Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

The Bread Topic

Bread

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#271 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

Beautiful picture!!!  I'm impressed with it and the follwing is not meant in any way as a criticism of you or anyone else posting on this bread forum.

I have been wondering for a while now.  How did it come to be so important to have lots of air space and little actual bread when we bake at home?  Is there nutrition in the air spaces?  Or are we breadmakers trying to impress other bakers with our knowledge of how our bread should look?

In my everyday, humdrum life I need a certain amount of actual food to chew on and if I don't get this "chewing" in a piece of toast or sandwich I find myself wanting to eat stuff like crunchy, salty snacks. My home made sourdough bread can look all holey if I so choose to make it that way but when I made a sandwich I like a little more substance.

This is a serious question for me.  Am I the only who feels this way?  I appreciate all comments. pro or con.  Not trying to be a smart-a** here!  Thanks for all replies.  I love eGullet in all its aspects.

I'm with you, and I think MJX has it exactly on the nose - it depends on what we grew up with and how we enjoy our bread.  I grew up with dense pumpernickel, sourdough, whole-wheat, spelt, and kamut loaves and so when I'm confronted with an airy-fairy french loaf my first thought is the uncharitable "it's too white!" and the second "it's too light!"  I've come around to liking the airy breads to mop up sauces or soups, but I still feel that they're basically whiffle breads and what I crave, bake and offer is denser and heavier.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#272 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:08 AM

I think we are just talking about two different types of bread.  Some breads are better for sandwiches, like that beautiful loaf Anna posted yesterday.  No right or wrong or better than.  Just depends on personal preference.  

Like MJK, I prefer a bread with more texture, stronger crust, open and chewy , rather than the softer texture of a traditional white/sandwich loaf.   I don't like sweet bread so I never add sugar.  Not unless I'm making a sweet dough for something like cinnamon buns.    But I do add salt.

Homemade%20Soughdough%20Toast%20June%201

Also, the "holey" bread makes great toast. All those holes capture the butter, honey or jam.

~Ann

• judiu and demiglace like this

#273 furzzy

furzzy
  • society donor
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:31 AM

Beautiful picture!!!  I'm impressed with it and the follwing is not meant in any way as a criticism of you or anyone else posting on this bread forum.

I have been wondering for a while now.  How did it come to be so important to have lots of air space and little actual bread when we bake at home?  Is there nutrition in the air spaces?  Or are we breadmakers trying to impress other bakers with our knowledge of how our bread should look?

In my everyday, humdrum life I need a certain amount of actual food to chew on and if I don't get this "chewing" in a piece of toast or sandwich I find myself wanting to eat stuff like crunchy, salty snacks. My home made sourdough bread can look all holey if I so choose to make it that way but when I made a sandwich I like a little more substance.

This is a serious question for me.  Am I the only who feels this way?  I appreciate all comments. pro or con.  Not trying to be a smart-a** here!  Thanks for all replies.  I love eGullet in all its aspects.

IMHO it's just a matter of two different kinds of breads, used for different purposes. Upstream I posted two different breads I'd made. One, baguette, is meant to have the slack dough/open crumb. It's good for lots of different things, but the best way to use it in a sandwich is by cutting it lengthwise to have crust on both sides. On the other hand, the 10-grain, tight crumbed loaf is perfect for sandwiches; but not so great for crostini.

Both types of bread have their places. Not to mention the flatbreads, pitas, tortillas, etc., etc. I, personally, have always found getting a "good" crum on a baguette to be a bit more challenging that the tight crumb on a sandwich loaf - maybe that's why we see pictures of the "open" crumb more often - happily having had a success.

#274 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

image.jpg

New York deli rye (Rose Levy Beranbaum).
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#275 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:05 PM

image.jpg

Another Rose Levy Beranbaum bread. This is the semolina torpedo. The recipe is great for a small family as it makes just one 3/4 lb loaf.
  • demiglace likes this

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#276 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

image.jpg

European-style hearth bread. No idea why it is called that!

My 2004 eG Blog

#277 lesliec

lesliec
  • host
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Originally made by sitting the dough beside the fire?  Looks good, Anna.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

#278 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:22 AM

Originally made by sitting the dough beside the fire?  Looks good, Anna.
Thank you. I don't mean to brag but this was the BEST bread I have ever made (for its stye). It's wonderfully light with a crisp but not tough crust. Four tasters were ecstatic over it and I didn't use any fancy flour as called for in the original recipe.

My 2004 eG Blog

#279 Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense
  • participating member
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Cheese babkas.  Very yum, got snatched up by visiting friends almost before I got to cut a slice!

Cheesebread.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.
My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

#280 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

http://www.thefreshl...-ciabatta-bread

image.jpg
  • judiu, demiglace and lesliec like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#281 rotuts

rotuts
  • participating member
  • 4,687 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:16 PM

I currently only make "Home Made (Machine) Bread"

1/3d white whole wheat. 2/3 all purpose white  ( KA )  this :

BMBread.jpg

its 7 " x 5 " x 6 " high.

not so pretty to look at.  it makes great toast if you cut the crust off, which gets pretty hard in the

toaster oven.  thick cut like this:

Breakfast 2.jpg

it has good texture  ( not the crust )  takes all of 3 min. to the 'start' button and is better than anything I

can buy.

hope to move to some focaccia this fall once my oven gets repaired:

amazon part:   14 $$  repairman to put it in:   150 $ +

will start with 

Franci's

delicious looking focaccia from a few months ago.

Edited by rotuts, 19 September 2013 - 01:21 PM.

• judiu likes this

#282 minas6907

minas6907
  • participating member
  • 595 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

Recently I woke up my starter from a deep deep slumber. I started working again on my baguettes, as well as made a simple boule.

Attached Images

• Baguettes.jpg
  • Proofing.jpg
  • Boule.jpg

• judiu, demiglace, lesliec and 1 other like this

#283 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

Double batch of the Ideas In Food Olive Bread. Decided not to go with the optional suggestion of using half whole wheat flour. I used all white flour and replaced ~1/2 cup of that with potato flour. Dough rising nicely. Back later with the results...

olivedough.JPG

• judiu likes this
It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#284 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:12 PM

...and out of the oven.

olivebread.JPG

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

#285 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

One last shot and I'll give it a rest. Haven't made bread just for the fun of it in a long time.

olivebread2.JPG

• judiu, demiglace and curls like this

#286 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

One last shot and I'll give it a rest. Haven't made bread just for the fun of it in a long time.

It looks fabulous!
  • judiu likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#287 Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook
  • participating member
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

It looks fabulous!

It's tasty. I had softened butter and coarse salt at the ready when I cut the bread and decided it was just fine without them.

• judiu likes this

#288 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Remember this hunt for celery bread as served at the Erie Beach Hotel?
http://forums.egulle...gain/?p=1926517

image.jpg

Voila!

Kerry had a student yesterday who came via Port Dover and stopped at the market to grab 4 pieces of this famous stuff. This morning I tossed it into a dry cast iron pan, browned it in all four sides and we each enjoyed a piece while dissecting it. It is a plain, fluffy, white bread (think Wonderbread), crust sliced off and bread cut into large doorsteps. It is then brushed with melted butter (we think) mixed with celery seed. The photo was taken by my daughter who excitedly ran home with the last two, browned them and then tormented me with the photo.
  • judiu and Ann_T like this

My 2004 eG Blog

#289 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Minas6907, Wow, beautiful baguettes.

Tri2Cook, I agree with Anna.  Love olive bread.

I started a 12 cup batch of bread dough on Monday, with the addition of a biga.

Baguettes%20November%2011th%2C%202013%20

Baked three baguettes on Monday, and used another 1/3 of the dough today

Baguettes%20and%20Pain%20d%27epi%20Novem

for two more baguettes and a black olive pain d' epi.

• judiu, demiglace, rotuts and 1 other like this

#290 Matthew Kirshner

Matthew Kirshner
  • participating member
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

After a little over 8 years, my levain is still holding up great!!  I was bored yesterday and my kids wanted to make something with me.  So we decided cranberry/walnut sourdough.  Although as a common mistake what I do at home, I forgot to lower the oven temperature midway through.  The kids love it regardless.

Attached Images

• IMG_1052.JPG
  • IMG_1053.JPG

• judiu, demiglace and Steve Irby like this

#291 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

image.jpg

Shiitake flat bread from Bon Appetit/Wired. Uses 1/4 cup of powdered shiitake mushrooms. Touted as a huge umami blast but failed to deliver in my opinion. Makes an interesting base for a faux pizza.
  • judiu likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#292 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 193 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

Cornetti with some prepared with almond paste.  The recipe is from Carol Fields The Italian Baker and has become a Christmas tradition.

P1020437(1).JPG

• demiglace likes this

#293 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Steve, I like your Christmas tradition.  It has been awhile since I baked croissants. 

Baked  bread yesterday using  the "Flour Water Salt Yeast - The Saturday White Bread" recipe.

The recipe makes two large round loaves.

The%20Saturday%20White%20Bread%20January

Sliced%20January%206th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

• judiu, demiglace, Blether and 1 other like this

#294 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

Steve, I like your Christmas tradition.  It has been awhile since I baked croissants. 

Baked  bread yesterday using  the "Flour Water Salt Yeast - The Saturday White Bread" recipe.
The recipe makes two large round loaves.

The%20Saturday%20White%20Bread%20January

Sliced%20January%206th%2C%202014-XL.jpg

Wow, Ann_T. That's bread to die for! I am jealous as hell.
  • judiu likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

#295 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks Anna.   I was really happy with the way this bread turned out.

Oh, and it makes great toast.

#296 Ann_T

Ann_T
  • participating member
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

The same bread dough makes a great pizza crust.

Pizza%20Sausage%20and%20Olive%20January%

Pizza%20Sausage%20and%20Olive%20January%

• judiu, demiglace, Franci and 2 others like this

#297 Franci

Franci
  • participating member
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

It looks fabulous Ann! 

#298 Jon Savage

Jon Savage
  • participating member
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

Anna N that looks fabulous.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

#299 Steve Irby

Steve Irby
  • society donor
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Ann_T great looking bread and pizza.  I've started making bread after a lay off of many years.  A nice loaf cost about $6-$7 so I thought I'll make bread and upgrade my beer.  This loaf is Pan Bigio from Carol Fields book made with a starter and 2:1 ratio of bread flour to whole wheat.  It makes great toast.

Anna_N beautiful ciabatta.  I'll try that later in the week or the coccodrillo variation posted by Jon.

P1020479(1).JPG

• judiu, demiglace, Ann_T and 1 other like this

#300 Anna N

Anna N
  • 5,382 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

Steve, those loaves look great! I have dough rising for Ken Forkish' Saturday Bread. Hope the finished loaf is worthy of posting here.
  • judiu likes this

My 2004 eG Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bread