Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Bread Topic

Bread

• Please log in to reply
564 replies to this topic

#31 Isabelle Prescott

Isabelle Prescott
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

I have started to paint my risen loaves with water and a pastry brush just before placing them in the oven. This seems to work as well for me as hot or boiling water in the bottom of the oven. Add a second painting of water about 10 minutes into the baking time.

#32 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

Made 100% Whole Wheat Rustic Bread from Peter Reinhart's "Artisan Breads Every Day"

100% Whole Wheat Hearth Bread.jpg

100% Whole Wheat Hearth BreadII.jpg

It smells like heaven in here. I hope I can wait till it cools properly before tearing into it ! :raz:
[size="1"] edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)[/size]

[size="3"]"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill[/size]
[size="4"]Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb[/size]

#33 kellytree

kellytree
  • participating member
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

Bread made this am.

It tastes great.

Last time I made bread I left the little bit of dough (with yeast)stuck on the bowl ... once dry I added some water and used it as a faux starter. Added a bit of water and flour every day for 3 days and then about 1 lb of flour and the water required (and salt) to make a sloppy dough - stuck it in the fridge over night - pulled it out this am- mixed well and then put on a baking sheet - left to rise for about 3 hours - and then in the oven (regular one not the brick).

Despite the big cave between the top crust and crumb I am satisfied with the result.DSCF1330.jpg
  • David Hensley likes this

#34 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Bread made this am.

It tastes great.

Last time I made bread I left the little bit of dough (with yeast)stuck on the bowl ... once dry I added some water and used it as a faux starter. Added a bit of water and flour every day for 3 days and then about 1 lb of flour and the water required (and salt) to make a sloppy dough - stuck it in the fridge over night - pulled it out this am- mixed well and then put on a baking sheet - left to rise for about 3 hours - and then in the oven (regular one not the brick).

Despite the big cave between the top crust and crumb I am satisfied with the result.DSCF1330.jpg

Looks great nice bubbles !
[size="1"] edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)[/size]

[size="3"]"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill[/size]

#35 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Challah from P.R. Artisan Breads Every Day

Before first proof....

Challah_1-10.jpg

Just out of the oven...

Challah-1-10.jpg

#36 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Challah from P.R. Artisan Breads Every Day

Before first proof....

Challah_1-10.jpg

Just out of the oven...

Challah-1-10.jpg

I usually am pretty hard on my cooking results. With that being said, this is equal to the most successful breads, in terms of what was supposed to happen, including adjusting for a mistake or two on my part, that I've made to date. I have not had mainland challah for about 20 years, although I've had our local bagel place's rendition in the last 6 months.
This is the BEST tasting challah bread I remember ever tasting. :raz:
I'm quoting our own Marlene "The Challah bread was a huge hit. Much much better than the recipe in BBA! " And she would know what's good and what's not!

#37 Blether

Blether
  • participating member
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:24 PM

This is the BEST tasting challah bread I remember ever tasting. :raz:

It looks totally professional too. I'm impressed.

#38 Marlene

Marlene
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:20 AM

That looks fabulous! Bravo!
Marlene
cookskorner

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.
Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

#39 Lindsey

Lindsey
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

Anyone got any advice for working with spelt flour? I am trying to find a spelt pita recipe to no avail, have made the straight loaf but was very heavy, good flavour though.

#40 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

By the way, Aloha Steve, leftover Challah makes really good french toast the next day!
Marlene
cookskorner

#41 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:09 PM

By the way, Aloha Steve, leftover Challah makes really good french toast the next day!

And really great lemon bread pudding!

#42 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:11 PM

And really great lemon bread pudding!

They both sound delicious.

#43 CKatCook

CKatCook
  • participating member
  • 594 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:41 PM

I am sorry I don't have any pictures, but I made jalapeno chedder bread. Turned out like heaven!
"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"
-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

#44 baroness

baroness
  • participating member
  • 880 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:46 AM

Toasted Sesame and Sunflower Loaf, from King Arthur Flour's "Whole Grain Baking" -- definitely a keeper! :wub: Next time, I want to add some sort of cooked rice, like one does for Struan.

#45 Beth Wilson

Beth Wilson
  • participating member
  • 278 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Anyone got any advice for working with spelt flour? I am trying to find a spelt pita recipe to no avail, have made the straight loaf but was very heavy, good flavour though.

I am no expert on alternative flours, but I have a couple of books and am going to try. What I have noticed about alot of the recipes is more than one type of flour is used.

If you google 'spelt flour recipes for bread' and a lot of recipes come up. I am planning on trying this one myself - http://www.foodandwi...ney-spelt-bread

I admit I have been procrastinating on baking with alternative flours as most people seem to discuss their first attempts as doorstops. Keep on trying, it seems to be a learn as you go process.

#46 Lindsey

Lindsey
  • participating member
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:11 AM

I am no expert on alternative flours, but I have a couple of books and am going to try. What I have noticed about alot of the recipes is more than one type of flour is used.

If you google 'spelt flour recipes for bread' and a lot of recipes come up. I am planning on trying this one myself - http://www.foodandwi...ney-spelt-bread

I admit I have been procrastinating on baking with alternative flours as most people seem to discuss their first attempts as doorstops. Keep on trying, it seems to be a learn as you go process.

Thanks Beth, I did, however, forget to say I need the recipe to be no sugar or honey, will persevere and report back.

#47 tino27

tino27
  • participating member
  • 831 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

I have started to paint my risen loaves with water and a pastry brush just before placing them in the oven. This seems to work as well for me as hot or boiling water in the bottom of the oven. Add a second painting of water about 10 minutes into the baking time.

At 10 minutes into the baking process, any ovenspring you hope to achieve will be complete. Repainting the loaves with water isn't necessary at this point. The nice thing about throwing a 1/2 cup of hot water onto a pre-heated pan is that you can do it quickly so as to minimize heat loss in the oven.
Food Blog: Exploring Food My Way: Satisfying The Craving -- Exercising my epicurean muscles by eating my way through everything that is edible.
Flickr: Link To My Account
Twitter: @tnoe27

#48 robirdstx

robirdstx
  • participating member
  • 886 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Simple Crusty Bread - this is the first bread loaf I have attempted in over 30 years. The first one had made a very good doorstop - I had no clue about yeast and killed it very well! I think I did better this time. :smile:
SimpleCrustyBread-01.jpg

We liked the crust but the crumb, though moist, was denser (heavier) than we were hoping for. Suggestions for improvement are most welcome.
SimpleCrustyBread-02.jpg

#49 Isabelle Prescott

Isabelle Prescott
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:52 PM

Painting with water twice DSCN0983.JPG gives me a chewier crust. I don't know that it has anything to do with oven spring. I'm not an expert... just an experimenter. :biggrin:

#50 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:49 PM

Made two completely different types of bread today.

This is call Raisin Rye and it looks great. Looks like a big muffin top !

Raisen_Rye.jpg

This next bread is called "Warm Comfort Bread"..its a sour dough, no added yeast bread. So far, I am 3 for 3 for breads using a starter. ALL DUDS.
This would be better called "Round Door Stop Boule" :wacko:

door_stop.jpg

Oh well can't win them all.

#51 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:16 AM

This next bread is called "Warm Comfort Bread"..its a sour dough, no added yeast bread. So far, I am 3 for 3 for breads using a starter. ALL DUDS.
This would be better called "Round Door Stop Boule" :wacko:

door_stop.jpg

Oh well can't win them all.

Well, just tasted my doorstop and guess what ? Its got a good taste ! It has a hint of sourdough, the sweet potato comes thru, all and all not bad. The dark spots are indeed burt and bitter but they are only on the top skin.
I am really enjoying baking bread. :smile:

#52 Doodad

Doodad
  • participating member
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:09 AM

I made my first brioche this past weekend. I made the sausage stuffed brioche from Keller's Bouchon book.

Good gosh what a lot of butter!
Good gosh what a great bread! It came out delicious.

#53 franktex

franktex
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:10 PM

Can someone tell me what causes my bread to bake up like this? It does not happen all the time, and it tastes fine, but it doesn't look so great:

Attached Images

• bread.jpg

Frank in Austin

#54 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:19 PM

Hi Frank.

My loaves often do something similar. I put it down to hot (or cool) spots in the oven, but I haven't yet been scientific enough to work out exactly what's happening and where.

It probably helps that my bread tastes fabulous.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#55 Rico

Rico
  • participating member
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

Whoa. Posting a first-ever loaf on this thread is ... intimidating.

But I'm looking past that, because I made bread. Real bread. And I'm excited about it, dangit! It's the Anadama from BBA. I've never had anadama before, so I don't really know what it's supposed to taste like but if it's supposed to taste good, then I think I did it right (I'm from Texas - anadama's a New England thing, right? Or am I just woefully uninformed?). I probably haven't even noticed a bunch of things that I didn't do right, but right now, I don't mind a bit.

Anadama small.jpg

#56 Aloha Steve

Aloha Steve
  • society donor
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

so I don't really know what it's supposed to taste like but if it's supposed to taste good, then I think I did it right.
Anadama small.jpg

Rico, it look great, nice air pockets inside, I'm not familiar with this particular bread however I'd say you hit it out of the park!

#57 Marlene

Marlene
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

It looks great, especially for your first go around! There's something special about one's first loaf of homemade bread. There's a moment when you just knowthat making bread is going to be one of your great pleasures. My first loaf was a dismal failure, but I fell in love with breadmaking that day.

I've got the dough in the fridge for Artisan Breads everyday, Butterflake rolls. They'll get baked off Saturday morning.
Marlene
cookskorner

#58 Isabelle Prescott

Isabelle Prescott
  • participating member
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

Can someone tell me what causes my bread to bake up like this? It does not happen all the time, and it tastes fine, but it doesn't look so great:

Here's a site that explains some of the reasons for a blow-out of the crust.

http://www.artisanbr...com/blogs/?p=43

#59 franktex

franktex
  • participating member
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

Thanks! I'm still kinda new at this bread thing, but I knew I could get help here!
Frank in Austin

#60 Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim
  • participating member
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

Yet another rye. I have a little rye obsession lately.

Also, I tried sourdough bagels. Still a work in progress, but it was my first official time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread