Welcome to the eG Forums!

These forums are a service of the Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to advancement of the culinary arts. Anyone can read the forums, however if you would like to participate in active discussions please join the Society.

Photo

Report:eG Chocolate and Confectionery Conference

Confections Report Chocolate

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#61 isomer

isomer
  • participating member
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

MilissaH: i don't know what people did with the other transfer sheets. I saw lots of people sticking home-made frog stencils onto dipped chocolates, though :)

Lior: Thanks. And thanks for sending all those treats. I had a good time trying to read the labels (I was able to read "kit kat" and "halva", but not much else. It's been a long time).

jturn00: As Kerry said, the icewine filling was a mixture of icewine and neutral glaze, mixed to taste. I'm afraid that I didn't get it cool enough, because those were the causalties when I unmolded my first batch. The caps all broke off.

The curry coconut (or Madras) filling is very good. We made it with bought curry powder. If it were to do again, I'd toast up a fresh mixture of Mughal garam masala (green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, black pepper). It would definitely be worth doing again.

#62 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Posted Image
A couple of pictures of our helpers - I asked Benny if he had seen my bamboo stirrer - Kristina pulled out a bamboo chopstick (used to hold double molds together) from my kit.

Posted Image

One of my favorite pictures - Kristina, Benny and Tori taking a breather.
Some more dinner photos.

Posted Image

Matt giving a hand cutting the greek pita for the appetizers. Calipoutine had refreshed them for us.

Posted Image

Dave Gibson, the chef, seasoning his mushroom soup.

Posted Image

Where's the beef?

Posted Image

Wendy, the second year apprentice, garnishes the soup with the truffle cream.

Posted Image

Chef Peter Storm - the chief patisserie instructor at the college - garnishing. Peter is one of the people I went to Belgium with last spring.

Posted Image

The gang at dinner.

#63 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

sooooooo jealous! it looks like everyone had a great time. as everyone upthread has already mentioned, kerry is just amazing! her energy makes us all look like slackers. maybe we can have a west coast conference one day?!

thanks for posting pictures and everything everyone :biggrin:

#64 ArtMills

ArtMills
  • participating member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

My sisters were raving about the lunch meats and bread and wanted to know if the bread was made by the school for the event?  The rustic flavour and pumpkin seeds were great! 

View Post

Bread was supplied by local Ravine Bakery Cafe (& winery). Christina one of the students who helped us on the weekend works at the bakery that is run by the Olsons: Anna ('Sugar' on Food Network) and husband Michael works with the Niagara College Culinary program.
It is in exchanging the gifts of the earth that you shall find abundance and be satisfied - Kahlil Gibran

art@chocolatefx.ca

#65 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:55 PM

You are welcome :rolleyes:
I appreciate all the recipes and pictures, emotions and sharing!! I can feel the excitement!! I am sure it will all sink in -all that was learned and done in the weeks to come. Here is a picture of truffle shells capped for whoever asked about them. Thanks!

filled and capped- I used a diff color to cap so it shows up clearly.

Posted Image

dipped and decorated:

Posted Image

Edited by Lior, 20 April 2009 - 09:56 PM.

#66 mostlylana

mostlylana
  • participating member
  • 414 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:03 PM

You are welcome :rolleyes:
I appreciate all the recipes and pictures, emotions and sharing!! I can feel the excitement!! I am sure it will all sink in -all that was learned and done in the weeks to come. Here is a picture of truffle shells capped for whoever asked about them. Thanks!

filled and capped- I used a diff color to cap so it shows up clearly.

Posted Image

dipped and decorated:

Posted Image

View Post

I have never done truffles. I must say yours are BEAUTIFUL! I have a question - how do you get the coating so smooth and even - no swirl lines at all?!

#67 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

I just dip with a truffle fork the one that looks like : @ (which here is referred to by all as shtreudel! Silly) tap tap. wipe once and place. I thnk the way you disconnect is important. It is super easy-you should try it. I like making them.

#68 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:15 AM

My sisters were raving about the lunch meats and bread and wanted to know if the bread was made by the school for the event?  The rustic flavour and pumpkin seeds were great! 

View Post

Bread was supplied by local Ravine Bakery Cafe (& winery). Christina one of the students who helped us on the weekend works at the bakery that is run by the Olsons: Anna ('Sugar' on Food Network) and husband Michael works with the Niagara College Culinary program.

View Post

Art - welcome to eG. I think you'll discover there is a whole world of information contained within these virtual pages.

To everyone else out there - I first met Art and his wife Wilma a number of years ago when they became my cocoa butter suppliers (everyone needs a 35 lb pail of cocoa butter). I seem to recall I met Wilma when I was doing a locum for her family doc - asked what she did for a living and found out about their ingredient supply company. A couple of years ago I discovered that they had taken over a chocolate panning operation in Niagara on the Lake and changed it into a wildly successful business that makes a very tasty product indeed (the last guy that had it didn't seem to understand the concept of starting with a quality product to turn out a quality product).

Anyway - now we know how to get ahold of Art when we are looking for a strange ingredient.

#69 cmflick

cmflick
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for posting all of the recipes above, Kerry. I've got to get busy trying some of these. I've been thinking about trying fruit caramels for a while, so I think that I'll try out these recipes.

It doesn't sound like anyone reached a conclusion about the three different ways of making ganache. Is that true?

Were these fruit caramels for piping into shells or did you slab them and dip them?

All of the details are fantastic!

#70 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:49 AM

It doesn't sound like anyone reached a conclusion about the three different ways of making ganache.  Is that true? 

Were these fruit caramels for piping into shells or did you slab them and dip them?

All of the details are fantastic!

View Post

I think that's a fair assumption. I'll have to do a small side by side comparison of the 3 methods at home, so I can reach some sort of conclusion.

The Passion Fruit Mango caramels are cuttable, the Passion Fruit caramel under piped fillings is for piping. The piped one contains chocolate, the cut one doesn't, but does dip nicely in chocolate.

#71 Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal
  • participating member
  • 9,949 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

Anna reminded me this morning that I forgot to post about the wonderful prizes that Chocolat-chocolat provided for us.

Chocoera won the Barry Callebaut kit - that contained quite a nice variety of goodies (Kyle tried to steal it from her - I coveted it as well). Erika - could you post on what it contained?

Wilma won the dipping forks I believe.

Pagosselin won the Wild Sweets books by Cindy and Domenic Duby.

I think it was MelissaH that won the two molds - I got so distracted by stressing that these molds shouldn't be sprayed with colour - that I kind of lost track of who won. Correct me please if I am wrong.

These molds are new at Chocolat-chocolat - they are a 'truffle' mold. Essentially all the cavities in the mold are a little bit different so they look like hand made truffles when they are done. The mold however has a matte surface finish rather than a shiny one - so when you spray with colour (particularly with a pastel green) they look kind of moldy rather than beautifully finished.

#72 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

sorry but can someone explain the term "deglaze" I assume it means just adding the puree? :hmmm:

#73 chocoera

chocoera
  • participating member
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

Anna reminded me this morning that I forgot to post about the wonderful prizes that Chocolat-chocolat provided for us.

Chocoera won the Barry Callebaut kit - that contained quite a nice variety of goodies (Kyle tried to steal it from her - I coveted it as well).  Erika - could you post on what it contained?

I think it was MelissaH that won the two molds - I got so distracted by stressing that these molds shouldn't be sprayed with colour - that I kind of lost track of who won.  Correct me please if I am wrong.

These molds are new at Chocolat-chocolat - they are a 'truffle' mold.  Essentially all the cavities in the mold are a little bit different so they look like hand made truffles when they are done.  The mold however has a matte surface finish rather than a shiny one - so when you spray with colour (particularly with a pastel green) they look kind of moldy rather than beautifully finished.

View Post

hi! the cocoa barry chocolate kit had a set of chocolate handling gloves made out of a nice cloth, a super long and sturdy sturdy sturdy "stir stick" (which i already used last night when stirring a triple batch of fudge!) a long straight spatula, a "spackle" spatula (i don't know the proper term, but it looks like those you would buy at home depot...but really really nice!) a dipping fork, and a huge supply of disposable piping bags...all in all, a very well-rounded and appreciated gift!

#74 alanamoana

alanamoana
  • participating member
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

sorry but can someone explain the term "deglaze" I assume it means just adding the puree? :hmmm:

View Post

often the term "deglaze" is used when you're making a sauce or something and have residue left in the pan. you add a liquid (like wine or water or whatever) to the hot pan and that removes the extras (flavor)...everything in the pan is used in the sauce.

in pastry, people often use this to mean adding liquid to a caramel that has reached the proper stage of cooking.

#75 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

thank you!

#76 MelissaH

MelissaH
  • participating member
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

I think it was MelissaH that won the two molds - I got so distracted by stressing that these molds shouldn't be sprayed with colour - that I kind of lost track of who won.  Correct me please if I am wrong.

View Post

No, it wasn't me. But if anyone has some extras that they'd like to donate, I'd take 'em!

MelissaH
MelissaH
Oswego, NY
Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

#77 cmflick

cmflick
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Can someone post a link to the chocolat-chocolat molds that are matte and can't be sprayed with color? I'm intrigued.

#78 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

It occurs to me that after we did the 3 methods of slab ganache making - the Greweling, the Morato, and the Wybauw - we didn't do a side by side comparison. 

Could everyone comment on the slab they made and what the result was - did you compare your ganache with the other two?

View Post

My team did the Morato method which turned into a soft slab suitable for piping, but not really for enrobing. The method called for heating the chocolate to between 40C - 45C and adding the infused cream when it cooled to about 30C.

I suspect if we ignored heating the chocolate to that high a temperature, and used tempered chocolate, we would have had a firm slab.

I remember seeing the result of another team which had also done this method and had coated both sides of their equally soft slab. This allowed them to at least attempt to cut and enrobe the pieces.
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things
Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#79 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

also, a few questions regarding that packet of info kerry handed out:  i did a wybauw ganache..thought the texture was very smooth and flavored carried well but it turned out super soft.  we pre-coated the bottom and let set in fridge to harden, it helped when using the guitar cutter, so no worries...but would like to know if we think we just didn't have enough chocolate? (270 g, 250 g cream, 25 g invert, 50 g butter) or if it was the method (mix 30 C cream with 30 C chocolate, then add room temp butter) any thoughts?  should chocolate go up to 300 or 320 g?

We made the Wybauw too and also ended up with a really soft ganache.

I think his method is supposed to create a fairly firm ganache because the chocolate never leaves temper (doesn’t Grewling also table his slabbed ganaches?).

Greweling generally specifies tabling the slabbed ganaches until they reach the desired consistency. In several instances he specifies using tempered chocolate as well.

I think the problem might have been the percentage chocolate we were using; if I remember correctly that bags said that it was a 55% chocolate. I think most of the dark recipes with 1:1-ish ratios are formulated for 65%-ish chocolate, so this might have caused the ganache to be softer. A bit more chocolate would have probably helped (or a bit darker chocolate).

At least that’s my best guess.

View Post

Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

#80 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

First, thank you Kerry for organizing a great weekend. You really put together a first class event and I suspect that we all had a wonderful time.

Second, I personally had a great time meeting everyone, putting faces to names, and comparing notes on business issues, supplies, and techniques. Of course we shouldn't forget simply hanging out with a bunch of cool people.

Saturday dinner was one of the best I've had in a very long time. My favorite dish was the wild mushroom soup topped with truffle infused cream. You can't go wrong with truffles (wild or chocolate).

Finally, I think I must have taken close to 300 pictures. As I just returned home a little over an hour ago, I'll get them onto the computer, sort out the cruft and post them very soon.

I would like to pose three questions:

1. If you attended this years event, would you attend a similar event next year?

2. If you did NOT attend this years event, would you be interested in attending next year?

3. How important is location to you?

The reason I ask is that I did indeed suggest in a conversation with Kerry that we do this again and that I would work on such a project. It is my intent to see if I could get my culinary alma mater and a local company to "sponsor" us and let us use their facilities in Gaithersburg, Maryland (near Washington DC).

Please post your thoughts here or send me a PM.

Again, thanks to you all.
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#81 Lior

Lior
  • participating member
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

Location mean not much as everything is far-unless it is Europe!!
Yes I think I would commit to coming. Thanks and waiting for the pictures! First settle in!

#82 tammylc

tammylc
  • participating member
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

I'd definitely be interested in attending next year, and location isn't important to me.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

#83 lebowits

lebowits
  • participating member
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

I've got all my photos on the computer and I'm in the process of uploading the first edited set to Flickr. These are just from the first day of our 3 day event.

You can find the pictures here.

Enjoy these and I'll get the rest uploaded over the next day or so.

:biggrin:
Steve Lebowitz
Doer of All Things

#84 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:36 PM

Steve,

1.Yes
2.Yes
3.I'd love to come to MD. We were from so many places that I think MD would work for just about everyone that made it to Niagara.

I'm having all the "So, what did you do over spring break" conversations now that I'm back at school. I keep repeating over and over what a great bunch of people I got to spend time with. And I made some chocolates. And had a phenomenal dinner. Here, look at the pictures. Here, taste one. And check out Erika's website. And all these other ones, too. And, and, and. They can't shut me up. Totally up for another one.

Trying to figure out where to get massive quantities of chocolate in Chicago. Anyone?

#85 cmflick

cmflick
  • participating member
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

First, thank you Kerry for organizing a great weekend.  You really put together a first class event and I suspect that we all had a wonderful time.

Second, I personally had a great time meeting everyone, putting faces to names, and comparing notes on business issues, supplies, and techniques.  Of course we shouldn't forget simply hanging out with a bunch of cool people.

Saturday dinner was one of the best I've had in a very long time.  My favorite dish was the wild mushroom soup topped with truffle infused cream.  You can't go wrong with truffles (wild or chocolate).

Finally, I think I must have taken close to 300 pictures.  As I just returned home a little over an hour ago, I'll get them onto the computer, sort out the cruft and post them very soon.

I would like to pose three questions:

1.  If you attended this years event, would you attend a similar event next year?

2.  If you did NOT attend this years event, would you be interested in attending next year?

3.  How important is location to you?

The reason I ask is that I did indeed suggest in a conversation with Kerry that we do this again and that I would work on such a project.  It is my intent to see if I could get my culinary alma mater and a local company to "sponsor" us and let us use their facilities in Gaithersburg, Maryland (near Washington DC).

In answer to your questions, I wasn't able to attend this year, but would be very interested in attending next year.  Gaithersburg would be fanstastic for me.  I would definitely prefer somewhere on the East Coast that I could drive to (I'm in CT).

Please post your thoughts here or send me a PM.

Again, thanks to you all.

View Post

In answer to your question, I was not able to attend this year and and am definitely interested in being there next year. I would have been there this year, but had another trip already booked elswhere. Gaithersburg would be great for me. I would prefer somewhere on the East Coast that I could either drive to or get to by train (I live in CT).

#86 John DePaula

John DePaula
  • participating member
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Ok,... finally made it back home. Took me 30 hours to get back to Portland thanks to the big storm on the East Coast. And for those of you who may be wondering, Newark airport is a pit at 3am in the morn.

But all that time with my teeny-tiny laptop allowed me to do a first pass at processing all of those pix. Let me know if I've made any errors in captioning or if there's a photo missing that you'd like to see.

Big, big hugs go out to Kerry for all of her hard work, and to all of you who helped to make the conference a success esp. Anna N, John N the photographer, the Staff and Students at Niagara College - you guys are the best!

Kerry's Chocolate and Confectionery Conference 2009
John DePaula
DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

#87 Anna N

Anna N
  • eGullet Society staff emeritus
  • 6,620 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:54 PM

Ok,... finally made it back home. Took me 30 hours to get back to Portland thanks to the big storm on the East Coast.  And for those of you who may be wondering, Newark airport is a pit at 3am in the morn.

But all that time with my teeny-tiny laptop allowed me to do a first pass at processing all of those pix.  Let me know if I've made any errors in captioning or if there's a photo missing that you'd like to see.

Big, big hugs go out to Kerry for all of her hard work, and to all of you who helped to make the conference a success esp. Anna N, John N the photographer, the Staff and Students at Niagara College - you guys are the best!

View Post

Fabulous photos, John! You are certainly multi-talented and both hubby and I feel privileged to have met you.
Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

"It either works fine or not, but what the heck. This is bread, not birth control." Susan of Wild Yeast blog
Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog
My 2004 eG Blog

#88 beacheschef

beacheschef
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

How about the goodies that Lior sent for us to enjoy - I've been working on the lokum and some of the snacky foods today.  What did you take home?  How are you enjoying it?

View Post

Lior:
Thanks so much for the boxes of goodies you sentl. Wish you were there, but the goodies were an acceptable substitute. I brought home the chocolate halvah for one of my customers to sample - I'm hoping to use it in a filling for cakes I make for his restaurant. I also brought home the Chai tea and (what feels like) coffee, as I'll infuse these flavors in cream for some new amazing cakes for this same customer.

I'll let you know what I do with these items as I get around to using them.
Mary
Beaches Pastry
May your celebrations be sweet!
Beaches Pastry Blog

#89 Marmish

Marmish
  • participating member
  • 674 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ok,... finally made it back home. Took me 30 hours to get back to Portland thanks to the big storm on the East Coast.  And for those of you who may be wondering, Newark airport is a pit at 3am in the morn.

But all that time with my teeny-tiny laptop allowed me to do a first pass at processing all of those pix.  Let me know if I've made any errors in captioning or if there's a photo missing that you'd like to see.

View Post

Very nice John! I'm so sorry it took you so long to get back! My flight was canceled Sunday evening, but I was able to hop on a Southwest flight into another airport. Thank goodness Chicago has two!

#90 beacheschef

beacheschef
  • participating member
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:25 PM

Chocoera won the Barry Callebaut kit - that contained quite a nice variety of goodies (Kyle tried to steal it from her - I coveted it as well).  Erika - could you post on what it contained?

These molds are new at Chocolat-chocolat - they are a 'truffle' mold.  Essentially all the cavities in the mold are a little bit different so they look like hand made truffles when they are done.  The mold however has a matte surface finish rather than a shiny one - so when you spray with colour (particularly with a pastel green) they look kind of moldy rather than beautifully finished.

View Post

I flew home with these two chocolate molds - haven't had time to use them yet. Will post photos sometime next week when I can catch my breath.

Thanks to Chocolat-chocolat for donating them!
Mary
Beaches Pastry
May your celebrations be sweet!
Beaches Pastry Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Confections, Report, Chocolate