Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Report: 2009 Heartland Gathering in Kansas City

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#31 Shelby

Shelby
  • society donor
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

Hi everyone! I'm sure enjoying the pictures and updates from this wonderful gathering!!!!! Have fun and eat a few bites for me over here, three hours away from you!

#32 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,548 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:37 AM

Sad I can't be there -- I'm in the western Chicago burbs at another sort of Heartland gathering (more later).

After the first (sample) round, we selected a second round from the menu. I chose the Brothers Perryman, which is a Negroni variant with a touch of Saint Germain in addition to the gin and Campari. Very nice.

Posted Image

View Post

Edsel, do you know the ratios? I've fiddled around with St. G in that and found that you could go with four equal parts. Curious to hear.

My favorite drink from Manifesto was the Smoke 'n Choke.  They smoke their own bourbon - gotta try that when I get home, if I can't talk someone here into trying it first.

View Post

Kerry, they fat-wash their bourbon there, I'm quite sure. Simple technique here. Not sure you can pull it off in a hotel fridge, though!

View Post

Thanks for the info Chris. Ihave got a freezer in my hotel room - actually last night my hotel room was a freezer. I could get a mickey bottle of bourbon, get the bacon fat we render from Ronnie's bacon this afternoon for the bacon bark, slip that into the freezer overnight - Bob's your uncle!

The negroni variation was also a favorite drink and I think I'll use that combination in a Pates de Fruit and also try it in a chocolate center when I get home. Campari is awesome with white chocolate.

#33 ulterior epicure

ulterior epicure
  • participating member
  • 3,811 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:45 AM

I've been enjoying the feed vicariously from my Blackberry. I'm glad to hear that moosnsqrl, Aaron Deacon, and ChefCAG have all worked to welcome you to our humble home in the middlelands.

A few notes:

1. I'm hoping to hear more about Lidia's.

2. I'm glad someone got the Smoke n' Choke at Manifesto. Of the drinks I've had there, it's my favorite. (But I am partial to whiskey.)

3. If any of your flew Southwest Airlines and will be returning home by that carrier, there's an article about cocktails inside with recipes. One of them involves the fat washing method mentioned above by Chris Amirault. (There's also a recipe for Ramos Gin Fizz marshmallow that I'm mildly curious to try at home.)

4. Fat Guy and tino27: You do carbs proud.

5. moosnsqrl: Forget "The Food Network Star," try "Top Chef Masters!" :lol:

6. Burnt ends at LC's are the best. It is my favorite of the BBQ joints in KC (though I have a special place in my heart for the pulled pork and slaw sandwich at Oklahoma Joe's).

ETA: Is there nothing more to say about bluestem?

Edited by ulterior epicure, 25 July 2009 - 06:45 AM.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”
Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

#34 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

A quick stop by Bichelmeyer Meats to pick up the short ribs. Joe Bichelmeyer (second generation owner) gave us a tour of "Rocky's Locker", the aging cooler with lots of hanging beef and pork.

Posted Image

(We didn't buy all of it, though the box of ribs looks pretty substantial.)

Posted Image

Unwrapping a tamal made by Bichelmeyer's daughter in law. We also tried the chicharonnes. Tasty!

#35 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

6. Burnt ends at LC's are the best.  It is my favorite of the BBQ joints in KC (though I have a special place in my heart for the pulled pork and slaw sandwich at Oklahoma Joe's).

Another thank y'all for posting such great info and terrific pictures about the gathering.

And also to add another vote for LC's. It's my favorite as well. When I'm in Missouri, as I often am, I drive from Springfield for LC's.

#36 mamagotcha

mamagotcha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

I'm a little surprised nobody else has posted photos or anything from bluestem... there were certainly enough cameras going off all over the room! I took no notes or pictures, so I'll use the menu to share the meal... others who were there, please chime in with your own memories!

We got there a little early, to indulge in one of their cocktails. The gazpacho martini Judy ordered sounded perfect for a hot evening, and it was... you almost felt virtuous, drinking something that obviously was so good for you.

Right on time, we were ushered into the dining room, which had been set with two long tables in a sort of T arrangement. A third long table was filled with wine and glassware, and there was a lovely sense of anticipation and excitement in the room.

Soon we each were given a little spoon with a cube of compressed watermelon topped with a Crum cherry tomato, Murray River flake salt, and a little fennel blossom (at first I thought it was dill). A very refreshing and delightful bite of summery flavors!

Next up was a tender and sweet bay scallop, with a few of Crum's heirloom beets, Prairie Birthday arugula, and coriander champagne vinaigrette. The smear of beet juice on the long white plate was especially dramatic. Jeremy paired this with Folomari pinot grigio (2007 Venezie, Italy).

This was followed by a chilled tomato gazpacho (deja vu!) with cucumber, onion, and white gazpacho emulsion. (Do I remember some white grapes in there? Did anyone else notice something crunchy... perhaps a few soynuts?) This was paired with a very subtle Coy sake from Japan, which was, as described, very "light & fruity."

Walu (a Hawaiian butterfish) was served with some really wonderful Rancho Gordo vaquero beans, bits of artichoke, and bortarga (described as fish innards that were dried and shaved) with a light and delicate lemon verbena broth. This was paired with Les Domaniers rosé (2008 Cotes de Provence, France).

Then we had what to me was the apex of the evening: Peidmontese beef with rapini, white asparagus, wild local chanterelles, and thin slice of laquercia coppa, with mashed potato foam (seemed a little more substantial than a foam to me), a little dot of reduced wine/balsamic sauce, and a pour of a veal-red wine jus (did I remember that right, fellow diners? Please correct me if I goobered it up). This was perfectly paired with a Banfi Rosso di Montalcino (2006, Tuscany, Italy).

The sous vide peaches with oatmeal struesel cake, cream fraiche, ginger gelee, caramel peach foam and a flavorful gingersnap wafer was definitely improved with the pour of Casali rossa di Banca (Malvasia Dell'emilia, Italy). The peaches were a little disappointing... at least, mine had very little peach flavor, and cooking them didn't improve them any. There was too much cake and it was too dry, making me wish I could have about twice as much of the sweet Casali, which was light and fruity and fizzy. Bill thought it tasted like lychees.

The tiny letdown of the dessert was lifted somewhat by the petit fours: a cute little "burger" of malted buttercream between two tiny chewy chocolate cookies, a crisp little triangle of coconut cookie that tasted a little like shortbread to me, and a super-intense and tangy cube of sugared, jellied passionfruit, far and away my favorite bit of the entire dessert course.

Colby came out to say hi to us, and seemed pleased by the torrential ovation he received. When we stopped by to thank him and say goodnight in the bar, we heard that he and Megan had just found out that the Garralts family will increase to four sometime early next year. Congratulations!

Edited by mamagotcha, 25 July 2009 - 11:07 PM.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

#37 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

mamgotcha: Thanks for the terrific review.

To all my Heartland Posse, party on and tell all. I can't tell you how much I wanted to be there. (Lookin' good, Kerry!)

Heartland Rules.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#38 mamagotcha

mamagotcha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Here's a link to my Flickr photoset from the Gathering dinner.

My apologies for the poor image quality and lack of knowledge of eG names. Also, I didn't take notes on the courses... please, help!

But I just wanted to get some pix up for those who are playing along at home...

#39 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

My apologies for the poor image quality and lack of knowledge of eG names. Also, I didn't take notes on the courses... please, help!

View Post

Mamagotcha, thanks. Even though I had the opportunity to judge some great BBQ at the Whitehorn Cove BBQ Bash yesterday I was supposed to be with you all. sigh. Maybe next year I will be able to join in the fun if schedules permit. And the dinner at Bluestem, I just can't talk anymore.
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.

#40 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

Mamagotcha got it exactly right in my opinion: Bluestem really threw down, radically exceeding my expectations and serving a meal on par with what the better restaurants are doing in the much bigger cities -- where a meal of this caliber would still be quite noteworthy. And the place is deceptive: you wouldn't think from walking in that it would be a Very Serious Restaurant. It feels more like a relaxed neighborhood spot. Not that it's a huge surprise in this day and age to find this juxtaposition of excellent food and casual unpretentiousness, but still it was unexpected.

I agree that the dessert was kind of weak. Can't think of any other real faults, though.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#41 Jean Blanchard

Jean Blanchard
  • participating member
  • 434 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

View Post

Mamagotcha, thanks. Even though I had the opportunity to judge some great BBQ at the Whitehorn Cove BBQ Bash yesterday I was supposed to be with you all. sigh. Maybe next year I will be able to join in the fun if schedules permit. And the dinner at Bluestem, I just can't talk anymore.

View Post

You guys definitely do NOT have enough food! Any talk yet of where the next gathering will be?

#42 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:26 AM

Last night's communally cooked dinner was a meal for the ages. Here's a rundown of what we had, and I hope we'll get lots of additional photographic support eventually. There weren't really any "live-blogging" opportunities because we all worked hard and ate hard, but I assume the information flow will get turned back on later today as people start returning home and slowly recovering.

We had so many items on the hors d'ouevres table that it wasn't truly necessary, or even particularly desirable, to have a meal afterward. I don't have enough fingers, toes and other appendages and protrusions to count up the number of cheeses that nyokie6 provided, no less the condiments and such. The Chris Hennes salami turned out to be quite serious. White Lotus and Dance provided a dizzying array of teas and mamagotcha and co. provided full-on barista services from the get-go. Tino27's focaccia redefined the standard for focaccia. Zeemanb's comparative pork-butt tasting presented little contest -- the real pork was so much better. I imagine that most of the top barbecue places in the country could be significantly improved by switching to better product. (They'd also have to triple their prices). Edsel, who appears to have a profoundly deep relationship with short ribs, started us off with approximately 20 pounds of pastrami-cured short ribs before he headed off to replicate the Gray Kunz short ribs for the final course of the dinner. Kerry made bacon-chocolate bark. There was other stuff as well: some smoked oysters from Lora's dad, a few other things . . . I can't keep track. It was obscene.

We sat down to a welcome smoked-trout canapé and cucumber crudite (Lora and dad).

Course 1 consisted of two interpretations of corn and avocado. Corn was a major ingredient that emerged at the market. It found its way into several dishes. So we had the cold interpretation: corn & avocado soup with cilantro oil (moosnsqrl & jgm). And the hot interpretation: a tempura corn fritter topped with the White Lotus/Dance smoked salmon and an avocado-lemon dressing (Torakris assisted by Chris Hennes, with distant involvement by me). Accompanied by rosemary focaccia (Tino27).

Course 2 was green-chile risotto (Chileheadmike) and platters of cabbage with bacon and roasted vegetables (ronnie_suburban).

Course 3 was strips of griddled cornbread topped with pulled pork, purple-hull beans, green-zebra tomatoes, creme fraiche and cilantro (Aaron Deacon). Accompanied by family-style platters of tomato salad (moosnsqrl & S.O. & jgm).

Course 4 was chicken curry with jasmine rice (Kerry Beal, prasantrin on rice)

Course 5 was Gray Kunz short ribs with Heston Blumenthal mashed potatoes (Edsel, tino27) and patty-pan squash with sesame oil and rice-wine vinegar (mamagotcha).

For dessert we had pie (Lora), peach and blueberry cobblers (nyokie6), chocolate cups and more bacon bark (Kerry Beal).

I'm sure I missed some things and people. Those who provided equipment, logistical support and cleanup services will, as per standard procedure in culinary circles, receive no acknowledgment and remain largely unappreciated, even though the undertaking would not have been possible without them.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

#43 judiu

judiu
  • participating member
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Deeply wishing I had the time and money available to have been there, too! Mamagotcha, that heirloom tomato salad was a thing of beauty; thanks for the pictures :wub: !
"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

#44 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

I'd like a little more info on what appears to be a cold green soup.

Avocado? Broccoli? Celery? Asparagus?

#45 NancyH

NancyH
  • participating member
  • 890 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

View Post

Thanks for the first glimpses. Those of us who had to miss the weekend are waiting with baited breath!

BTW - I'd be glad to help return the gathering to Cleveland next year, or to visit a new city.
"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" (coined while playing with my food at Lolita).

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

#46 Jaymes

Jaymes
  • participating member
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

I'd like a little more info on what appears to be a cold green soup.

Avocado?  Broccoli?  Celery?  Asparagus?

View Post

Corn and Avocado with Cilantro Oil, perhaps?

:biggrin:

#47 joiei

joiei
  • participating member
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

From looking at Mamagotcha's photos, Judy and Jen the soup looks so good, the focaccia and everything, what was the variety of tomatoes in the salad?
It is good to be a BBQ Judge.

#48 torakris

torakris
  • manager
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

I'm back in Cleveland now and just didn't want leave! This was the most incredible weekend. We can't thank Judy and Aaron enough for all of their hardwork. The BBQ blew me away and I could happily eat those burnt ends from LC's everyday for the rest of my life. I can't believe I grew up thinking that Tony Roma's was BBQ....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"
Manager, Membership
kwagner@egstaff.org

#49 ronnie_suburban

ronnie_suburban
  • 5,977 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

It really was a great meal last night -- probably the best Gathering meal I can remember. I think the extra effort that went into planning the menu here beforehand really paid dividends.

Below are shots of the the savory courses. Because the desserts were not brought to the tables (and I'd had quite a bit of bourbon :wink:), I somehow managed to not get shots of the desserts. :sad:

Posted Image
Smoked Trout Canape

Posted Image
Corn & Avocado Soup

Posted Image
Focaccia & Fritter with Hot-Smoked Salmon

Posted Image
Risotto (others at the table tore into this before I could get the shot)

Posted Image
Cabbage with Bacon and Charcoal-Roasted Veggies

Posted Image
Tomatoes

Posted Image
The "jelly bean" Tomato

Posted Image
Cornbread, Okra and Purple-Hull Beans with Pulled Pork

Posted Image
Shrimp Curry (we got shrimp because we had a non-chicken eater at our table)

Posted Image
Short Ribs (potatoes and veggies are somewhere behind there)

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban, 26 July 2009 - 05:18 PM.

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

#50 Chris Hennes

Chris Hennes

Director of Operations

• manager
  • 8,134 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

It was truly a pleasure meeting everyone at the gathering, and I'm sorry to have missed those who couldn't attend this year: thanks especially to Aaron and Judy for arranging everything so well.

I can't wait to see Ron's photos of this morning's brunch, which was also excellent, and certainly the best brunch I've ever had in my life. The Crums were incredibly gracious hosts, and it was wonderful to see the operation they've got growing there (I wish my tomatoes looked as good as theirs!).

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

#51 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:50 PM

Judy and Aaron did a fantastic job organizing this gathering. Many thanks to them and everyone else who made this such a fun event.

I've been uploading photos to imagegullet and Flickr. I'll post some of them here, but others will probably have better pics than I.

Here are a few from today's brunch at Crum Farm at Redbud Hill.

Check out this menu:
Posted Image

What a spread!
Posted Image

Here are some of the gorgeous tomatoes, served with a mayonnaise dressing made with bacon fat. Sort of a sauce gribiche variant, only porky. :smile: You can tell just looking at the tomatoes that they're something special.
Posted Image

We also enjoyed some outstanding pastries. Here is a platter of kouign amann. (The wild blackberry - peach syrup was for the French toast). There was a lovely loaf of challah as well.
Posted Image

The chefs really made an impression here. Every dish was absolutely terrific.

The produce grown on the farm is exceptional. They supply heirloom tomatoes and vegetables to some of the top restaurants in the area. The farm itself is a beautiful setting for a casual meal like this.

Posted Image

#52 maggiethecat

maggiethecat
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

As God is my witness, I'll start a Heartland Gathering Fund, and never miss another. Bluestem, BBQ tour, the Main Event, the brunch: kudos to the organizers.

Another thought for next year's locale: Toronto. It's central and I can beg a room from my rich foodie cousin. And there's a lot shakin' in TO.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."
Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

#53 KatieLoeb

KatieLoeb
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Wow. Just wow. So sorry I couldn't make it to this. It's too close to Tales of the Cocktail to take that much time off from work in the same month. Make the next one in late August or early September and I'll be there with bells on. And I'll happliy bartend to earn my keep. Looks like a blast. Those heirloom tomato salads are so beautiful they took my breath away. Nothing more lovely than good summer tomatoes...

Party on y'all. Let's see/hear some more!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

#54 edsel

edsel
  • participating member
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Because the desserts were not brought to the tables (and I'd had quite a bit of bourbon :wink:), I somehow managed to not get shots of the desserts. :sad:

=R=

View Post

It doesn't surprise me that your photos are much better than mine. :wink:

I have a couple shots of the desserts.

Some yummy pies (who made those?) and Kerry's incredible Bacon Bark, made with Ron's home-cured and -smoked bacon.

Posted Image

In the foreground are two delicious cobblers served with Shatto Dairy cream. I believe that these were made by nyokie6. As if the cheese course she contributed weren't enough!

Posted Image

I didn't get any pics of Kerry's chocolate cups filled with strawberry-rhubarb mousse. Hopefully someone can post some photos of those - they were very pretty. And tasty!

#55 mamagotcha

mamagotcha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

The 2009 eG Gathering: Sunday Brunch at the Crum Heirloom Farm, Bonner Springs KS

(Link goes to a Flickr set with notes)

Deb & Jim Crum were terrific hosts, Dave and his crew created an incredible brunch, and the gardens were magnificent. What an amazing finale to a fantastic weekend!

#56 mamagotcha

mamagotcha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

As per Edsel's request:

Kerry's chocolate cups, unfilled

... and with filling (Strawberry-Rhubarb Mousse, iirc)

#57 mamagotcha

mamagotcha
  • participating member
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

From looking at Mamagotcha's photos,  Judy and Jen the soup looks so good,  the focaccia and everything,  what was the variety of tomatoes in the salad?

View Post

Joiei, you were sorely missed!

The tomatoes were what was left at the Brookside Farmers Market Tomato Festival, once we finally staggered down that direction (maybe 11 or so?). Judy may have a better idea of what was actually purchased; she did the selecting, I was merely the sherpa. I do know the yellow tomato with the reddish stripes on the skin was called a pineapple tomato. When she wakes from her food coma, she might chime in with some more info...

#58 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Looks like you all had an amazing time! I am definitely sad to have missed it (and to have lost my perfect attendance record). I kept myself busy cooking a 9 course dinner for 8 people (link), so I was kind of with you in spirit, at least!

Looking forward to reading the rest of the reports. And happy to bring it back to Ann Arbor in 2010 if folks would like that, but also happy to have it to be elsewhere (and hopefully be able to attend this time!)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

#59 Fat Guy

Fat Guy
  • 29,303 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:06 PM

Some yummy pies (who made those?)

View Post

Those are Lora's pies.

#60 dividend

dividend
  • participating member
  • 351 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

What a fantastic weekend! Hats off to Judy and Aaron - you guys did such a great job highlighting what Kansas City has to offer for everyone, and I love excuses to cram it all into a few days. Although, I think I'm just now coming out of a pork-fat induced coma. :laugh:
"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)
My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Report