Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the society.

Photo

Portion Size

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Schielke

Schielke
  • participating member
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 02:53 PM

Chef Nischan,

I was curious if you think much about healthy portion size in your dishes. America is drunk on large dishes, do you ever feel compelled to offer too much food on the plate?

Thanks for participating!

Ben
Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.
-Mario

#2 Michel Nischan

Michel Nischan
  • legacy participant
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for bringing in size as it does matter. I got tired of watching bussers throw food out long ago. I used to MAKE customers take a doggie bag because I couldn't bear the thought. It's almost as though baby boomers lived through the depression, which they didn't. Size was the security blanket.

Thankfully, more diners are beginning to appreciate substance, intent and composition. We don't serve any protion over 6 oz. and have no guilt about it. I've been thinking of pushing the envelope by highlighting well prepared rice and legume dishes with meats as the "side" and scaling the price accordingly. Someone will probably shoot me or something, but I'm still tempted to do some work in that direction anyway :laugh: