Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Bread Topic

Bread

• Please log in to reply
560 replies to this topic

#211 ChrisTaylor

ChrisTaylor
  • host
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:37 AM

White bread

Posted Image

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

#212 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,913 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:49 AM

One of the best breads I have made in a long time. Here's the recipe. Snagged some starter from another bread baker so was able to make it within a couple of days.

Bread.jpg

crumb.jpg
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#213 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:47 AM

Same loaf as Anna's in the last post.

DSCN2440.jpg

Thos loaf baked in the oven - on a pizza stone, covered with a stainless bowl for the first 20 minutes.

DSCN2441.jpg

These two baked in the Big Green Egg.

DSCN2445.jpg

The crumb.

#214 Ciao Ling

Ciao Ling
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Glad to see others trying Tartine bread with great success (Kerry and Anna). This weekend, I tried Chad Robertson's baguettes. The crumb wasn't very airy/holey which could have been for two reasons, I added an overnight refrigerator retard for the bulk fermentation to his recipe as again I didn't time things well with my schedule. I also didn't pay attention to the recipe and added the salt to the dough at an early stage and not after the dough was already rising in the bulk fermentation. The flavor was great and the caramelization of the crust was also good. Will try it again. I am still a fan of Sam Fromartz's award winning baguette recipe.

Attached Images

• IMG_2947.JPG
  • IMG_2951.JPG

#215 emilyr

emilyr
  • participating member
  • 500 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:00 PM

Here's my first attempt at no-knead bread. It's part rye and part white. I'm not sure if I'm convinced about the recipe yet. I'm not a huge fan of the texture, and the crust doesn't stay crispy for very long.
Posted Image

I did try it a few days later plain and as a cinnamon swirl. I added a tablespoon of sugar to the dough of the cinnamon bread, and I think I liked it better. It seemed to make the bread softer.
"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

#216 Ciao Ling

Ciao Ling
  • participating member
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

First attempt at No-Knead Ciabatta from Lahey's My Bread. I like a darker crust and it caramelized well. Great textured crust and open crumb. I like it a lot and it really is not much fuss. I didn't use Lahey's technique of an inverted clay cover over a baking stone. Similar to steam generation for other breads I make, I adopted rolled up kitchen towels in loaf pans with boiling water. Putting these high hydration loaves on parchment also really prevents sticking with the loading and removal.

Attached Images

• IMG_2953.JPG
  • IMG_2955.JPG

#217 Cass

Cass
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

My latest Ciabatta:

Attached Images

• March 20, 2011 Bread 010.JPG

#218 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

My latest Ciabatta:

Nice finish - crust, slash & dusting. Is that a special knife stroke ?

#219 Cass

Cass
  • participating member
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Nice finish - crust, slash & dusting. Is that a special knife stroke ?

Thank you!

Actually, no real score.

I did a bulk preshape, then carefully cut the dough into two and proofed on a couche for a few hours. The slashes are along my cut lines.

#220 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Another batch of no-knead wholewheat, the first with flour from a new source:

Posted Image

Exactly 2/3 hydration (the flour is 13.5% protein). Mixed, shaped, allowed 3 hours at room temp, baked at 190C for 40 minutes, with a further 10 upside down, turned out of the tins.

Good crust & texture, and a really excellent nutty flavour - a result. I might reduce the in-pan baking time a little next time (with the previous kind of flour, the bottom crust came good in only 5 minutes, so I didn't expect I'd need 10).

Edited by Blether, 18 April 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#221 Pierogi

Pierogi
  • participating member
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

A couple of recent efforts....

First up, a focaccia topped with caramelized onions, pear slices and bleu cheese. YUM ! (recipe's on my *new* blog....)

016.JPG

And a "natural" sourdough. No yeast. Just starter I've had going since December. I finally found a method that gives me a small enough batch to work with, without throwing away half of the starter each time you refresh it. It could be a touch more *sour*, but it's still a pretty darned good loaf.

The loaf....
039.JPG

And the crumb....again, no yeast....
059.JPG

Edited by Pierogi, 18 April 2011 - 10:57 PM.

--Roberta--
"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley
Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

#222 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:19 AM

So, what's in the oven?

For me, it's 7-herb and sundried tomato Foccaccia.

Posted Image
Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#223 Jenni

Jenni
  • participating member
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

What are the 7 herbs?

#224 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Celery leaf, and Chive.

#225 glennbech

glennbech
  • participating member
  • 349 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

Hi,

It's been a while since my last visit here, but I still bake all the bread we eat (and has since 2005) The batch for the next week. Our small family of four need about 4 big loaves to get by. I mostly bake pre-fermented doughs with instant yeast nowdays.

As you probably see slightly under proven and broke during oven spring.

Poolish pre-ferment

300g Rye whole grain
300g Barley whole grain
640ish g of water
1 tsp instant yeast

The rest;

40g salt
1400g White AP wheat flour
700g water (65% hydration total)

Yummy!

Attached Images

• _MG_1676.JPG
  • _MG_1678.JPG

Edited by glennbech, 13 June 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#226 antdad

antdad
  • participating member
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

Some really fine looking breads in this thread...another Jim Lahey "no knead" fan here.

Posted Image

Recipe here...http://greatbread.blogspot.com

#227 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

jmolinari posted a ciabatta recipe on the recipegullet a few years back, and I went ahead and tried it out the other day - it works. Well. He says he's got a better one now, but for a first-timer, I was really happy with this one.

ciabatta2.JPG

#228 lizztwozee

lizztwozee
  • participating member
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

glennbech, do you bake in electric or gas? Your loaves are just beautiful! You must also rise in a vehicle that creates the lovely flour veil with "stripes" -- I'd love to see a shot of that.
Lizz

---
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Wayne Gretzky

#229 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

This is my first attempt at making anything from the Bread Bakers Apprentice. Previously, any baguette type bread I've made was from rather bad formulas from On Cooking or The Professional Chef, very disappointing with the results. But these puppies came out very nicely, I like the rather specific instructions for making the steam (where as the technique from The Professional Pastry Chef didn't seem to yield too good of results). There was a clear, very big difference with these loaves, I do think it's the first time I was able to get a crust I am happy with on a baguette. The recipe was the 'Pain a L'ancienne.'

Attached Images

• First Pain a L\'ancienne.JPG

#230 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 623 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

After cultivating a starter for 2 and a half weeks, I got some time to try out the 15 page tartine bread recipe. At first it was sort of confusing because everything was written in long paragraphs, but the process is basically no different then most recipes. I followed his directions and was very suprised by the outcome, by far the best loaf I have made! I didnt use a combo cooker, but found that the medium sized black steel pans will fit nicely into the oven without the top pans handle being too long. Pleasantly suprised with my first attempt at a bread thats leavened with only natural yeast.

Attached Images

• Tartine Bread.jpg
  • Tartine Bread (2).jpg
  • Tartine Bread (3).jpg
  • Tartine Bread (4).jpg

#231 HowardLi

HowardLi
  • participating member
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Made CI's Rustic Italian Bread last week. It was excellent. Crumb was consistently bubbled and the flavour was up there with some of the best breads I've had for that style.

#232 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

Oma Salome's black bread. Addition of 1 tbsp of malt extract syrup made a huge difference. Apologies for the cruddy pic.

Posted Image

#233 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

I went with a friend to a restaurant supply store today and saw these nice baskets that would work perfect for proofing a loaf, and it wasnt $30! I'm always shocked at how expensive the bannatons are, but this was just a little cracker basket with a pretty tight weave, not perfect, but for $2.50 it did wonderful. So I just made a quick tartine loaf to test it out and was pleased with the result, this loaf was made using 15% rye flour.

Attached Images

• proof.jpg
  • bread.jpg

Edited by minas6907, 11 April 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#234 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

@Isabelle Prescott my mother is making similar as yours and i must admit it is one of my favorites :)

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#235 Jon Savage

Jon Savage
  • participating member
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

This morning's effort (60%ish hydration, naturally leavened):

Attached Images

• baguette.jpg

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

#236 rod rock

rod rock
  • participating member
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

Very nice! It looks crispy :)

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

#237 Okanagancook

Okanagancook
  • participating member
  • 301 posts
  • Location:Naramata overlooking Lake Okanagan, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I am trying to make pita bread. Our friend just built a brick oven and I tried pitas in it last night. White flour only. The oven was around 550 degrees. We only got two out of 7 to puff right up. The others did not puff up totally. Uneven puffing. Any thoughts on why they all didn't puff. Is it the way I rolled them out? All were around 7 inches in diameter and I am using the recipe in Flatbreads and Flavors by J. Alford and N. Duguid.

#238 heidih

heidih
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Okanagancook - there is some discussion about puffing factors in this topic http://forums.egulle...-thin-pita-with

#239 curls

curls
  • participating member
  • 374 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

First time trying out King Arthur Flour's recipe for cinnamon bread. Quite tasty; this recipe is a keeper.

cinnamon bread.jpg

#240 furzzy

furzzy
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:15 PM

Not sure where to post this...just pulled these out of the oven. They're still crackling!

image.jpg

I don't have a steam injection oven. I bake the baguettes on a Fibrament stone set in the very bottom of my oven, no rack. At first, I throw roughly half a cup of water into the oven right over the baguettes, every 3 minutes, three times. The amount of steam give me amazing spring, and by throwing it right onto the dough, it keeps it wet enough to allow the spring.

We don't prefer them quite so dark as they properly should be, so that's why the color may not suit some.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread