Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Bread Topic

Bread

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#331 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

IMG_1034.jpg

The crumb.  Good thing I snapped this picture just after the internist sliced the loaf right down the middle (who slices a loaf of bread that way?) - not that it matters, it's 9:30 and it is all gone!

• judiu, demiglace and Steve Irby like this

#332 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_1034.jpg

The crumb.  Good thing I snapped this picture just after the internist sliced the loaf right down the middle (who slices a loaf of bread that way?) - not that it matters, it's 9:30 and it is all gone!

Looks pretty darn amazing! I need a hospital or workplace where I can funnel all my calories.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#333 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_1034.jpg

At least he cut it down the middle.  Moe has been known to cut both ends off.  It would be really annoying if it wasn't for the fact that a loaf doesn't last long around here either.

• judiu and Steve Irby like this

#334 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

He's not a surgeon, then?

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#335 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Thank god no!

• judiu and gfweb like this

#336 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 884 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

Thank god no!

He might be fine at orthopaedics.  That's a lovely bit of bread, though.

• judiu likes this

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#337 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

AnnaN:

was this loaf 'Breville'd'

thanks

No. It's not feasible to put a large Dutch oven in the Breville. As you see with my current replacement lid doohickey it won't even fit!

http://forums.egullet.org/public/style_images/eg_forums_3_4/attachicon.gif image.jpg

If you use silicone lid instead of the usual lid a small Le crueset oven will fit in the BSO. Braise with it all the time.
  • judiu likes this

#338 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:52 AM

"""    small Le crueset oven   """

which one is this? 

#339 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:09 AM

With my leftover bits of dough that I had trimmed to allow my Forkish breads to fit their banneton - I made a couple of pizza's this am.

IMG_1036.jpg

Made with overnight white dough.

IMG_1038.jpg

Made with the 80% biga dough.  

Both are darker than they appear in the pictures.  

• judiu, Ann_T, Blether and 2 others like this

#340 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Thanks to all for the informative posts.  Of course it's the great photos that are the hook and between Ann, Anna and Kerry lots of incentive to adopt new methods .  I didn't realize what a high hydration dough was until reading this post and via link to portions of the Forkish book on google.  I made bread today that I've made many times over the years that includes a biga and is about 80% hydration.   I incorporated some new techniques such as autolyse of the water and flour and the bread turned out to the the best ever.  It had great height and crumb. And for Kerry, that photo is from the side of the loaf!

P1020519(1).JPG

P1020521(1).JPG

• judiu, Ann_T and robirdstx like this

#341 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

And for Kerry, that photo is from the side of the loaf!

attachicon.gifP1020519(1).JPG

attachicon.gifP1020521(1).JPG

As it should be!  Nice looking loaf.

• judiu likes this

#342 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Kerry, Yum.  lovely pizza. Perfect crust.

Steve, great looking bread.

I have a 12 cup batch of my regular (82% hydration) dough on its first rise.  I already used the Autolyse technique.  The only thing I am doing different is using Ken Forkish's  folding method. Half the dough will go into the fridge to be used tomorrow.  Some might be destined for a pizza.

• judiu likes this

#343 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:15 AM

January%2029th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

Yesterday's bread.

Pizza%20January%2029th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

And a pizza for dinner.

• gfweb, Hassouni and Steve Irby like this

#344 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Kerry and Anna N, what brand of all purpose white are you using for your loaves?
I have been using Five Roses, but their unbleached AP is pretty strong, and I always have to add more water than the formula calls for. I am waiting for my copy of the Forkish book, and was wondering if I will need to tweak his formulas as well.

Also, has anyone had any experience using wholegrain spelt flour in place of whole wheat in breads? I have a strong aversion for the flavour of whole wheat, but I love spelt pasta, and I bought some spelt flour to try. Any pointers will be appreciated.

#345 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Diana, I'd also be interested in knowing which flours fellow Canadian's are using.   I only use Rogers.  It doesn't seem to matter whether I use their all-purpose unbleached or their bread flour.  I get good results with both. Identical. I do add more water. 

For the bread I made yesterday, I weighed out the flour by cup, and a cup of Roger's All Purpose unbleached flour was between 160g and 165 g.  When I looked at a couple of conversion charts, one cup of flour equaled 125g to 127 g. 

Edited by Ann_T, 30 January 2014 - 01:05 PM.

• judiu and DianaM like this

#346 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:29 PM

Since No-Frills had flour on sale for $1/2kg (or about 50 c per lb) that's what I use. It's unbleached A/P flour and Kerry worked out that each loaf costs only slightly more than 25c. Hard to beat! The label says that each 30g flour contains 3 g protein. Not sure if that translates to 10% gluten but I am guessing it's darn close. It is almost certainly manufactured to the same specs as national brands but packaged for Loblaws (parent company of NoFrills). (I must often pay $5-6 or more for the same amount of name brand flour.)
  • judiu and rotuts like this

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#347 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Anna, I think Rogers unbleached all purpose and their white bread flour are the same, about 13%.  4g of protein per 30g.

Costco sells Rogers at a much better price than the regular grocery stores.   10K (22 pounds) in the grocery store varies between stores, but it is usually $11.99 to $13.99 and Costco sells the same size for $6.99. So about 31Cents a pound.

I think that your deal with no frills flour works out to an even better deal. If you are paying $1.00 for 2 K that would be a dollar for 4.4 pounds so less than 25 cents a pound. 

~Ann

• judiu likes this

#348 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Anna, I think Rogers unbleached all purpose and their white bread flour are the same, about 13%.  4g of protein per 30g.

Costco sells Rogers at a much better price than the regular grocery stores.   10K (22 pounds) in the grocery store varies between stores, but it is usually $11.99 to $13.99 and Costco sells the same size for $6.99. So about 31Cents a pound.

I think that your deal with no frills flour works out to an even better deal. If you are paying $1.00 for 2 K that would be a dollar for 4.4 pounds so less than 25 cents a pound. 

~Ann

There is no way I could handle a 22 lb bag of flour! That's my issue with Costco. I am dependent on others to lug my groceries into the house so things like bulk purchases take on a whole new meaning. This flour sale was a godsend and between my daughter and Kerry Beal who purchased it for me I can make a lot of bread.
  • judiu and Ann_T like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#349 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

I do add more water. 

Thanks, Ann. I guess this was the gist of my question. I wanted to know whether people who use Canadian AP flour (as opposed to King Arthur or other US brands) routinely adjust bread recipes (given in weight) by adding extra water.

Anna, thanks for the information. An artisan 1-lb boule would cost at least $3-4 at the grocery store - assuming it was still fresh enough for me to want to buy it. That being the case, if loaf I can make costs less, that's even better.
  • judiu likes this

#350 gfweb

gfweb
  • participating member
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

which one is this? 

I don't know the size exactly. It fits without the lid easily in the BSO. I'll guess and say 4 quart...maybe 3.

#351 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

In spite of my resolution to not buy more cookbooks I have purchased "Flour Water Salt Yeast" - and am very glad I did.  The first bread I made was the Saturday White Bread.  With this recipe I made one loaf of bread, pizza and a small cheese focaccia.  All were great.

Last night I started the polish for the Harvest Bread and baked it today.  I can say that it is the best whole wheat bread that I have ever made.  I did not have what germ or wheat bran, but substituted 70 grams of oat bran.  The loaf was tasty and light with a terrific crust. 

I would post a picture, but could not figure out how to do it!  if someone can tell where I can find instructions it would be appreciated.   I am fairly computer savvy and have posted pictures in the past, but can not remember how I did it.

I am determined to work my way through this book.  I find the descriptions on the pincer method, folding the dough and shaping the loaves really helpful.  There also exists U tube videos with Ken Forkish demonstrating.  A picture is worth a thousand words.

I will try Costco next time I need flour as it seems to be much cheaper. Thanks Anne_T for the tip.

Edited by forever_young_ca, 30 January 2014 - 11:51 PM.

Life is short, eat dessert first

#352 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

which one is this?

I don't know the size exactly. It fits without the lid easily in the BSO. I'll guess and say 4 quart...maybe 3.

If you check the bottom of your pan and compare the number you find there with this
http://www.ebay.com/...09365815/g.html
chart you can easily determine its size. The one I use for bread is #24 -- 4.5 quarts.

My 2004 eG Blog

#353 jayt90

jayt90
  • participating member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Kerry and Anna N, what brand of all purpose white are you using for your loaves?
I have been using Five Roses, but their unbleached AP is pretty strong, and I always have to add more water than the formula calls for. I am waiting for my copy of the Forkish book, and was wondering if I will need to tweak his formulas as well.

Also, has anyone had any experience using wholegrain spelt flour in place of whole wheat in breads? I have a strong aversion for the flavour of whole wheat, but I love spelt pasta, and I bought some spelt flour to try. Any pointers will be appreciated.

Diana, I buy AP and whole wheat  flour at Costco, London Ont., plus  Robin Hood Best For Bread multigrain at Loblaw RCSS. I believe these are all Cargill brands now, and 5 Roses is in the same group.

I'm not fond of the whole wheat flavor, but I really like RH multigrain. My best loaves are half AP and half multigrain.

Many bakers like Arva Flourmills for bread, but it is costlier, and you have to be near London Ont.

I'll be working on the whole wheat flavor problem.  Any tips will be helpful.

IMG_8542.JPG

Costco AP with Robin Hood Best For Bread Muiltigrain

Edited by jayt90, 31 January 2014 - 11:29 AM.

• judiu and DianaM like this

#354 DianaM

DianaM
  • participating member
  • 237 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Diana, I buy AP and whole wheat  flour at Costco, London Ont., plus  Robin Hood Best For Bread multigrain at Loblaw RCSS. I believe these are all Cargill brands now, and 5 Roses is in the same group.
I'm not fond of the whole wheat flavor, but I really like RH multigrain. My best loaves are half AP and half multigrain.
Many bakers like Arva Flourmills for bread, but it is costlier, and you have to be near London Ont.

I'll be working on the whole wheat flavor problem.  Any tips will be helpful.

The RH multigrain sounds interesting. If the spelt wholegrain flour does not work out, I will try it.

I am most grateful for your mentioning Arva Flourmills, I had never heard of them before. Their flour is expensive, it's true, but I am very interested to try it, and they do sell through the website. At least the shipping would be free, since I am in Ontario as well, just 1 1/2 hours away. Thanks again!

#355 Hassouni

Hassouni
  • participating member
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:04 AM

January%2029th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

Yesterday's bread.

Pizza%20January%2029th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

And a pizza for dinner.

Wowwwww this pizza looks unreal. As good if not better as the VPN (or whatever) certified, award-winning place I had dinner last night. Can we get some details? (dough, baking method?)

• judiu likes this

#356 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

[attachment=37543:photo.JPG

Here is a picture of the whole wheat bread with polish.  Thanks to everyone for the picture posting instructions.

Attached Images

• photo.JPG

• judiu likes this

#357 forever_young_ca

forever_young_ca
  • participating member
  • 429 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Here is the second loaf.  For some reason the top did not split on the whole wheat bread like it did on the Saturday White Bread.  Perhaps I had it rolled tighter.  It has a great crust on the loaf

photo.JPG

• judiu likes this

#358 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

IMG_1044.jpg

The Forkish Pain de Campagne.  

Working on a semolina loaf that is a hybrid of a Forkish levain and the Tom Cat Semolina Filone.  

• judiu, rotuts, Hassouni and 1 other like this

#359 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 8,866 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

IMG_1044.jpg

The Forkish Pain de Campagne.  

Working on a semolina loaf that is a hybrid of a Forkish levain and the Tom Cat Semolina Filone.  

#360 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Forever_young_ca,  I tend to make mostly white breads, but  looking at your loaf makes me want to make whole bread bread. 

Just look at that crust.  Beautiful Kerry.

"Wowwwww this pizza looks unreal. As good if not better as the VPN (or whatever) certified, award-winning place I had dinner last night. Can we get some details? (dough, baking method?)"

Thanks Hassouni.  I used Ken Forkish's  method for baking pizza .  Instead of the stone being near the bottom of the oven, it is placed near the top, about 6 to 8 inches below the broiler.  Preheat the oven to 550°F (that is as high as mine goes) and just before sliding the pizza into the oven, turn on the broiler for five minutes to give a extra blast of heat to the stone.  Turn the oven back to 550°F and bake the pizza for about 5 or 6 minutes and then finish with two minutes under the broiler.

I decided to get back to making sourdough bread.  Monday I started a  new "starter" using the instructions from Amy's Bread.  Organic rye flour from a local bakery that mills its own flour and spring water.  By Wednesday night is was quite active. I fed it again and on Thursday morning, I used some of the excess to make a biga, which went into a 12 cup batch of dough Thursday night.  I left it to rise in the fridge overnight and then on Friday, I had Moe take the tub out of the fridge mid afternoon so that the dough could come to room temperature by the time I got home from work. Bake two loaves of Sourdough last night.

Sourdough%20bread%20January%2031st%2C%20

Sourdough%20bread%20January%2031st%2C%20

• judiu, Okanagancook, rotuts and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread