog, but I just received a Tweet from Steve Paul this morning, the reporter from the Kansas City Star who attended all of the events from this year's gathering, and he said that the magazine article he is writing is scheduled to appear on August 30th (assuming it doesn't get bumped).
Food Blog: Exploring Food My Way: Satisfying The Craving -- Exercising my epicurean muscles by eating my way through everything that is edible.
Flickr: Link To My Account
Twitter: @tnoe27

#122 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

The pictures from our amazing brunch at Crum Farm on the final day of the weekend are now up and posted on my blog. Please feel free to stop by and check them out.

You can read about it here: Brunch Is Bountiful

There are also two entries (the previous two before the brunch) that detail our dinner at the 2131 Studio space as well.

View Post

I enjoyed reading such a complete posting of everything I had to miss. I love my job but sometimes - .
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.

#123 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,161 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

Not to be a thread hog, but I just received a Tweet from Steve Paul this morning, the reporter from the Kansas City Star who attended all of the events from this year's gathering, and he said that the magazine article he is writing is scheduled to appear on August 30th (assuming it doesn't get bumped).

View Post

He tweeted about it again today, so it looks like it's still on.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#124 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

He's got a picture of Kerry's curry up! :smile:

#125 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

The whole story is now up: CLICK

Edited to add: No doubt several people will want copies from the print version. If you will contact the newspaper, I would think they would allow you to purchase copies of the magazine only, and send via snail mail for a reasonable fee. If not, contact me and I'll see what kind of plan B I can concoct.

Edited by jgm, 28 August 2009 - 03:40 PM.

#126 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

[irony]Greeaaaaattttt!!!![/irony]

Nice picture of me chowing down on a rib. :hmmm:

I'd like to think they used it because everyone else had bbq sauce on their faces! :laugh:

#127 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Great piece, and some really nice shots, too. What a great time that weekend was -- and Steve Paul's piece brought it all back again. Damn . . . I miss you guys! :smile: :wub:
"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#128 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

YAY! I think they did a nice job overall. I miss Crum Farm. :wub:

#129 moosnsqrl

moosnsqrl
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

YAY! I think they did a nice job overall.  I miss Crum Farm.  :wub:

View Post

you're just sayin' that because they fed you well and didn't make you pull weeds! :biggrin:
Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#130 prasantrin

prasantrin
  • legacy participant
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

YAY! I think they did a nice job overall.  I miss Crum Farm.  :wub:

View Post

I miss Crum Farm, too, and the Crums! That really was the highlight for me--not just because the food was great, but the Crums were so warm and welcoming. My mom really enjoyed talking to Mr. Crum (Jim?).

Marmish--did you notice you were promoted to principal?

#131 jgm

jgm
  • participating member
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Great piece, and some really nice shots, too.  What a great time that weekend was -- and Steve Paul's piece brought it all back again.  Damn . . . I miss you guys! :smile: :wub:

View Post

I was just thinking that, too. Great people, great food. It doesn't get better than that!

#132 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,885 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:05 PM

Nice write up - captured the weekend wonderfully.

I miss everyone - and I miss the BBQ! And the chicharron! I've been thinking a lot about the BBQ.

I went through a serious pork belly phase after my return - made some chicharron - that went over well at work.

#133 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

YAY! I think they did a nice job overall.  I miss Crum Farm.   :wub:

View Post

I miss Crum Farm, too, and the Crums! That really was the highlight for me--not just because the food was great, but the Crums were so warm and welcoming. My mom really enjoyed talking to Mr. Crum (Jim?).

Marmish--did you notice you were promoted to principal?

View Post

That's the easiest promotion I've ever gotten! (I'm the assistant principal, not the principal) Luckily, the crabby parent at school waiting when I got there today didn't know. She wanted the PRINCIPAL, not little old me.

Crum Farm definitely started the let's-run-away-to-the-country-and-have-brunches-and-dinners-and-grow-stuff conversation in my house. Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. I probably should have spent more time really talking to them about the reality, but I was too busy swooning in my own little fantasyland. And eating.

#134 Zeemanb

Zeemanb
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:32 PM

Well I'll be sure and tell the Crums everybody said hello when I see them at the Parkville Market in the morning! :raz:

Gotta get there early........lots of wedding reception dishes for tomorrow depend upon the precious produce.......

#135 moosnsqrl

moosnsqrl
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

Well I'll be sure and tell the Crums everybody said hello when I see them at the Parkville Market in the morning!  :raz:

Gotta get there early........lots of wedding reception dishes for tomorrow depend upon the precious produce.......

View Post

Yes, and it better be good or I'm keeping the gift :laugh:
Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

#136 tino27

tino27
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:15 AM

Darn, I thought I would be breaking the big news when I saw Steve Paul's Facebook link about the article! LOL

I think he did a great job capturing not only the events, but a lot of the personalities, too.
Food Blog: Exploring Food My Way: Satisfying The Craving -- Exercising my epicurean muscles by eating my way through everything that is edible.
Flickr: Link To My Account
Twitter: @tnoe27

#137 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique
  • participating member
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

I've got a copy of the magazine/article if anyone would like it.
Deb
Liberty, MO

#138 Zeemanb

Zeemanb
  • participating member
  • 758 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

Well, my mom called to let me know that the five or so minutes I actually spent working in the kitchen got me a picture in the Star........classic!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report